Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What's your take on F1 brand clutches?????

Old 01-30-2011, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your take on F1 brand clutches?????

ive been lookin for a clutch for my new sol tht i just bought and was wonderin if NE one has ran the F1 brand clutches??? they go for a pretty cheap price and wanted know if they are pretty good or not worth it... ive heard that 240's usually use em when the driver is into driftin just not sure how they are with hondas... thanks for any info
Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: What's your take on F1 brand clutches?????

Please create a thread title that summarizes your technical problem/question so that members may quickly understand the topic without reading your post. This helps you to get more and better responses by letting our members know what technical information that you need -- Title edited.

Last edited by Former User; 10-26-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about F1 brand clutches but more honda users swear by exedy, and with good reason.

My current clutch is an exedy oem replacement, i got a clutch/flywheel kit for about $200 if I recall correctly. It's been a great clutch and drives like new after 60,000 Miles.

Exedy is also one of the brand names of the parent company who makes oem honda clutches.

Can't go wrong with any exedy clutch.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

IF you are on a budget, get Exedy. If you have the money, get ACT.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ both answers above are correct. Opinions on the F1 are very mixed...I honestly don't think I've ever heard somebody say anything about purchasing an Exedy/Daikin OEM replacement and having problems. Research break-in too if you're doing a replacement. Exedy/Daikin are the way to go. If you do have a little extra cash, and have extensive plans for a build then get the ACT. Definitely something to research...alot of people hear guys at the track saying they have stage X or X puck clutch...then see them making good numbers, go out and buy it, and realize it's the most unstreetable thing they've ever encountered. Application and budget. Good luck.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the 'stage 2 f1 racing clutch' in my built b18 eg recently, it lasted all of about 6 weeks, no racing or launching, the odd bit of 'spirited driving'.

what happened to mine was this, the springs in the disc are dual springs (similar to dual valve springs, one inside the other) when i took it out, one of the small inner springs had broken, the pieces tore other parts up a bit and the rest of the springs became loose causing a bad judder with the pedal pressed!

i kept the pressure plate and used an OEM disc, but that is starting to fail on me now, im sick of changing clutches!

im thinking of changing my flywheel this time too or maybe just the friction surface (fidanza) incase its causing problems!!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had one in my stock d16. it worked nice and held up. i think they are good for daily driving. i would never trust one with something that is tracked or is high hp
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a xtr clutch, is my 2nd and i havent had a problem.. ive heard bad things about f1 tho. i also have a friend who used a xtd clutch, and i drove it, the clutch is a stage 2 and its really smooth, i would use those before an f1.. thats just my oppinion
Old 02-02-2011, 12:50 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its all the same..........ebay crap. as with anything else in life, you get what you pay for. sure, there are stories of them handling boost and extreme abuse, but there are many more horror stories of complete failure.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have one. got it cheap a few years back. still holding up fine, but it is starting to make some chatter noise. stick with exedy.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend had one in his 300ZX and it was ok. I had an XTD for a few weeks and that was fine. And I think my friend has an XTD or F1 in his Accord. It depends on what kind of power your making though. I have competition clutch & ACT atm, but I make 300+WHP
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
its all the same..........ebay crap. as with anything else in life, you get what you pay for. sure, there are stories of them handling boost and extreme abuse, but there are many more horror stories of complete failure.
x2
Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys i appreciate all your help and info on this and luckily i didnt end up goin with that type of clutch i actually got hooked and met Bisi of Bisimoto and i was introduced to his main supplier of clutches at Action Clutches and lemme just say i have been drivin all kinds of manual trans cars and this clutch is way different and very impressive... i love it, and dont regret anything... if you guys want the hook up i got with clutches just lemme know... 951 807 0230 my name is frank... thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Good to see things worked out for you with a little bit of patience. I think shortly after you posted this somebody posted something similar but it was more of a "hey I just bought this clutch and flywheel what do you guys think" thread...and there is no helping you if you bought a cheap part with no research and then the whole h-t community tells you it's crap you're just screwed.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Formula 1 cars use it, so it must be good. Slap it one and rev to +14RPM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TwoFaced
^ Good to see things worked out for you with a little bit of patience. I think shortly after you posted this somebody posted something similar but it was more of a "hey I just bought this clutch and flywheel what do you guys think" thread...and there is no helping you if you bought a cheap part with no research and then the whole h-t community tells you it's crap you're just screwed.
thanks man and yes patience does pay off!!!! u wanna see some pics?
here they are
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...5286&aid=29230
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...5286&aid=29454
Old 10-26-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by delsizzle1
ive been lookin for a clutch for my new sol tht i just bought and was wonderin if NE one has ran the F1 brand clutches??? they go for a pretty cheap price and wanted know if they are pretty good or not worth it... ive heard that 240's usually use em when the driver is into driftin just not sure how they are with hondas... thanks for any info

"ive been lookin for a clutch for my new sol tht i just bought and was wonderin if NE one has ran the F1 brand clutches??? they go for a pretty cheap price and wanted know if they are pretty good or not worth it... ive heard that 240's usually use em when the driver is into driftin just not sure how they are with hondas... thanks for any info"

I been using F1 stage 2 clutch for about a year now on my 95 civic d16z6 and put approx 10 to 12k on it. It has a nice grip than stock for sure kinda jerky not as comfortable stock "expected for aftermarket"

Now here's the thing are you boosted or N/a?
If you're just pushing 160 - 170hp it will hold up, but more than that the thing will slip like a ****. I just found that out today after pushing 14psi on my z6, although it was holding up upto 12psi with my tiny mazdaspeed turbo i just havent dyno it yet. It hit 13.8 @102 on 14" steelies 1/4 mile so im guessing 190 - 170 to the wheels?

Personally I will consider getting F1 clutch again you cant beat the price, but i will get 6 puck next at the least for my set-up.

It will work no doubt just get 6 puck is my opinion. Goodluck!