Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What's the BEST suspension set up for 96 EK??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the BEST suspension set up for 96 EK??

Hi there everyone,

I'm NEW here... So please bare with me, IF I don't know all the technical stuff.

Just wanted to know what is the BEST (bang for the buck) set up for the EK. I know, it varies on how different applications... But if NOT too much trouble, give the quick run down on each different set up.

So far, I got Tein HA coilovers & ASR subframe with CTR 22mm rear swaybar.

Building from there...

Thanks in Advance...

Old 08-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What's the BEST suspension set up for 96 EK?? (xKiD26x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xKiD26x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi there everyone,

I'm NEW here... So please bare with me, IF I don't know all the technical stuff.

Just wanted to know what is the BEST (bang for the buck) set up for the EK. I know, it varies on how different applications... But if NOT too much trouble, give the quick run down on each different set up.

So far, I got Tein HA coilovers & ASR subframe with CTR 22mm rear swaybar.

Building from there...

Thanks in Advance...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well...the best bang for the buck would be to keep your current suspension setup and tune the alignment settings.

What are you doing with the car?

Impossible to answer the question unless we know what you're planning on doing with it? road race? drag race? daily driver? daily driver with mixed in racing? help us help you lol.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: What's the BEST suspension set up for 96 EK?? (B serious)

Daily driver, but prepared for anything on the streets. Just wanna out handle most cars... Since NO power under the hood yet.

Thanks again
Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You've got $1000 coilovers, a $200 subframe brace, and a $100 swaybar, and you want a "bang for the buck" upgrade?

Rollcage.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: What's the BEST suspension set up for 96 EK?? (ek forever guy)

Well, I didn't spend that much for all that... got hooked up... paid less than $1000, so far. The coilovers were slightly used for over $700, brace & sway for $200 new.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:41 PM
Ek Forever y0!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xKiD26x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I didn't spend that much for all that... got hooked up... paid less than $1000, so far. The coilovers were slightly used for over $700, brace & sway for $200 new. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Rollcage.

And anything else to stiffen up our econobox 3 peice "chassis"
Old 08-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Tru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rollcage isnt necessarily the best idea for a street car though.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: What's the BEST suspension set up for 96 EK?? (ek forever guy)

Was recommended to go upgrade OEM Front Lower Control Arms from EX model to add Front CTR/SI swaybar (26mm). Is that correct? Cause I'm told, NOT much difference from the other aftermarket Front LCAs.

Also, is the 26mm sways, the best? is there something better? or should I say stiffer?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (Tru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rollcage isnt necessarily the best idea for a street car though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said rollcages on a street car were safe. Just that it would handle better.

OP: Yes, if you don't have a front swaybar you're really lacking. Get a 26 or bigger.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (Tru)

Yea, NOT for a daily driver. Also, going for the SLEEPER look. Last thing I want is a cop to harass me, or my car to get jacked.

The rollcage is just asking for both. In most cases, ALL SHOW, NO GO cars... haha..
Old 08-20-2007, 03:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol, cops harassing you because of suspension? You said you have nothing under the hood, shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xKiD26x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Was recommended to go upgrade OEM Front Lower Control Arms from EX model to add Front CTR/SI swaybar (26mm). Is that correct? Cause I'm told, NOT much difference from the other aftermarket Front LCAs.

Also, is the 26mm sways, the best? is there something better? or should I say stiffer? </TD></TR></TABLE>

SI swaybar is REALLY freaking agressive. Prepare for understeer.

Especially on a hatchback. It's not as bad on coupes...but still HOLY CRAP thats a huge bar. overkill, IMO.

Again, tune your alignment settings and get tires. Tires are the best bang for your buck even if you have a stock suspension.

Since this is a daily driver, I would recommend somewhat mild camber and toe angles.

It's really hard to internet engineer someone else's car dude. There's a lot of variables. Except for the sticky tires deal. Those work universally.

around -2 degrees negative front camber and -2.5 degrees rear should do the trick depending on a LOT of other things.

Front toe should be left alone...or you could go around 1/8'' out for quicker turn in. This will give up some high speed stability, though. Same with the rear. 1/8'' toe in for some good controllable oversteer without excess tire wear. Again, giving up high speed stability. But with a stock motor, high speed shouldnt be a big concern.

Tires: Get the stickiest of the icky for summer driving. Keep your crappy stock ones for winter driving (if it snows around your parts). I've always liked handling characteristics of 15'' wheels. 15X7 + 40/45, i believe is a good offset and size. Falken azenis is a well proven tire for an awesome price. These are the tires i would have gotten if they made them in good S2000 sizes.

