Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel Stud Stripped

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Stud Stripped

I'm trying to take off one of the lugs on my front drivers side tire. I think one is stripped, its not going any farther, and I'm using an Air Impact wrench, it won't budge with the wrench, and i tried doing it by hand, and I don't think its going any farther...WTF am I supposed to do. I'm kinda pissed right now, all i was planning on doing was switching my good wheels back on.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Wheel Stud Stripped (BucsJosh)

time to replace a stud. get a breaker and just turn it loose. the stud will break off. next time apply the right amount of torque.

btw: i just broke one of mine last week.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Wheel Stud Stripped (=GAMEOVA=)

I'll be able to go with just 3 lugs for now right? And where would I take it to have a stud replaced, just a wheel/tire/alignment shop?
Old 03-08-2004, 09:46 PM

god damnit, i'm starting to hate my dam car. The ******* extension just broke off inside the lug, i'll get a pic, son of a bitch. I think i'm fucked now, i'm ready to just burn my car to the ground. Any suggestions guys? ****...

update: heres a picture.

Old 03-08-2004, 09:55 PM

Any ideas what the hell I should do. Or am I pretty much fucked with this car. I have to drive this thing by tomarrow morning. I can just put the 3 lugs back on for now, but any ideas how the hell i'm going to get this **** off?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:00 PM

Drill that extension out..or just have someone with a air hammer chizzle that lugnut off...your gonna replace it anyways
Old 03-08-2004, 10:01 PM

drill it out of course.

don't worry, i broke two today. It's not fun, especially after you find out it's your wrench that's been stripping them.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Wheel Stud Stripped (AmginE)

yea, I was just like oh ****, when it happened. Where can I take it to have a new stud put in? And how would I drill this out, like what kind of drill bit would I use? Just drill into the broke piece and i'll be able to pull it out or what? Oh yea, and any idea how much its gonna cost me total for the stud to be replaced?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:23 PM

i took mine to just brakes, they did it in about 30 minutes. Had to charge me an hour labor though.

edit:

As i watched, i saw how easy it's done. well, with the know how and tools (air tools)

you can pound out the stud with a sledge, it'll pop out, and some people grind the head of the new stud a little until it'll slide in between the hub and the spindle, so you don't have to pop out the hub.

First time i did it, we popped the hub and ended up breaking the hub and spindle and bearing (they were all OEM on a 10 year old car) and replaced all of it.. today, popped in and out without problem.

another way my friend told me today, i'll probably try it next time..

pound out the stud, and then cut off anything you can't get out.. then stick the new one in the hole until you can get a nut on it.. and keep tightening until the new one pops into place.. don't know how well that will work, might strip threads or bend the stud.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:32 PM

how much did they charge you? And did they put a new stud in as well? I think I might just take it somewhere instead of risking ruining anything else.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:41 PM

78 dollars. and they ordered and installed the studs and new nuts.

if you buy some yourself it'll probably be cheaper, i was charged 6 dollars each.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:47 PM

Did you just bring it in, and they did everything that day? Or did you have to wait a couple days for them to order the parts and then do it? I really want to get this fixed asap, and i'm just wondering if I should expect them to have to wait a day or two to get the parts.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:53 PM

total time (rolled in on two studs - rolled out with 4) just over an hour.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:18 PM

thanks man, you've been extremely helpful...thank god for Honda-Tech.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BucsJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks man, you've been extremely helpful...thank god for Honda-Tech. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 03-09-2004, 12:00 AM

HHAHHA DAM WHAT THE HELL HAPPEND
Old 03-09-2004, 01:18 AM
New User

Default Re: (Bunz)

how does one strip a stud? is overtightening them the problem? because ive never broke a strip a stud,.although im pretty **** about torqueing down to specs so its always 80 ft lbs
Old 03-09-2004, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (2.0 EK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2.0 EK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how does one strip a stud? is overtightening them the problem? because ive never broke a strip a stud,.although im pretty **** about torqueing down to specs so its always 80 ft lbs </TD></TR></TABLE>
overtightening ususally.. like the use of airtools to tighten the lugnut.

same **** happened to my car, studs are about $5 each at local parts stores around here.
just hope you don't ever have to put one of those things in yourself, that **** sucks
Old 03-09-2004, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jcarothers)

i worked in a tire shop for about a 2 years and saw some fucked up ****, this one is pretty good. a big no-no taking lugs off with air, this is one of those jobse where it should be done with hand tools. when you put lugs on, usualy there are very, very tiny shards of metal int the threads, when you take them off with air, there is so much torque you dont have a chance to catch it. if you do use air, just go very slow, and hand torque them back on, along with using anti-seize. this situation i would just use an air chisel and cut that **** out completly. for one lug we usualy charged around $65 average. im just writing this to let guys know that you shouldnt use air tools for everything.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:17 AM
WalkingKenshin

Default Re: (a1320honda)

to replace a wheel stud, one of mine is broken as wheel. you need to replace the axle bolt. so... how do i go about removing that.. punch out the keeper dent in the nut. i think its 32mm, get a tourch, heat the axle and nut. breaker bar/extension abnd done right ?
Old 03-09-2004, 04:51 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok a few questions...

this happened to me on my right front wheel my stud became stripped so i just beat it off with a hammer and the stud eventually fell out...

well i was told ''now'' i probally stripped the threads for me to put a new stud in there...so I'm going to haft to buy a whole new hub?

Is this true?

Good anyone do a well detailed write-up on how to do this?

TIA -
Old 03-09-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Re: (Usdmdc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Usdmdc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok a few questions...

this happened to me on my right front wheel my stud became stripped so i just beat it off with a hammer and the stud eventually fell out...

well i was told ''now'' i probally stripped the threads for me to put a new stud in there...so I'm going to haft to buy a whole new hub?

Is this true?

Good anyone do a well detailed write-up on how to do this?

TIA - </TD></TR></TABLE>

I seriously doubt you stripped any "threads" as there aren't threads in that hole. And that's exactly how the stripped studs on my car were taken out, with a hammer.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

same thing happend here, i just bought a new passenger side brake, rotor, arm setup. it was 65$ and i put it in. my wheel was also stuck on there
Old 03-09-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Wheel Stud Stripped (MonKey Magic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonKey Magic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">same thing happend here, i just bought a new passenger side brake, rotor, arm setup. it was 65$ and i put it in. my wheel was also stuck on there </TD></TR></TABLE> That's it for all that???? ^^^^ Well i had the same exact thing happen. Used a impact to put lugs back on(live and learn). And next time i try to take it off, i get a snag. Get a breaker on the thing and bang. My whole stud just snaps off with the lug. Only cost me 45 to get a new one in there. And i thought that was highway robbery. It looks so easy to replace. I would like to see a good write up as well. I wonder if the auto-x/RR know anything....
Old 03-10-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Wheel Stud Stripped (GARBhatch.)

Well I got the stud replaced at a local brake/tire shop. It was around $75 bucks total with parts & labor. Not too bad. They had to torch off the lug, so it ruined the wheel, but luckily I had a steelie on at the time, and not my new C8's.

Quick Reply: Wheel Stud Stripped