Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

when people work on the short block and paint them .................

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:12 AM
thehammer

Default when people work on the short block and paint them .................

When people work on the short block and paint them like a nice silver or grey ( you know what I mean) what do they use to scrape the grease or dirt the hell of it.
and who has seen some of them done here. I did a search but only got stuff on the valve cover
Old 03-02-2004, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (thehammer)

Take it to a machine shop and have them hot tank it. It will be clean then!
Old 03-02-2004, 08:23 AM
thehammer

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (-TRINiTRON-)

whats that usually costs.......... and what else is needed after that
Old 03-02-2004, 08:26 AM

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (thehammer)

The place I take my work to charges $20 to hot tank an aluminum block. Just make sure the block is completely bare and I like to give it a once over with some engine degreaser, simple green, scour pads and a wire brush just to get the really caked on crap off.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:37 AM
thehammer

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (RedlinedVTEC)

what u mean completely bare........... like nothing in it, wide open wholes and all. and if I dont put on degreaser will they charge me extra for them to do it
Old 03-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the machine shops glass bead them? it's where they shoot a bunch of small beads to knock off the crap on the block
Old 03-02-2004, 08:57 AM
thehammer

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (The_Magnificient_Butcher)

oh dam for real............... I am trying to figure out which engine to buy for my new 1997 civic lx and I need to figure out by tonight.......any ideas
Old 03-02-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can have the machine shop disassemble your engine..but you'd have to pay them to disassemble and assemble your block...why do you want to clean it like that?? it's just a waste of time and won't make your car go any faster..just do it the old fashion way...degreaser..if you want a really clean engine bay i heard tire spray works wonders..don't even have to wipe anything down

EDIT* how much money you got to spend?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 AM
thehammer

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (The_Magnificient_Butcher)

yeah I know but when I show people my engine I dont want to show a ugly *** engine that is quick u know what I MEAN
Old 03-02-2004, 09:08 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The_Magnificient_Butcher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just do it the old fashion way...degreaser..</TD></TR></TABLE>

because using degreaser only cleans the outside of the block. hot tanking it completely cleans it and clears out a LOT of the **** in the cooling and oil passages that could have built up over time from use.

My machine shop only charges $35 for a hot tank on a 4 cylinder engine block. By the time you buy the cans of degreaser, wire brushes, brillo pads, etc you've just about paid that much...and you still have to scrub and scrub...

vs. the hot tank doing all the work for you and doing a better job at it.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:12 AM
thehammer

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (stackz)

thats a way to put it I guess............lol
Old 03-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (stackz)

yeah, but if the engine is in the car..i dn't knw..i would be to lazy to take out the engine and disassemble the whole thing
Old 03-02-2004, 09:16 AM
thehammer

very true also
Old 03-02-2004, 09:19 AM
thehammer

I want my engine to look like this guys

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=702263
Old 03-02-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that's how my engine used to look like until my car started leaking some oil..it' sjust dirty and i'm too lazy to clean it..not sure if my block got hottanked..but i know it was glassbeaded for sure.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:30 AM
thehammer

oh I c
Old 03-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (-TRINiTRON-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -TRINiTRON- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take it to a machine shop and have them hot tank it. It will be clean then!</TD></TR></TABLE>

DO NOT GET YOUR BLOCK HOTTANKED!!!!

sorry but people on here that say get this and that hottanked ar wrong.. y0ou can not just hot tank aluminum blocks and heads like that. machine shops have other ways of cleaning your bare blocks than hot tank. i had my block decked, honed and cleaned for liek 240 bux total and my block came out looking brand new then i went ahead and painted it aluminum silver as well now it looks killer.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

DO NOT GET YOUR BLOCK HOTTANKED!!!!

sorry but people on here that say get this and that hottanked ar wrong.. y0ou can not just hot tank aluminum blocks and heads like that. machine shops have other ways of cleaning your bare blocks than hot tank. i had my block decked, honed and cleaned for liek 240 bux total and my block came out looking brand new then i went ahead and painted it aluminum silver as well now it looks killer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, but you're wrong. All you need to do is talk to your machinist and make certain that they have a tank for doing aluminum. You are 100% fine having your block hot tanked. The only thing I would not recommend is doing a cylinder head, but block will be fine.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:06 PM
thehammer

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (RedlinedVTEC)

getting very interesting
Old 03-03-2004, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The key idea here is to make sure the shop has a hot tank for aluminum.

Hot tanks that clean V8 blocks will actually 'etch' aluminum (pretty sure thats the term).
Old 03-03-2004, 04:47 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: when people work on the short block and paint them ................. (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The key idea here is to make sure the shop has a hot tank for aluminum.

Hot tanks that clean V8 blocks will actually 'etch' aluminum (pretty sure thats the term).</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, the chemicals used for iron blocks are corrosive enough to etch aluminum pretty badly. They just flush lines and use a different chemical mix for aluminum blocks....or as ppl have said...use another dedicated tank if they got enough bling bling for 2 tanks.

lol, if you dont want to take your engine out then just get some really good engine degreaser and take the car to the wash and pressure wash that bitch...that'll get it mostly clean.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:28 AM
thehammer

kool