Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

When doing an oil change, should I warm the car up completely first, or leave it cold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When doing an oil change, should I warm the car up completely first, or leave it cold?

When doing an oil change, should I warm the car up at all before I change the oil? Or, should it remain cold?

After the oil change is done, is there anything in particular that you have to do to get the oil flowing, or do you just start it up normally?

Also I have 2 jack stands. Is it okay to just jack up the front of the car and not the back? Does it matter that the car will be at an angle? Will all the oil be able to drain out this way?

Lastly, where is the oil filter on a 99 civic Si? Is it better go access it from the top or from underneath?

Thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need to warm up the car to do the oil change..some ppl just do that so the oil gets warm and flows out faster than when its cold..but it doesnt matter

fill up the motor with however many qts of oil the manual says. check ur dipstick b4 you start the car, shut off the car and recheck ur dipstick again and add as needed to the top mark...

having 2 jack stands is fine and you only need to jack up the front...most ppl just use a jack and not even jack stands...the drain plug is towards the back of the engine so if the front is jacked up, most of the oil will come out more..

oil filter is always easier to get to from bottom on honda/acura engines..on some other cars filters will be on stop(domestic)..just look above your drain plug and it should be right above the halfshaft
Old 10-29-2007, 09:21 AM

go from the bottom...
jacking up the front will be better itll make the oil come out easier..

also start your car and let run for like 3-5 mins that way the oil is warmed up but not hotter than crap and itll drain faster and much more dirty oil will come out if you do it like that..

and what he said ^^^