Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whats what?!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats what?!!

Hey everyone. I make no claims about knowing anything to do with engines, so this will probably sound like kids talk, but here goes!
I drive a 99 honda civic vti (which i think translates to 'si' in the states, im in the uk) with the 160bhp b16a engine

1. When i look around online shops i see manifolds for sale; whats the difference between the stock one, and a 4-1, or a 4-2-1, or 2-1???? And what benefits do you get?
2. What sort of differences to everyday driving do cat back exhausts, and full exhaust sytems make? and whats the differences between the 2? Also, what would u guys recommend exhaust wise? Im looking for something that'll sound awesome while accellerating hard, but just 'burble' quitely the rest of the time. Are there any kits you can buy that allow you to adjust a valve in the exhaust to keep volumes down sometimes (like aston do with the vanquish)??
3. I think i get the jist of how cam shafts work (but please feel free to tell me!) but how does buying after market ones change anytihng? Whats different?
4. Finally, what suspension changes do you recomend i make? I think the ride at the moment is as hard as id want to go, unless it became more controlled as well, but there's to much lean when i chuck it into corners. I also have to be able to clear speed bumps, so i couldnt lower it much more than an inch or 2.

Hope you can share any expertise you have!

cheers
Old 02-23-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: whats what?!! (Punter)

4-1 header is better for top end power, 4-2-1 is better for low to midrange rpm power. aftermarket cams have bigger lobe's allowing the valves to be open further and for a longer duration allowing more air and fuel into the engine. it gets more complicated but essetially thats the point. my exhaust setup in my sig below sounds great at WOT and stock at idle, thats just one setup thats close to your description. for suspension, a sway bar and/or some strut bars will tighten it up around corners, especially a rear sway bar. h&r sport springs or neuspeed sport springs give a nice drop, about 1.75 inches. as for shocks depends on how much money you want to spend. i have kyb's, their adjustable so you can experiment with them, koni yellows are also very good. better than kyb but more $$$$. if i missed anything, freakin search kid. i'm in a good mood so this is all you get
Old 02-23-2006, 05:50 PM
AKA MoDeL FaWken JERKz

Default Re: whats what?!! (Civicse)

^^^