Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Whats the difference? CX and Si?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the difference? CX and Si?

Hi im completely new to this website and barely getting into cars. Found this site on google and joined. I don't know much about cars but im planning on buying a Hatch Eg. but not sure whats the difference with the Si or CX? Can anyone help me out? thanks. sorry i don't know anything
Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the difference? CX and Si?

Well the Si is the top model we got here in North America for the EG. The CX is the base. The Si has things like the D16Z6 or SOHC VTEC 1.6 litre engine making 125hp and the CX has a non-vtec base 1.5 litre motor making 70hp. The Si comes with Power steering and a sunroof and 4 disc brakes. There is a bunch of other things that I dont remember.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm.. so when buying a car. how can i tell if its a cx or si besides looking at the back of the car? lol i really don't know anything about cars.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check for the sunroof, like a real electric sunroof that slides back. Sometimes people get shitty pop-up sunroofs installed. Check to see if it has 4 disc brakes, this one is easy cause the CX has drums in the back and they look nothing alike.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh ok. i see... now i gotta look up whats a 4 disc brake lol and match differences
Old 05-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Yeah go for the si. disk brakes are worth it by them selves.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weight, color matched exterior accents, power locks?, side moldings...
Old 05-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by krazy562
hmm.. so when buying a car. how can i tell if its a cx or si besides looking at the back of the car? lol i really don't know anything about cars.
the best way to check is by looking at the vin #... if it says eh3 than it is and si
Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm. i just found out theres also a DX. whats the difference with these 3? hmm... I know how to spot a Si but how about the other 2?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by krazy562
check the vin xhgEH2/3 eh3 is an si
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u can spot an si.. then u should be able to spot the non si.. lol.. cx and dx are basically the same.. just little minor differences.. im not sure what though.. maybe one has a/c.. or power steering.. cx is the lowest model..
Old 05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh i see.. Cause si seems to be a bit expensive. lol like 2.5 or 3... so its si , dx then cx.. maybe ill get a dx..? And Si are a bit rare too.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry.. i think the vx is the lowest model.. id go for an si.. more options and better motor to work with as far as building.. nice to have
Old 05-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

theres a VX? how many models are there of an EG? well but as i know.. Si are the best?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

vx/cx,dx,si... no ex, only a coupe that gen.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only Civic I would consider buying is an EX or Si. (because they come with the most options and the biggest brakes)
Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cx is slow as ***** d15b7 or b8 motor eg si has a d16z6 sohc vtec motor, Si is heavy almost 500 pounds heavier than the cx which is the lightest model at 2050 pounds if im correct so dropping in a d16z6 in a cx is like putting fake ***** in a small girl! si has sunroof 4 disc brakes also si has pinstripe interior isnt their an hx civic btw?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by hOnda_hiEn
sorry.. i think the vx is the lowest model.. id go for an si.. more options and better motor to work with as far as building.. nice to have
VX has Vtec-e and is a 16 valve d15z1. CX is a 8 valve d15b8.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think to tell the difference between cx and dx from a bone stock condition is the side moldings, CX doesnt come with the moldings... si's also have all black interior, dash board carpet, door panels also have pockets at the bottom... clean title si's are somewhat rare to comeby nowadays
Old 05-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fhukingviet
i think to tell the difference between cx and dx from a bone stock condition is the side moldings, CX doesnt come with the moldings... si's also have all black interior, dash board carpet, door panels also have pockets at the bottom... clean title si's are somewhat rare to comeby nowadays
how about the vx? now that i know the difference between the cx and dx. how about a vx?
Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

All of the US '92-'00 Civic trims are:

Coupes:
DX, EX

Hatches:
CX, DX, Si, VX

Sedans:
DX, EX, LX

First, locations of points of interest.

Pop the hood and look at the engine. You should see a header (aka exhaust manifold) coming out of the front of the engine, toward you. This looks like four pipes leading out of the engine toward you, which then dips under the car and joins up. Some might have a metal sheet called a heat shield covering some of it.

