Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

wheel screws

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel screws

Alright, i'm running mt 22" slicks on Diamond racing wheels and losing pressure due (I think) to my tires spinning on my wheels. I'm not sure if wheel screws are the way to solve the problem or if I should go to tubes? If anyone is using screws right now I could use the insight on how they work and how to install. Thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 12:29 AM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: wheel screws (binxers)

dismount the tire and check to see if you have corrosion on the inside lips of the rim. is this a steel rim ? they are more common on those types or a crap aluminum type.

you need to have it sanded off. or apply a layer of bead sealer to the inside lips.

is it a very slow leak ?

even if your tire spins on the rim it shouldnt allow air to escape if the bead is seated properly. tire spin usually occurs when the tire is first put on the rim and the mechanic uses lubrication to ease the installation of the tire but should not occur 24 hours after the tire is installed and the lube has evaporated.

i would have a look at the corrosion and at the valve stem.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: wheel screws (IVI)

i had them pulled, the wheels look fine, brand new this year too. The tires go from 12 psi to about 5 or 6 in three or four runs, so its a pretty good leak. and its every time I run them. But they don't leak just chillin in the garage.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by binxers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had them pulled, the wheels look fine, brand new this year too. The tires go from 12 psi to about 5 or 6 in three or four runs, so its a pretty good leak. and its every time I run them. But they don't leak just chillin in the garage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I talked to Dustin about this and he said that back in the day when he worked at Sears they used to have slow leaks from the bead on steel wheels all the time. He suggested having some bead sealer slapped in there and then you should be fine.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:07 PM

You can confirm that you tire is slipping by painting a stripe (slipmark) on the tire that goes onto the rim.

Do a couple passes and if the stripe on the tire is not lined up with the rim anymore you know your slipping.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wheel screws (_BEN_)

im a manager at big o tires, im assuming you have a metal valve stem. check the valve stem and make sure it's tight, if you dont have a metal one make sure you get one. take the tire off and with a wire wheel or brush buff the seats on the rim where the tire will bead and have the shop put bead sealer all around the seats. you should be set.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:10 PM
EK22snatch

Default Re: wheel screws (Sh4d)

sorry to threadjack, but i never thought of it till now... do slicks need to be balanced? i mean, id think they wouldnt be cuz theyre sapposed to be solid rubber, but i cant help but wonder taht some have got to be .25oz off or something, which is crutial when hitting speeds of 100+mph. anyone got a quick answer?

oh and for the idea on a beed leak on a steelie is nearly unheard of... steel wheels are awesome for that kind of thing and i have never once seen a beed leak on a steelie (except for this one camry that came in with a bent rim

EDIT: id try to inflate the tires up to 30psi off the car and see if theres a slow leak at all. i dont think with a low psi youll see the leak well at all, but since youre hitting very high speeds at the end of the track the air still leaks out. just my (added) $.02
Old 10-12-2004, 09:47 PM

All-motorsports are you following me? Yeah Italked to Jason (MR. Les schwab) yesterday he said the same thing about the sealant. so i'll probably have him do that for me this winter sometime. Thats a good idea to paint a line to see if the tire is moving much.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by binxers &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All-motorsports are you following me? Yeah Italked to Jason (MR. Les schwab) yesterday he said the same thing about the sealant. so i'll probably have him do that for me this winter sometime. Thats a good idea to paint a line to see if the tire is moving much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. Why do you ask? Have a problem with that tough guy? So, get that sealant in there and find out what the deal is. I'm tired of hearing you complain about your air pressure dropping drastically all the time.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:02 PM

Default Re: wheel screws (All-MotorSports)

yes, slicks need to be balanced

first thing i would do is make a pass with the chalk on the tire to see if in fact they are slipping before you do anything else so you can figure out the problem

on my turbo 4 civic we screw the slicks and run tubes - the psi in the slicks is anywhere between 6.5-8.5 psi depending on the conditions and haven't had any issues at all