Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

When driving Over a wide Line On the road

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When driving Over a wide Line On the road

My car literally feels if i dont keep my hand the wheel it will go where ever it decides too when traveling on a wide CRACK in the road

THe ones that really get to me are on the freeway when in my lane out of the blue a huge 1 mile crack appears and if my tire travels over it i swerve right to left

Last edited by b20bFourDoorCivicLX; 12-17-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: When driving Over a wide Line On the road

Where and how long ago was the alignment done ? all 4 tires have the correct amount of air ? I've had one with a small leak that was let go too far and the car liked to pull to the right. Figured it out got it fixed all was good.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're losing traction. Those painted lines are paint - they don't have anywhere near as much grip as normal blacktop/asphalt/tarmac/gravel/whatever you normally drive on, so you're going to lose traction on them. If you're on the gas when you tag the line, yes, that's normal for FWD cars, especially when it's wet outside.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

alignment wasnt that long , and wheel doesnt go to one side

all roads are not smooth so for example they have wide cracks that run maybe a mile or less (freeway) if im traveling with the crack and my right tire travels on the crack steering wheel jerks
Old 12-17-2013, 05:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by NotARacist
You're losing traction. Those painted lines are paint - they don't have anywhere near as much grip as normal blacktop/asphalt/tarmac/gravel/whatever you normally drive on, so you're going to lose traction on them. If you're on the gas when you tag the line, yes, that's normal for FWD cars, especially when it's wet outside.
LOL , Not even close to what i was asking but its ok im having trouble explaining...

even when im traveling on a un-even road where it volcanoes

im guessing because im low...
Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Was that a troll post lol ?? I think op means even if he's coasting on the line. And even if he's accelerating I doubt he's making the power to loose traction on the freeway. To explain the paint idea at least here the pavement still has tons of grip pain or not sorry but I've never heard that before. If it was a troll you got me .
Old 12-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your tie rods are probably shot or worn out and throwing ur alignment out. I had this same problem before and also had torque steer like a ****... I definitely had to be holding onto the wheel tight all the time... jack the front of the car up and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and shake it side to side . if its loose or sloppy replace ur outter tie rods
Old 12-17-2013, 06:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: When driving Over Huge crack in Lane

Originally Posted by apexi_rsx
your tie rods are probably shot or worn out and throwing ur alignment out. I had this same problem before and also had torque steer like a ****... I definitely had to be holding onto the wheel tight all the time... jack the front of the car up and grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and shake it side to side . if its loose or sloppy replace ur outter tie rods

im almost certain my tie rods are ok....
this shop who aligns my car is a picky basterd he didnt even want to balance my tire because they had un even wear..he would of said something for sure

i have little trouble with controlling my steering unless their is a huge crack that happens to be in my lane

i have power steering just throwing that out there
Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, yeah, didn't understand what you were asking then. Disregard.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no idea how anyone who has owned a lowered honda hasn't felt this. its exacerbated by your power steering. worn tie rods/ball joints/alignment/balance can amplify it.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this exact feeling. Anytime there is work being done on the street I keep an extra tight grip on the wheel. It's almost like the wheels want to follow the crack/edge/ect.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by marcelosm
I know this exact feeling. Anytime there is work being done on the street I keep an extra tight grip on the wheel. It's almost like the wheels want to follow the crack/edge/ect.
YEss sir! exactly what i was explaining!
Old 12-21-2013, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by marcelosm
Agreed, worn suspension components will always give you NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) concerns, but you said it is only when you are driving on the crack or defect in the road. i believe that the treads of you tires are just tracking or following the cracks or defects in the road. i have experienced this in my 96 HX and the suspension is 100% stock, it even happens when i drive different makes and models, i work at a dealership so i get to drive a lot of different whips. Inspect your suspension at every oil change, rotate your tires, make sure tire pressure is correct for all tires, and just putting it out there, try not driving on the cracks, in my opinion it just wears your tires out prematurely.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:31 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by AGGstyle96Hx
Agreed, worn suspension components will always give you NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) concerns, but you said it is only when you are driving on the crack or defect in the road. i believe that the treads of you tires are just tracking or following the cracks or defects in the road. i have experienced this in my 96 HX and the suspension is 100% stock, it even happens when i drive different makes and models, i work at a dealership so i get to drive a lot of different whips. Inspect your suspension at every oil change, rotate your tires, make sure tire pressure is correct for all tires, and just putting it out there, try not driving on the cracks, in my opinion it just wears your tires out prematurely.

thanks man great advice