Hankook's RS2Z212 is also very nice. Although, you have to run really high PSI. I have these on my S2000's track setup, and I run about 52 PSI (nitrogen) hot. So around 45 PSI (nitrogen) cold. Good wear considering the grip. Though they did get greasy. Would work great for lighter, lowerer powered, slower cornering speed cars like civics or integras.

Also, a lower geared transmission will make everything feel "faster". It will also help you get out of trouble incase you overbrake (if you ever want to really drive...and track up).

Old 08-20-2007, 04:02 PM

Oh yeah, you also need SI control arms and shock forks for the SI swaybar. The EX LCAs wont work.

Also, sorry to say, but i dont really get the point of trying to outhandle most cars ON THE STREET. Last I checked, street racing doesn't consist of going around corners except for in the fast and furious.

Sure, its fun to take onramps fast, but you're not competing. You're just having fun. So tune on the mild side if this is your daily. You dont wanna be irritated with all the bad things that happen when you have a FWD car that handles better than most other cars on the street. Tune for ride quality and comfort and get some good handling out of it as well. That's what makes a truly FUN street car. Not a car that bounces, throws you around, and spills your date's latte in her lap.

Also, do the right thing and track up, dude. You'll never regret it.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xKiD26x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Daily driver, but prepared for anything on the streets. Just wanna out handle most cars... Since NO power under the hood yet.

Thanks again</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prepared for anything on the streets? I would recommend you stop this thought process . What really happens on the street that the stock suspension cannot handle. If you really want performance, I will suggest karting.

That will provide you will all the performance you need and then some.

Karting 101

PM if you really want to get into karting, I'll be more than happy to guide you along the way.

m-

Old 08-21-2007, 11:54 PM

Default Re: (Lasty K)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lasty K &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lol, cops harassing you because of suspension? You said you have nothing under the hood, shouldn't have anything to worry about.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

NOT cause of suspension, but a rollcage is just asking for it on a daily driver...

Thanks for the advice B serious...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario_D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Prepared for anything on the streets? I would recommend you stop this thought process . What really happens on the street that the stock suspension cannot handle. If you really want performance, I will suggest karting.

That will provide you will all the performance you need and then some.

Karting 101

PM if you really want to get into karting, I'll be more than happy to guide you along the way.

m-

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now, what's karting got to do with a daily driver? You can't drive a kart on the streets here.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xKiD26x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xKiD26x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now, what's karting got to do with a daily driver? You can't drive a kart on the streets here. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Karting as an alternative to:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xKiD26x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Daily driver, but prepared for anything on the streets. Just wanna out handle most cars... Since NO power under the hood yet.

Thanks again</TD></TR></TABLE>

You race the kart at the track so you don't do foolish things on the street in your daily driver. If I have to break it down like this you are in more need of help that I anticipated.

Just wanna out handle most cars.... Please remember you still have a Honda.

m-
Old 08-22-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Re: (Mario_D)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario_D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just wanna out handle most cars.... Please remember you still have a Honda.

m-</TD></TR></TABLE>

cmon now. As far as handling and driving experience in the same class of cars, it's hard to beat a honda.

I embarass plenty of very resectable cars in my S2000 at the track. It's basically stock. This includes Corvettes, EVO MRs, Audi S4s, 350Zs, etc, etc.. Then, to top it off, I fill up after this bi-lingual bloodbath, and discover that i got 23mpg combined highway, town, and track. just the icing on the cake.

Think about putting an ITR or even a GSR up against an SRT4, Nissan Sentra SER, Ford Focus, etc. I'm talking stock to stock or modded to modded.

Maybe you should be on "gokart-tech.com"
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I embarass plenty of very resectable cars in my S2000 at the track. It's basically stock. This includes Corvettes, EVO MRs, Audi S4s, 350Zs, etc, etc.. Then, to top it off, I fill up after this bi-lingual bloodbath, and discover that i got 23mpg combined highway, town, and track. just the icing on the cake.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Obviously you have missed the point. You stated in track your post. OP did not. He wants to handle his "business" on the streets.

As for the kart statement, I am on karting sites now.

I am curious as to what you mean by embarrass respectable cars. And what is "basically stock"?

If you ever get a chance, pilot a shifter kart. Your sense of performance and handling will forever be changed.

m-
Old 08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And to give you an interesting yet accurate description of what I am talking about in terms of experiencing karting performance, here is a quote from a fellow karter:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
First things I noticed, NOISE. And vibration, lots of it. Makes sense considering there's a dirtbike engine in my right armpit running a few thousand rpm with no real muffling. Putter up to the line, forget the clutch, stall it. ****. Get another push, this time I manage to clutch in early enough. Give it a bootfull of throttle, slip the clutch (its a wet clutch, who cares) and I'm off.

