Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What's the best B-series transmission with a turbo as a daily?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best B-series transmission with a turbo as a daily?

Pulled quote from this thread:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...1447757/page7/

Originally Posted by hondaguyef
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Gear ratios are merely a way to trade torque for rpm. With a higher numerical gear ratio, you are putting more rpm at the wheel. With closer gear ratios, you are able to stay at a higher rpm in between shift points. Something like the LS transmissions are suited more towards the broad torque curve/low reving LS engine. It keeps you in the peak torque area in between shifts. The ITR/SI/GSR transmissions keep the rpm's built up in between shifts, to stay in the more peaky powerband.

Having said that, for the track the itr/si tranny is the best hands down. Most high whp turbo engines are operating between 5.5-9k, and having their shift points in between. In combination with a tall slick size (24.5"+), and the high shift point (8.5-9k), you are able to keep the engine operating within the optimum torque curve.

With the LS transmission, between shifts it would possibly drop you out of the optimal powerband and therefore make you slower. Gearing simply put allows you to stay in the powerband of your engine in between shifts.

The myth that you stay in gear longer with the LS transmission makes you faster is purely false. Think about that statement for a second. Acceleration is the measure of velocity over a unit time. Watching the rpms climb on the tach during a 3rd/4th gear pull, they would be climbing slower than with the si/itr tranny. Looking at the definition of acceleration as a measure of velocity over a unit time, the engine would be getting to the same velocity over a slower time lapse. This would yield slower acceleration, and simply put make you slower.

Having said that, the gsr transmission is probably the best balance of a street/strip transmission. The gearing is a little less aggressive as the itr/si transmissions, which will yield a little more traction. For all out acceleration si/itr tranny wins hands down. For a slower car, go with the LS transmission.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Best Explination

However, I did run into trouble when my power level got to high w/ a stock LS head. I was using a GSR trans and the stock head had to be rev'd to 7500 in order to not have to shift into 5th in the 1/4 so, if using a stock LS head the LS trans may be a better choice.

Phil
Not to argue, no really I'm not, but I'm running a
Engine: LS-Vtec (b18b1 bottom end with a B16a Head)
- Bottom End with a Gt35r turbo at 10# (and I'm looking around at other possibilities for transmissions because I got a pop out on 5th gear and this is transmission #2. First one shredded 3 gear) but it seems like I'm flipping through gears in no time with the Ls trans.. I certainly don't want to go with a shorter transmission I'd go nuts on a daily drive , so if I don't want to go with a shorter transmission am I stuck ?

Last edited by TomCat39; 06-15-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: What's the best B-series transmission with a turbo as a daily?

maybe you need to look into why the gears are being shredded and fix that?