Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel Hub Removal HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hub Removal HELP please

Hey peeps

I am in need of some help, i tried every tool i know existed and with no luck

I am in the process of getting my car ready for winter, i barely drove it like 4-5 times all summer, and i know it needed brake pads/rotors, driver side bearing, spark plugs, spark plugs, and new shocks.

I managed to change everything and I had a freaking rough time getting the hub off and old bearing out, it was a bitch to remove, then i took the new hub and had it pressed at my neighbour's press and it went in fine with no problems, until i realize we forgot to put the C clip on the bearing before pressing everything together.

so now i been trying to remove the hub and it is pressed REALLY good, and no way in hell it moves even a millimeter. so if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated, i rented the hub puller from CT and nothing.

here is a picture.

so my question is how do i get the wheel hub off?

p.s. my summer vehicle, it is getting REALLY cold riding in to work in the morning freaking 2 degrees with the windchill going 120km/h it is like -10, so please help
Old 10-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude, your not gonna do it with a slide hammer. you need to either beat the **** out out of it from the other side to blow it out then get the race off the shaft. or have it pressed in and out. dont do this yourself man. take it to a shop and have a pro with a press do it. it shouldnt cost more than 40 bux for him to do it. removing the vearing on your own with that type of design usually ends up badly, but thats just from my experience
Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (raiden571)

Yes you can do it with a slide hammer, thats why they make them, duh.

Put it back on the car and pull it off that way, it will be much easier. The inner race will stick to the hub, that is fine.

You can use a larger socket to tap the other race back on evenly, since it is guaranteed to walk off once you put the hub back in.

I've done this at least 10 times in my driveway with a freezer, a torch, and a railroad tie to knock the old inner race off the hub. Simply tap the hub out with the same socket if you do not have a hub puller.