Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak??

Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak??

well i got ahold of a b20 and everypost i see when i search about it says how weak the block is and stuff some ppl even recommend a ls better than a b20?? why?? also i cant find any info about upgrades other than b20vtec?? i would like to put some cams and stuff but i cant find anything about it... so can anyone lmk whats the deal??
Old 08-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak?? (happyabortion)

http://www.tamparacing.com/for...20+ls

To quote Jake D:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, the motors are IDENTICAL minus the fact that the b20 is 84mm vs the ls being 81mm. The head castings are the same, rods are the same, cranks are the same, oil pumps, EVERYTHING. The I/M are different but that is easily fixed by putting a LS on on the b20.

some people say b20 sleeves are weak, blah blah blah. Well i have put 125shot of nitrous to a b20 , daily driven motor and have NEVER had problems. Ive owned 3 b20's and never had a problem.

I have ownd both and IMO b20 &gt; LS anyday
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak?? (sxecrow)

exactly what i figured!!haha atleast im not the only one that believes in the b20 lol
ive had a couple of b16s and like 3 Ls motors and one gsr and now this is my new setup on my newest car and after seeing several posts specially about the sleeves being weak or what ever it was making me rethink my decission...

anyone else opinions?
Old 08-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

friend of mine runs 7lb of boost daily on his b20vtec, and the motor runs really strong.

As long as you keep the boost down kinda low, shouldnt have any problems. Just dont run 20lbs of boost without building the motor.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak?? (jadugartir)

well my whole purpose of this motor is of course dependability as a daily driver.

and plans for it is either some cams and stay non vtec or just turn it into a b20vtec.regardless it will retain a/c and p/s and i just want to make sure it will go anywhere without me having to worry about anything.really i will more than likely do a b20vtec but i just want to make sure it will work fine...

thats why i was asking if anyone could tell me where a site with some upgrade would be at...as of right now its a b20b with stage 5 clutch and gsr tranny. the motor was originally an automatic motor and now converted standard..all in a 98 civic hatch
Old 08-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My friends cracked his sleeves but he had a t3 t4 turbo on it running 9 pounds. My other friend has a straight motor b20 in a hatch and barks 4 gear.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Re: (prelude252)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude252 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My friends cracked his sleeves but he had a t3 t4 turbo on it running 9 pounds. My other friend has a straight motor b20 in a hatch and barks 4 gear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no he doesnt. that my friend is a LIE. lol barks 4th gear.....yeah right
Old 08-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ci_v_ic)

i barked 4th gear the first night i drove my car on accident with my stage 5 clutch the first time i drove it
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ci_v_ic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no he doesnt. that my friend is a LIE. lol barks 4th gear.....yeah right</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed

At OP:
I just don't like the B20, but it is the same as the LS so what's the difference? Dunno, I just don't like the B20.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

just dont like it??no specific reason??just dont like it?you like the LS and b20 is really just a bigger 2.0L Ls but you dont like it??
Old 08-22-2006, 07:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by happyabortion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well my whole purpose of this motor is of course dependability as a daily driver.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow..daily driven w/ that clutch? You my friend either live in the boonies..or you're the ******* man!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (happyabortion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by happyabortion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just dont like it??no specific reason??just dont like it?you like the LS and b20 is really just a bigger 2.0L Ls but you dont like it?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I don't know why :-\. Maybe because there's less info out there about it. I'm not sure...I mean it's nice b/c of it's torque...I'm not sure..

I was thinking a nice build in a civic would be a B20block/B16 head/99/00si trans, and a JRSC with like 8-10lb pulley.

Nice as a dependable, powerful, daily driver.

Of course I'd need to get forged rods/pistons, but it sounded nice when I thought about it.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ci_v_ic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no he doesnt. that my friend is a LIE. lol barks 4th gear.....yeah right</TD></TR></TABLE>

With a strong clutch you can bark 4th in a 3 cyl geo metro. It has nothing to do with how much power output there is.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Runnerdown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Runnerdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

With a strong clutch you can bark 4th in a 3 cyl geo metro. It has nothing to do with how much power output there is. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Vid = thx

with my camaro I couldn't break the tires loose just by flooring it in 4th...chirrped but that's about it, but if I dropped the clutch in while shifting into 4th (regardless of the speed) and hammered it the tires would break loose and spin like a mother ****** - and that was with a stock clutch, so don't say it doesn't have anything to do with the power output.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak?? (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow..daily driven w/ that clutch? You my friend either live in the boonies..or you're the ******* man!</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha no boonies and ive never thought about it that way lol but yea daily driven lol when i first got it running it seemed way too harsh for me but its just about getting used to it. it rocks
Old 08-23-2006, 06:24 PM

h22 &gt; b20, in every aspect.
now that the h2b plate is out, there is nothing that the b20 has over the h22. the swaps (b20 vtec and stock h22) end up at about the same price when its all said and done.