Jesus titty-****ing Christ this thing is fast. I'm in third gear before I pass the timing lights and pulling hard down the opening slalom, warp speed style. At quarter, maybe half, throttle. Cones look like large bushes and for the first time I wonder how much it might hurt to hit one, however the course is easier to see than it is in my car since I'm eye level with the cones. Get to the pair of lefts and turn in. Whoops, too slow bogging the engine so I drop down a gear and VROOM back to warp speed. Up again, dorifto through the hard right and bump into 4th through the back slalom, brake way too early and putter through the last part of the course to a mid 37 second run. Take four runs and leave the kart running in the pits area, find out my best was a 35.4. I'm out of breath, sweating profusely, and giddy. Don [the owner of the kart I drove] takes a few more runs, gets into the 31's, meanwhile I try to put things together in my head while wearing the biggest E36 M3-eating grin I've ever worn.

I take another batch of runs, this time I give it a bit more throttle and try to trust the tires more. Still too much warp drive and general sensory overload. On my final run I nail a cone and get it stuck under the front tire. Mental note: a)karts can't turn with a cone under the tire and b) understeer in a kart is ****ing scary. Post a 33.2 on my coned run and start putting together things in my head finally. In the meantime Brian Garfield took his kart out and ran a 28.4. Don gets the kart back, runs a 29.7.

On my third sets of runs I finally try to up the pace. Took to more slower laps and get on it for real and try to get on pace. Did I mention this thing is fast? No, like really ****ing fast. Well I finally gave it its just due and as much throttle as I could. Up to fourth in the opening slalom, third around the center part, up to 5th on the back slalom and get air in direction changes. Crazy dorifto around the last pair of lefts (took it as one corner), bump down two gears to go back up the hill to the finish line. 31.6. Next run, 30.3. Next run, spin, nail a few more cones, and back to the pits. I took another set of runs afterwards, but I was too tired to improve and the rear tires were overheated.

Impressions: this thing is righteous. It has more grip and is more responsive than anything I've ever driven .... Its is very demanding to drive. Thank God I wore the rib protector, I'd be a LOT more sore now if I didnt because its does try to beat you up until things start to flow, then it and you become one (while it still beats you up).

</TD></TR></TABLE>

m-
Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM

Obviously you have missed the point. You stated in track your post. OP did not. He wants to handle his "business" on the streets.

As for the kart statement, I am on karting sites now.

I am curious as to what you mean by embarrass respectable cars. And what is "basically stock"?

If you ever get a chance, pilot a shifter kart. Your sense of performance and handling will forever be changed.

m-</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, i know the OP stated street. I told him to take his handling business to the track. However, I still firmly believe you can still have a fun daily driver. My S2000 is not my daily driver, but it definitely could be if i lived in a non-snowy state...and only ever needed to carry a basketball and 1 passenger.

Basically stock means: Skunk2 springs, AEM V2 intake, and 225/50/16 and 245/45/16 Hankook RS2Z212 (street tire) on stock wheels for the track. (ADVAN RG2 with Dunlop 9000 for street). EBC yellow track pads for the track. Stock 00-03 S2000 ceramics for the street.

Embarass means: Beat the crap out of.

**I also embarrassed corvettes and S4s and EVOs on crappier than stock tires. When the rest of the car was 100% stock. I had only owned it for 7 days. I wanted to see how it would do bone stock at road america. I had the mods sitting in my basement at the time.

I'm sure RM1 or similar karts are awesome to drive. But you could have a car as a dual duty machine. This isnt a karting website. I know you were trying to get the guy to get into karting....but that would be like someone asking "how can i get my car to go faster" (vague, but you get the point). And someone answering "buy a crotch rocket...they're WAY FASTER THAN CARS!!"

Read the OP's question:

he asked how to get his daily driver to handle better. A kart is not a daily driver. A kart is a weekend race machine used ONLY on the track. If you dont know the answer to the question, just move on.

You could have suggested some minor daily driver improvements...and then suggested karting as the ultimate thrill as a side note.

You never answered or tried to answer the guy's question. You just flexed karting skillzzzzz.

If you asked "how could i make my kart turn harder", and I answered "PSHHH!! civics are WAY better daily drivers. Get a civic instead. I have a HUGE *****!!"

First, you'd be pretty bummed that my ***** was so huge. Then you'd think and be like ..."hey wait...that douchebag never answered my question...he just told me to get a civic and a ***** enlarger....WTF was that all about?!"

Besides, I drove a go-kart when i was 10.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

I will not suggest how to improve on said vehicle for "street" sheningans. Thus I suggested something else in its stead.

