Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whats wrong with the 7th gen civic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats wrong with the 7th gen civic?

I know lots and lots just hate the new civic, but why? I think it looks really good with the OEM kit but there's no power potential for the new compact engine. I have a new civic, my first car and I grew to love it. I want and need some positive opinions about this car and what I could do to make more power out of the stock D17A2 engine. Oh yeah, I visited 2k1civic.com and its really informative but I need more info from pros like yall.
Old 10-27-2001, 09:41 PM
New User

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (2001civic)

it's just not a good engine to gain more power on. look for an engine swapation.
Old 10-27-2001, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (Civic Hatch Boy)

you can't do an engine swap on it, the rsx motor won't go in correctly the intake manifold is in front (between radiator and engine) where as the civic's intake manifold is in back (between firewall and engine)
Old 10-28-2001, 07:04 AM

IMO most people don't like things that are drastically different on cars, whether it be a Subaru Impreza or a Honda Civic - that's why it seems that most Honda guys hate this car. Give it some time for people to get used to and there will be a higher demand for it. When the demand is there the technology to mod the car will also come. I wouldn't be surprised if a turbo kit is designed for that car next year sometime. That's really the only place I would look for any power, especially if it is impossible to swap with a better engine.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (maxim_force)

theres this punk kid @ UConn that added a muffler to his new civic and is always giving me the ice grill,like hes hard,revin at me and aLL. i cant wait to encounter him at the stop light,hes got no clue i have a hybrid that runs 14's.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:13 AM

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (lucas569)

they all need to be taught a lesson sometime
Old 10-28-2001, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (maxim_force)

http://community-2.webtv.net/Lucas569/DONTSWEATTHE/

the PAIN IS COMING soon.
Old 10-29-2001, 05:51 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you like your new civic? i have one too and pretty much hate it. had it for almost 3 months and already looking for a new car. it does handle good though.
Old 10-29-2001, 08:37 AM
New User

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (Aceman64)

Handles pretty well? That's surprising.... Have you driven an older civic? (5th or 6th gen). On paper, they went with a lower performance suspension than the older civics.

Old 10-29-2001, 11:01 AM
YodaIsGod

all show and no go.

They went to a strut setup in the front. still multi-link in the rear. BMW, VW, AUDI, M-B have a smiliar strut setup in the front.
Can't really say they went to a lower setup. A strut set up is just a bit less than a front multi-link. Also, because they shorten the hood, they couldn't fit Honda's front multi-link.
You can see how BMW has come a long way in tuning a front strut setup.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:14 AM
New User

There's no after market support right now. Give it a couple of years and I'm sure it will be a little more accepted. As of right now though, it doesn't get much love amongst the 5th and 6th generation proponents. You might as well get a focus because there is more stuff out for a ZX3 right now than a 7th gen Cvic. Not that they're bad cars or anything.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (DeceitfulCivic)

I like the new civic but only the hatchback model. If they bring over the new ctr, I would buy one.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (superflea)

You *should* still be able to swap a B Series engine in the new Civic's right..I mean they still have a D Series engine in there...are the engine mounts still in the same places?
Old 10-29-2001, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (HX_Guy)

but it rotates the correct way now so putting in an older style blcck I am sure would require quite a bit of modification. Not only that but they have different geometry for the suspension up front, since now it used mcpherson struts.
Old 10-29-2001, 11:46 AM
New User

No, no swap of B series. For a long time Honda engines have turned the "wrong" way. On most engines, the crankshaft rotated one direction (don't remember whether clockwise or counter) and Hondas rotated the other way.

But now Honda has switched too.

Old 10-29-2001, 11:47 AM
YodaIsGod

D17A is a totally different motor. It's not from the same block as a D16.
Old 10-29-2001, 12:28 PM

Ya I own one of these things too. I have heard some off the wall roomers that you can replace the pistons of a honda crv and you lower your compression ration to 8:1, but I don't know if this is true. If you have a lower compression, I'm sure that you could up the boost on it, if they were to ever make a turbo for it. I love my car. I think that it has potential if there was a way to get some dohc in there, then we might have a new generation of racers, but right now, we have to just sit and wait, unless you want to custom pipe your own turbo. Let the struggles begin!!! take it easy...
Old 10-29-2001, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (YodaIsGod)

Ah ok I didnt realize that they changed the D17 to spin the "correct" way.

