Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheels off balance..??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheels off balance..??

Ok we'll i've checked into everything I can to try an resolve this issue but it seems i may be trying to hard cuz i cant figure out wtf is wrong.... My steering wheel shakes irratically back an forth when im goin over 40mph an start to ease on the brake but once it gets to like 25-20'ish the shaking stops an no noise or anything... Well today i was drivin, an while driving i hear "tick tick tick tick tick tick" coming from my front end, well as i slowed down the ticking slowed down to, it almost sounded like something was rubbing an every rotation of the tire it hit on whatever it was rubbing against... Well, case in point im starting to believe it may be my wheels off balance, so i take off both wheels an sure enough the inner part of both tires is like 50% less tread than the outer part of both wheels "i can tell very easily because the tires are about a month old" its like they fade from new to old, would this mean my tires are off balance an i need balance an alignment or is it something wrong with my stock camber or something..??

Could this also be a wheel bearing issue...?

Modified by JDM_SOHC at 5:44 AM 3/28/2006
Old 03-24-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Wheels off balance..?? (JDM_SOHC)

Get an alignment. Might want to get your tires balanced as well.

Chances are the shaking and excessive inner tire wear is from not having the tow set at or very close to 0. So yea get an alignment but depending how far gone your tires are you might want to get some new ones. Or at least roate them to try and even out the wear.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheels off balance..?? (Slow EJ8)

True, thanks man... I was gettin sick of taking my wheels off an just staring at my brakes an **** an being like "u stupid summabitches" lol... Alright dude well im'a go give it a shot, thanks for input ;-)

Old 03-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tick tick tick is also a sign of a ban axle. Could be one of your inner or outer CV joints. Crawl under the car and see if the boots of your axles are torn. This also causes shaking in the car, more noticible under acceleration. If it is the outer it will shake badly while turning.

Also like previously suggested it might be your balance, though that wouldn't explain the ticking. Look at your wheels and see if you have thrown any wieghts.

Cheers and good luck
Old 03-24-2006, 08:58 AM

also check your suspension bushings - with years and miles on your car + if you have lowered it, bushings tend to tear instead of rotate.

Just dealt with that problem myself - Poly bushings made all the difference in the world with respect to alignment.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would get an alignment and ask to get a printout of what your car was set to before and after the alignment. Among other things on that list you'll see the camber of each wheel.

While the shop won't be able to adjust your camber, you can report back with this information and the wise H-Ters should be able to tell you whether you need a camber kit (if your car is lowered) - or new springs/shocks/bushings (if it's not lowered - though what you'll need to replace depends on how worn out your existing equipment is).
Old 03-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheels off balance..?? (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get an alignment and ask to get a printout of what your car was set to before and after the alignment. Among other things on that list you'll see the camber of each wheel.

While the shop won't be able to adjust your camber, you can report back with this information and the wise H-Ters should be able to tell you whether you need a camber kit (if your car is lowered) - or new springs/shocks/bushings (if it's not lowered - though what you'll need to replace depends on how worn out your existing equipment is).</TD></TR></TABLE>

true thanks man, yeah i get paid wednesday an everywhere i called for alignment prices is like 80-100 bucks so thats gonna have to wait til I get paid an we'll see whats up, but yeah ill get that paperwork an scan it an put it on here an see if u guys can help me out some more, thanks...