Thank you for pointing out the fact that Honda-tech is not a karting website. With all the crap on these forums you should also point out the obvious.

This isn't mad-tiiiite-y0!.com.

This isn't what-is-faster.com.

Etc...etc...etc...

So you still missed the whole point. Stop street stupidity. There was a post on this very forum on how to remove the speed governor to hit 100mph. There was no disclaimer stating that this activity would not be done on the street.

I did answer his question with a suggestion into karting.

And the go-kart you drove when you were 10 is nothing like what I am referring to. If OP had mentioned some sort of dual purpose track/auto-x/daily driver comment then this whole thread would have taken a different turn.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you asked "how could i make my kart turn harder", and I answered "PSHHH!! civics are WAY better daily drivers. Get a civic instead. I have a HUGE *****!!"

First, you'd be pretty bummed that my ***** was so huge. Then you'd think and be like ..."hey wait...that douchebag never answered my question...he just told me to get a civic and a ***** enlarger....WTF was that all about?!"
</TD></TR></TABLE>

[sarcasm]You have amazing grammar skills. Simple amazing. [/sarcasm]

m-
Old 08-22-2007, 04:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario_D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I will not suggest how to improve on said vehicle for "street" sheningans. Thus I suggested something else in its stead.

Thank you for pointing out the fact that Honda-tech is not a karting website. With all the crap on these forums you should also point out the obvious.

This isn't mad-tiiiite-y0!.com.

This isn't what-is-faster.com.

Etc...etc...etc...

So you still missed the whole point. Stop street stupidity. There was a post on this very forum on how to remove the speed governor to hit 100mph. There was no disclaimer stating that this activity would not be done on the street.

I did answer his question with a suggestion into karting.

And the go-kart you drove when you were 10 is nothing like what I am referring to. If OP had mentioned some sort of dual purpose track/auto-x/daily driver comment then this whole thread would have taken a different turn.

[sarcasm]You have amazing grammar skills. Simple amazing. [/sarcasm]

m-</TD></TR></TABLE>

how did i miss the point of stopping street stupidity?

Did I not tell the guy to track up? Here, let me answer that question:

do the right thing and track up, dude. You'll never regret it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure you know what sarcasm is. When i said that I drove a go kart when i was 10, I was being facetious (uh oh...look it up). You were just so immersed in go-karting as being the worlds greatest hobby, that you took it seriously. Dont have a hernia.

Besides that, Who the freak has a 100mph speed limiter in the first place?!!

Also, please point out what's wrong with my grammar skillzzzzzzzz, biotch!!

Old 08-22-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh yeah, you also need SI control arms and shock forks for the SI swaybar. The EX LCAs wont work.

Also, sorry to say, but i dont really get the point of trying to outhandle most cars ON THE STREET. Last I checked, street racing doesn't consist of going around corners except for in the fast and furious.

Sure, its fun to take onramps fast, but you're not competing. You're just having fun. So tune on the mild side if this is your daily. You dont wanna be irritated with all the bad things that happen when you have a FWD car that handles better than most other cars on the street. Tune for ride quality and comfort and get some good handling out of it as well. That's what makes a truly FUN street car. Not a car that bounces, throws you around, and spills your date's latte in her lap.

Also, do the right thing and track up, dude. You'll never regret it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

For some reason Firefox didn't show me the updated posts. You actually said it best in this post.

As for grammar skills, capitalization owns you. But in the end, you were telling OP to take it off the streets.

FF &gt; me.

m-

P.S. Pilot a shifter kart, you'll never look at your S2000 the same again.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Re: What's the BEST suspension set up for 96 EK?? (Mario_D)

For some reason Firefox didn't show me the updated posts. You actually said it best in this post.

As for grammar skills, capitalization owns you. But in the end, you were telling OP to take it off the streets.

FF &gt; me.

m-

P.S. Pilot a shifter kart, you'll never look at your S2000 the same again.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was capitalizing to emphasise the word. It wasn't correct grammar, but it was obviously on purpose. I went to a british school when i lived in Dubai. lol they beat grammar into me.

If you were talking about me not capitalizing "I", well, that's just because I don't care lol. It's just a forum. I'm not wearing a suit when im sitting here.

Yeah..im sure a shifter kart would be a TON of fun. But have you ever driven an S2000? .
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was capitalizing to emphasise the word. It wasn't correct grammar, but it was obviously on purpose. I went to a british school when i lived in Dubai. lol they beat grammar into me.

Yeah..im sure a shifter kart would be a TON of fun. But have you ever driven an S2000? . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes. I have driven an S2000. That is why I can compare the two.

m-

Quick Reply: What's the BEST suspension set up for 96 EK??