Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

when I make a U turn I get one solid clunk from the front of my car!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when I make a U turn I get one solid clunk from the front of my car!?!

My drivers side front wheel bearings are bad and are in need of replacement. The thing is there has never been a noise to signal a bad bearing, but when jacked up the wheel has serious play in it.

When I turn to the left for a U turn I hear a clunk. and thats it. I need to replace the bearings anyways, but could this be something else?
Old 05-26-2004, 10:10 AM

Default Re: when I make a U turn I get one solid clunk from the front of my car!?! (yusoslo)

bump
Old 05-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when I make a U turn I get one solid clunk from the front of my car!?! (yusoslo)

cv joint for the clunk. That's probably where your play is coming from also. If it isn't making a noise, your bearing probably isn't shot. It's just the cv joint. Can it be a little sloppy when you drive?

FYI-you only have one bearing on each wheel.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Re: when I make a U turn I get one solid clunk from the front of my car!?! (JRI94)

Sounds like its time for some new axles! I just had to replace mine. Boy was it fun!!
Old 05-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Pooping on children

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you jack your car up and there is play in the wheel then you need ball joints not axles
Old 05-26-2004, 12:11 PM

Default Re: when I make a U turn I get one solid clunk from the front of my car!?! (BADEG6)

yeah there is no noise at all, which makes me curious about it being the bearings.

I dont know why one of the axles would be bad,

I replaced both of my front rotors and pads and I still get a vibtration when braking, all of this seems to be from the front driver wheel.

And yes there is play when the car is jacked up.

The only time I hear the noise is when slowing down to turn into a driveway or u turn like I said.

and the CV boots look fine
Old 05-26-2004, 12:25 PM

to clarify this anymore when jacked up and my hands at 3 and 9 O clock

I can move the wheel towards and away from me......so when I pull with my right hand and push with my left there is play in the wheel.

and like I said it always vibrated while braking before and after the brake change

(the vibration is very minimal though)
Old 05-26-2004, 12:39 PM
Pooping on children

you need ball joints my friend
Old 05-26-2004, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I say balljoints
Old 05-26-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

ok sounds good, is there a way to visually look at them, the passenger side has a small tear but thats it, or would the wear be internal?
Old 05-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

torn boots would probably mean its crapped out on the inside...resulting from the tear
You could unbolt the joint (leave the arm attached) and remove the boot and inspect the ball.
If it has a lot of play/moves easily then its bad
Old 05-26-2004, 02:05 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

you have to get someone to shimmy the wheel like you were doing before. you have to see whats making the play, it CAN be the balljoints, but it can ALSO be the tie-rod end. Check the boots on the cv-joint. Also check all the bushings in the control arm. How many miles on the car? When was anything on the suspension last replaced or touched?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:06 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yusoslo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My drivers side front wheel bearings are bad and are in need of replacement. The thing is there has never been a noise to signal a bad bearing, but when jacked up the wheel has serious play in it.

When I turn to the left for a U turn I hear a clunk. and thats it. I need to replace the bearings anyways, but could this be something else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you know the wheel bearings are bad, start with that. replace them. if you have 3 little problems, they can be 1 big problem causing a bunch of diffrent things.
start fixing it up before you start assuming its all these other stuff. of course there might not have been a noise before, as the problem gets worse so do the indications.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: when I make a U turn I get one solid clunk from the front of my car!?! (IVI)

well I dont know if the bearings are bad, I was assuming due to wheel play.

The problem is not noticable during driving, just with the radio off and doing a half lock or more turn at slow speeds there is one clunk that can not be felt just mildly heard.

I will check the ball joints

they do not need pressed correct? I would like to fix this myself and wont have access to a garage for a week.

also.......can ball joints cause the minor shaking from the brakes??