If you look to the passenger side of the header there will be a little flat surface on the engine. This surface angles upward and will have two lines of letters and numbers on it. The upper (larger font) characters are you engine code.

I'll get more into engine codes in a bit.

The second big point of interest is the VIN or "Vehicle Identification Number". This number is unique to your vehicle and can be used to find out all sorts of information about your car (who owned it, if it's ever been totaled).

The VIN is on many parts of the car, including the driver's door or driver's door jamb. Open the driver's door and look on the part where the door meets up with the latch (should be to your right if you're outside, opening the door). The outer section of the car where the door meets with the car is the door jamb. Sometimes the VIN is also on the door itself.

Other information is also in this location. You might find your interior color code (code that names your stock interior color), your exterior color code (code that names the stock paint on the car) and tire information.

The most reliable location of your [b]VIN[b] is on the firewall though. The firewall is the metal wall between the engine bay and the occupant compartment of the vehicle. It's behind the engine. At the top of the firewall, right under the windshield, you should see a long number stamped into the metal. It will probably start with a "1", "2" or "J". This is your VIN.

Another good location is on the driver's side of the dash, visible through the windshield. This is on the dash, so if the car's dash has been swapped (rare) then the VIN here might be missing or different. In many states this is VERY BAD and you will want to solve that problem ASAP (better yet, don't buy said vehicle).

Now, the EX and Si both have 1.6L SOHC (single overhead valve) VTEC engines. The engine code on these engines is D16Z6.

The VX has a 1.5L SOHC VTEC-E engine called the D15Z1. This is the economy model and is a hatchback only.

The DX (coupe/hatch/sedan) and LX (sedan) use the 1.5L SOCH non-VTEC engine called the D15B7.

And the CX uses the 8-valve (instead of 16-valve) 1.5L SOHC non-VTEC called the D15B8.

All of those engine codes are stamped on the engine block of the vehicle. Some cars might have swaps. A common Japanese engine swapped into these cars is the ZC or the D15B (no letter behind it).

The VIN is the next thing that many people in this thread have mentioned.

Now write your VIN down and bring it back so you have it for reference.

The fourth, fifth and sixth digits are called the chassis code. These codes match up to what engine (and sometimes body style) your car is. The engines are only found in certain trims, as I just explained.

To abbreviate much of that:

CX (hatch) (lightest, no frills, base model)
Chassis Code: EH2
Engine Code: D15B8

DX coupe (base model)
Chassis Code: EJ2
Engine Code: D15B7

DX hatch (base model)

DX sedan (base model)
Chassis Code: EG8

EX coupe (fully loaded model)
Chassis Code: EJ1
Engine Code: D16Z6

EX sedan (fully loaded model)
Chassis Code: EG9

Si hatch (fully loaded model)
Chassis Code: EH3

VX hatch (economy model)
Engine Code: D15Z1

You'll notice some cars with different engines use the same chassis code. This is because for this generation (and some others) the chassis code refers to X vehicle with an engine that is so many liters.

So, for example, an EH2 refers to a hatch with a 1.5L engine.

I hope this all helps out. I know it's sort of a lot at once!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 AM

everyone always says the si is fully loaded but in all honesty its not you get a moonroof and power mirrors no power locks or windows USDM hatchbacks never came with power windows or locks from the factory i have owned one and known of 5 different ones and none of them had power windows/locks
Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you post 5g weights too nofx?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nofx you rock!!!!! lol good info for the OP
Old 05-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGhatchguy
everyone always says the si is fully loaded but in all honesty its not you get a moonroof and power mirrors no power locks or windows USDM hatchbacks never came with power windows or locks from the factory i have owned one and known of 5 different ones and none of them had power windows/locks
So your saying.. All Eg's HAVE power window besides the Si? But the Si have a sunroof which is a power sunroof but the others don't have a sunroof? but have power windows?

Quick Reply: Whats the difference? CX and Si?