Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

when i hit about 60mph, my steering wheel starts shaking.......what could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when i hit about 60mph, my steering wheel starts shaking.......what could this be?

well you see the title.......i have been riding on bad axles for a while now...could this be it?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when i hit about 60mph, my steering wheel starts shaking.......what could this be? (BLACK97EKCOU

possible. also check your wheel balance and alightment. best thing to do is take the wheels off and have a peak around.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:08 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: when i hit about 60mph, my steering wheel starts shaking.......what could this be? (BLACK97EKCOU

if it does it all the time, it is usually the wheel balance. if it only happens when on the gas and goes away when you let off, usually itis in the inner cv joint which will be taken care of it you replace the axles.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your car lowered at all?

my car did the same thing, but after i put in new shocks i had to raise the car up a bit by adjusting the coil overs and the shaking was better.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:42 PM

okay the plot thickens......i took the front wheels off today to paint them....this just started to happen a couple of hours ago.......i was running hard hit about 85 and everything was smooth...merged on the highway...then all of a sudden it was shaking......stupid question though....if there was something wrong with the rear wheels, would that make the front shake? 2 days ago i was painting my back wheels, when i go to put them on a hear a loud bang behind me..car fell off the jack (rear driver)....nothing seemed damaged though...what do you think?
Old 05-25-2004, 05:45 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by burningwrek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is your car lowered at all?

my car did the same thing, but after i put in new shocks i had to raise the car up a bit by adjusting the coil overs and the shaking was better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah h&r race ... 2 1/2 fr...2 1/4 rr....stock shocks
Old 05-25-2004, 05:57 PM

You could have flat-spotted your tires. I had the same thing for the longest time in my car. Got new tires and fixed the problem. Try that.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jameskersten1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your alightment. &lt;--- Doesnt cause vibration. </TD></TR></TABLE>

More than likely the cause is that the wheels need to be balanced.

NOTE: If your wheels are bent you will have the vibration as long as you own those wheels.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check if the wheels are balanced, i know when i had my steelies on the wheel would shake alot, but when i put on my si's there was no shaking at all,
Old 05-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check if the wheels are balanced, i know when i had my steelies on the wheel would shake alot, but when i put on my si's there was no shaking at all, </TD></TR></TABLE>

were the steelies bent or where the tires in such bad shape (flinstone like) that balancing wouldn't save their lives
Old 05-25-2004, 06:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5w20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NOTE: If your wheels are bent you will have the vibration as long as you own those wheels.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

But if my wheels were bent wouldn't they vibrate all the time not only after i hit a certain mph?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends on how bad they are bent. They would need to be bent really bad (basically to the point where it can't hold air) to notice it at low speeds. Ususally you won't notice it at low speeds.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:26 PM

Damn that sucks *****!!!..i just did them this morning and they look hot..i'll be ****** pissed if its that!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok try this... put a jack under the center of the car. Jack it up kind of high. Push back and forth on the bottom of the wheels and look for problems with the bushings on the control arms and basically anything that looks loose. if there is basically any back and forth movement replace whatever is wrong. I picked up a bushing for my control arm today for 30 bucks... and its a lot better.

I was on my way home from wisconson(to michigan) and my car started to shake so bad that I had to pull over. I look at my tires the outside is good, but when I pull them off the inside has NO tread. All the way down to where I could see the steel belts. I'm lucky I didn't ******* get killed. So I'd check tires, bushings, tie rods, anything bad should be pretty noticable. I read something about wheel bearings possibly causing shaking, but I'm not sure about that.

It still shakes when I hit about 80 so I don't know if something is still wrong... but it feels a lot better with the new tires and new bushing.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

balance your wheels
Old 05-26-2004, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sohc_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">balance your wheels</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-26-2004, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5w20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

More than likely the cause is that the wheels need to be balanced.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i know alignment doest affect vibration but it would hurt to get one down and clear about any chances of adjustments in that area.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:34 AM

Sounds like a stupid question but in all honesty....Are you sure your torqued your lug nuts down plenty tight? Do you have stock steelies/rims? If not you could need centering rings. Another possibility could be loose/worn front end parts, grab hold of your wheels while they are tightened down and shake from side to side and top to bottom to make sure there is no play......and of course like everyone else said HAVE THEM BALANCED!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2004, 01:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Devine &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a stupid question but in all honesty....Are you sure your torqued your lug nuts down plenty tight? Do you have stock steelies/rims? </TD></TR></TABLE>

special editions up front......problem solved.....center cap must have gotten pushed in too much during painting.....it was holding the wheel away from the hub... ..**** it...at least its nothing serious
Old 05-26-2004, 01:10 PM

Stupid but make sure your lugs are on tight! Balance the tires.
Old 05-26-2004, 01:17 PM

Stupid question but when people say balance the wheels do they mean balance the tires?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:18 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stupid question but when people say balance the wheels do they mean balance the tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>

take them to a tire shop, and they electronic balance the tires. it costs at a side shop about 5 per tire, at sears its like 11 per tire.

check to see if the rim is bent:
jack the car up and spin the tire while its in the air, look for any wobble or bend in the rim.

there is no way you can check the balance without the machine. a vibration at highway speeds usually indicates improper balancing. if you want take your rim to the shop and have them put it on the balancer, the balancer spins it, and you can see if its bent or not.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:14 PM

okay..not sure if people saw my last post.....its taken care of WAS NOT TIRE BALANCING...thanx for all the input though!
Old 05-26-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stupid question but when people say balance the wheels do they mean balance the tires?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Its balancing the whole assembly wheel and tire. Its best to find a place that does road force and match mounting. You can balance out and egg but it won't roll smooth. With road force the machine can find the hard and or high spot on the tire and match it to the low spot on the rim. This will give you the best balance on that particular wheel and tire. Hubrings are aslo a must on any aftermarket wheel thats not hubcentric. you can balance the wheels out a million times but if its not centered on the hub you're waisting your time, and money. my $.02
Old 05-26-2004, 04:40 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

i personally think those center rings are a waste. ive been working on tires for a while and ive had no complaints for not using them. sometimes they dont even correctly fit which is why i dont use them sometimes. the lug nuts if tightend properly will center it.

Quick Reply: when i hit about 60mph, my steering wheel starts shaking.......what could this be?