In that case..an RSX motor should fit right in...no?
Old 10-29-2001, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (civicman01')

I used to own a '97 DX HB. I know own a '01 Coupe EX, among other cars. The g7 DOES handle better than my g6, stock to stock. My g7 handles the same as my g6 which I had upgraded to wider wheels & better tires. Believe it or not, the EX coupe rotates real nicely (for those who auto-x, they know what I mean) and turn-in is much better than my g6.
I called Eibach to inquire about their pro-kit and also asked them about the stock spring rates on my '01 EX. They told me that the stock rates are 106F/297R!!
Almost 300lb/in. in the rear! So I wrote back and told them they must be mistaken, how come I 'm not oversteering like crazy with these kind of spring rates.. The guy got really upset and he confirmed it again, then his supervisor wrote to me and said because the suspension geometry is very different from previous gens.. blah blah, and the shocks are softer, different bushings, etc. etc. doesn't cause the car to oversteer BUT these are the correct rates! Now the prokit they offer is: 183F/406R!! I wrote another e-mail a few weeks later playing stupid and saying someone at Eibach sent me some spring rates but they look like the RSX's.. nope, they come back and said those are the new Civic's.. Anyway I guess now I 'm convinced the Civic has 300lb rear spring rates, front are pretty soft at 106 but nothing a good set of Koni Yellows or Tokikos can't fix. Right now they 're in development. I called Koni & e-mailed Tokiko and they 're both racing to come out with the in the 1st Qtr of '02. Sway bars will also be out soon (stock is 12mm which I think is pretty close to what '99-00 Si has, stock Tegs are only 13-14mm), so I expect g7s Civics to be pretty decent handlers with just shocks and a bigger sway bar 19-22mm. Next time you 're near a g7 Civic, take a look at its control arms. They 're about twice the size of any g5 or g6 Civic. It also has bigger LCA bushings.
As far as power goes, I don't know what kind of power you guys are talking about but I assume bolt-on power.. DCSports is advertising on their web site that they got 12whp out of an EX with their new header & exhaust! That's 12hp at the wheels and if that's true that 's more than what a GSR gains with the best of headers & exhausts! Believe me, there 's power in the EX's motor. It's there and the aftermarket manufacturers will find it. Even if 12whp is a lie, figure 10whp might be true.. That's not bad at all and I believe there's a lot more torque to be harvested.
I understand why everyone is so critical of it and so was I at first, but you have to be objective and think with a clear mind, and don't be fooled by other g5 or g6 owners that just don't like it simply because they want to feel their gen. is better. Have you ever seen a Civic that was worse than the generation before in the past? Nope, and this is no exception. BTW, I raced against my friend who drives a stock '95 EX coupe 5-sp. Guess who won? Not by much but I was gaining on him and pulling away nice & slow until he gave up around 95mph at which point he was a few car lengths behind. Did I tell you I 've had it up to 123mph? It really surprised me, I thought it would 've died around 120 but the thing kept going and it had more to go but I had to slow down because of traffic up ahead. I have 8k mi. on it btw. Don't knock something you know very little about or from hearsay..
This car has so much more torque than my '97 DX it made me real happy when I first picked it up. It doesn't feel anemic at all and moves well from low RPMs & speeds. My DX was pathetic at low RPMs. This EX pulls nicely. Now, I own a GSR (look at sig.) that puts down 152whp so I don't want anyone thinking that I don't know what "pulling" means because I 've taken it straight up to 140mph from 0.. Just try & be a little objective and don't knock something unless you 've tried it.. For me it's an excellent commuter car with some pep and decent handling for its class. I can't wait to put some good rubber on it but that 'll have to wait till next Spring.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:43 PM
New User

Ah ok I didnt realize that they changed the D17 to spin the "correct" way.

In that case..an RSX motor should fit right in...no?
Read the third post (by xlr8si)

Old 10-30-2001, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (spyder)

Hmm..taht doesnt mean it wouldnt work. It might need a little work but it might work.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<--- wonders why spend the extra cash for the 7th gen when you could get a earlier model and spend the cash you would of spent on the newer model on mods...
Old 10-31-2001, 06:35 AM

Default Re: whats wrong with the 7th gen civic? (TheFLY)

I don't know about you previous generation civic owners, but the reason I got the 2001 was because it was different. I used to live in Cali, and all I ever saw was honda civics, preludes, and etc. So when I heard that honda came out with a new model I had to check it out. I personally thought it looked bad ***, so I went over figures and it seemed at the time like a great deal, **** I got an EX for 14,500... I went out looking for used civics and even the 99's were up in the 10's... So I dared to be different, now all I have to do is wait for it to catch... This car has potential especially with new models from acura like the RSX, I mean if I can fit 200hp stock in a light *** civic, and then attach a turbo to that, with some other more specific mods, I could be running 10's one day, well until that happens I guess I'll just have to wait....