ive always hated the b20 because unless you do some real work to it, you cant push it or it least i never would out of fear of it breaking (which it will eventually unless you fix those damn sleeves).
Old 08-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak?? (knockout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by knockout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">h22 &gt; b20, in every aspect.
now that the h2b plate is out, there is nothing that the b20 has over the h22. the swaps (b20 vtec and stock h22) end up at about the same price when its all said and done.

ive always hated the b20 because unless you do some real work to it, you cant push it or it least i never would out of fear of it breaking (which it will eventually unless you fix those damn sleeves).</TD></TR></TABLE>

YOU have had bad luck with sleeves on the b20??

h22 motors are expensive in my book,plus i already have the b20...plus how much is a h2b plate??6-700 bux plus buying a h22 motor would just be gay it completely changes my plan!lol i know the h22 is a good strong motor but with the setup i have now it would make no sense for me to look into a h22 with the h2b plate. plus as of right now im running a Ls tranny and having a h22 with a LS tranny would be the gay too i do have a spare gsr tranny which i was going to throw in sooner or later but it still doesnt seem cost worthy enough for me to go through all that trouble..
Old 08-23-2006, 06:47 PM

no i personally will never own a b20 or an LS for that matter. i have my reasons for not owning them.
1. when you modify the motor (add a vtec head, piece a swap together) 99% of the time you will get headaches.
2. the longer the stroke of an engine and the smaller the sleeves, the less reliable and strong it is. its a fact.
3. i said the prices were similar using a stock h22 and a b20 vtec, i didnt add in the h2b plate or anything like that.

i know all you b20 guys are just going to jump at the chance saying "omg you never owned a b20 newb, you dont know!" but if you use that as an arguement youre just completely retarded. there is enough evidence all over this website, not to mention many others, that the b20 is much weaker than any other stock honda motor.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah you got it all wrong....i just got my b20 swap. i have had alot of other swaps and i have always wanted to do a b20vtec. now i got this swap as a great deal so i now have it in my hatch. i personally feel the motor is pretty strong. and i believe it has alot of potential. now from searching the board i see alot of ppl talking about how bad it is and i just dont understand why. everyone loves their LS swap and to me a b20 is just a 2L version of it but everyone bad mouths it. and the reason why i asked if YOU have had any problems with it is because if you feel so strong about it being weak i just figured you had some personal experience with it.

regardless thanx for the input i just want to hear some opinions here!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:57 PM

i mean, if you got a good deal on it theres nothing wrong with that. i just feel that for the money an h22 will be much better. good luck with your swap and i hope it doesnt blow. just dont push it too hard
Old 08-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Like some of the previous members stated the B20 block is actually an LS block just bored out from a 1.8l to a 2.0l it's week because the cylinder was are so thin that sleeving is required so that the engine can make alot more power without a problem but stock you can still run 8psi on a good tune or up to 200hp on an n/a application with out revving that past 7500rpm or 7800rpm pushing it...for a daily drive it would be perfect nice torque at really low rpms and with a b16 or a gsr tranny it will drive really nice...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by happyabortion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i would like to put some cams and stuff but i cant find anything about it... so can anyone lmk whats the deal?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you can run aftermarket LS cams..
Old 08-23-2006, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak?? (jdm_sir2)

well i had bought this civic coupe with the motor in it and also had black gsr leather and coil overs and stuff for 1000bux. i took out the swap,the seats,and the rims,and coil overs and threw on a single cam and sold the civic for 1500bux so yea awesome deal.

the motor seems strong. definatelystronger than my old LS motor...so i dunno im trying to see where everyone gets there reasoning.

as for the cams anyone recommend any??
Old 08-23-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak?? (jdm_sir2)

if its built right a crvtec will be reliable and fun to drive. i bored mine to 85mm and was running 12:5 ISH compresion with bc4 cams and it never took a **** on me.. great to drive.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by happyabortion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i had bought this civic coupe with the motor in it and also had black gsr leather and coil overs and stuff for 1000bux. i took out the swap,the seats,and the rims,and coil overs and threw on a single cam and sold the civic for 1500bux so yea awesome deal.

the motor seems strong. definatelystronger than my old LS motor...so i dunno im trying to see where everyone gets there reasoning.

as for the cams anyone recommend any?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The crower cams are really nice on those LS and B20 get a stage 2 cam it will give you a nice hp gain..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whats all this i hear about b20 motors weak??