Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel camber question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel camber question

My back rear tire toes in at the top a little... I think I need a camber kit to fix that? I really don't know exactly though, any ideas would be great.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Wheel camber question (HCivicSi23)

if you have lowered your car any your camber and toe could be misaligned. stock setups dont have any camber adjustment and you toe is slighly adjustable. If you cant adjust it enough they make toe kits for civics for cheap. Just check out ebay.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Wheel camber question (Rust_si)

I just put on a new suspension kit... and this is where I noticed the toe in. I was told it was mis allinged and I needed a new camber kit, but I'm not completly sure.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rust_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you have lowered your car any your camber and toe could be misaligned. stock setups dont have any camber adjustment and you toe is slighly adjustable. If you cant adjust it enough they make toe kits for civics for cheap. Just check out ebay.</TD></TR></TABLE>
He's right, I have the Ingalls kit on my car and it fixed my problem. You may be able to just shim it as well though if it's not too bad. Pics?
Old 06-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for rear camber, dont spend your money on a camber kit..

heres a quick and easy way to fix it

http://home.earthlink.net/~civ....html
Old 06-23-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (RARE_EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RARE_EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for rear camber, dont spend your money on a camber kit..

http://home.earthlink.net/~civ....html</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a good idea. Ill try that tommorow.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HCivicSi23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats a good idea. Ill try that tommorow. </TD></TR></TABLE>

good to hear
Old 06-24-2007, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RARE_EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for rear camber, dont spend your money on a camber kit..

http://home.earthlink.net/~civ....html</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, thanks for the tip, bro!! I can't wait to try this, b/c I have pretty bad camber in the back!
Old 06-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (EM-One)

LOL, the washer trick is the best.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

I got the bolt fix in and it worked perfectly! I had to use a good amount of washers, but it its nice and even now. Thanks
Old 06-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got the bolt fix in and it worked perfectly! I had to use a good amount of washers, but it its nice and even now. Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

How many washers did yu have to use on each bolt?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I got the bolt fix in and it worked perfectly! I had to use a good amount of washers, but it its nice and even now. Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

nice
Old 06-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Check out my P0141 thread. Any ideas?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My back rear tire toes in at the top a little... I think I need a camber kit to fix that? I really don't know exactly though, any ideas would be great. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well...toe in is different from camber. Camber is the tilt of the tires from top to bottom. Toe is the angle the wheels sit at side to side.

For example: When turning right, your right wheel is toed OUT, and your left is toed IN.

You dont need a camber kit. Camber doesnt really have much of an affect on tire wear.

Get your toe fixed. This can be done easily without buying parts. Go to an alignment shop, and ask them to fix the toe. If you lowered the car, they will need to toe the front IN and the back OUT to get it to zero.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Wheel camber question (B serious)

You can still adjust toe with the rear camber. And your correct, but the problem really was the camber with the wheel angleing at the top.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:39 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can still adjust toe with the rear camber. And your correct, but the problem really was the camber with the wheel angleing at the top. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That doesnt really make sense man. It's either toe or camber. I get what you're saying. Just an FYI. It's kinda like saying I can still eat an apple with my orange.

I know that when you lower a car, you get negative camber. What im trying to say is that when you lower a car you also get toe in (rear) and toe out (front). Toe causes all or most of the "camber wear" that everyone worries about.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That doesnt really make sense man. It's either toe or camber. I get what you're saying. Just an FYI. It's kinda like saying I can still eat an apple with my orange. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hahaha... no. There are two bolts for the rear camber. You can adjust the toe by putting more washers on one side than the other. I know it works because I did it.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:20 PM

i bought a spc tow adjuster and the shop told me things needed to be fab'd to fit....which is b.s...so go with the ingalls just in case u do get it...just for your info.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HCivicSi23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hahaha... no. There are two bolts for the rear camber. You can adjust the toe by putting more washers on one side than the other. I know it works because I did it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

gotcha.....but you know there's a toe link right? It's on the trailing arm towards the front of the car. Follow the trailing arm towards the front of the car till the trailing arm ends. That's the toe link. Did you take it to an alignment shop or just align by eye? Because anything more than 1/8'' of toe in/out will ruin your tires. Plus, why lower your car if you're not going to tune it with an alignment. Would you put cams in your motor and drive without tuning?

If you leave the camber slightly negative (2-3 degrees) and set the toe to factory...or tune the toe depending on your driving style, you can have a pretty nice set up.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Ek Forever y0!

The ingalls kit is just a fancy set of bolts and washers.

Correcting camber DOESNT correct toe, it's one or the other.

Modified by ek forever guy at 5:54 AM 6/27/2007
Old 06-26-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Wheel camber question (ek forever guy)

Clearly I must have been seeng things then.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

gotcha.....but you know there's a toe link right? It's on the trailing arm towards the front of the car. Follow the trailing arm towards the front of the car till the trailing arm ends. That's the toe link. Did you take it to an alignment shop or just align by eye? Because anything more than 1/8'' of toe in/out will ruin your tires. Plus, why lower your car if you're not going to tune it with an alignment. Would you put cams in your motor and drive without tuning?

If you leave the camber slightly negative (2-3 degrees) and set the toe to factory...or tune the toe depending on your driving style, you can have a pretty nice set up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I used a level to measure the camber. I will eventually take it to get alligned within the next week.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Wheel camber question (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ingalls kit is just a fancy set of bolts and washers.

Correcting camber DOESNT correct toe, it's one or the other.

Modified by ek forever guy at 5:54 AM 6/27/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it does. It puts it closer to what it should be. The geometry will still be wrong so the toe will be off even after correcting camber. But toe does get corrected to a certain extent when you fix your camber.

On a non-lowered car, correcting camber can correct toe if the toe was never wacked out in the first place.