Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong?

I was overheating small kine(and temp gauge was fluctuating with rpm range) and the overflow tank was filling up and boiling out so i figured thermostat. top hose was hot and bottom was luke warm if not cold. i completely took out thermostat and straight wire the fan to eliminate that problem. i removed the a/c also(compressor and all hoses for it) now my heater doesnt work at all, meaning nothing blows out.

When I was bleeding my system, i think i left the fan switch on 4 and had the heater on will i was bleeding it with the cap off. Could that be the problem? Because when bleeding, you just turn the control to max heat and leave the fan off right? Anyways, since then then coolant was disappearing so i looked for leaks and found out that my lower radiator hose was not clamped down to the block.

Fix it and thought i was ok. Drove to work the next day which is about 30 miles and withn a mile of reaching work, it started overheating again, well fluctuating. i turn the heater on and it worked and let me get to work. the next morning when going home, it did it again, within a mile of me making it home, but this time the heater didnt work at all. nothing, nada, zip!!!

When i got home, i popped the hood and there was no steam leaking out but the resevoir was full! both hose were hot, top hose super hot, but squeezable and bottom hose was a little less hot, but hot none the less. Went to sleep for a couple of hours and came back out, and the resevoir was completely empty..I was like WTF! So i added more coolant to max mark and topped of radiator with about 3 shots of coolant until it was full. Started it up with cap off and let the air bubbles escape. i notice that no matter who many times i squeeze the hose(upper and lower) bubbles still came up.

before the mini me, my car never overheated.

I am not gettting any smoke from tailpipe either so i know its not headgasket. there is no thermostat and plus the one i pulled out is in working condition. what else could it be? water pump? which was good before the swap. Even so, would that cause the heat to blow out?

I tried jumper the blower with a wire on both terminals to see if it would come on and nothing so i know its good. Any help would be appreciated.

SOORRY FOR BEING SO LONG, JUST TRYING TO PUT AS MUCH INFO AS POSSIBLE:

D15b7 block/z6 head 94 civic dx
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What's wrong?

I know its long and most dont like reading, i know i dont, but someone please read the entire post and see if you can get any light out of this confusion.....
Old 12-15-2009, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a car come in with a similar problem as yours. It was completely random over heating. Drove the car nothing. Left it and saw a small tiny puddle coming from the water pump. Changed the water pump, put a new thermo and problem went away. Keep the thermo in so the car can heat up quickly to help you with your searching. But try a water pump before a headgasket if you dont see milk, smoke, or black gunk. If you see those things then go headgasket route.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2^^
Old 12-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok..so i should put my thermo back in so it will heat up faster an then do a flush? my fan went out, wiring i think so i direct switched it. so now i dont know exactly when my fan is supposed to come on. ok, im going to put the thermo back in and flush the system and try it again. the headgasket has maybe 100 miles on it and the oil looks consistent and not milky. could it be the cap?