Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Whats a 3 angle valve job do as far as performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats a 3 angle valve job do as far as performance?

What exactly is a 3 angle valve job? I was looking into building up the head of my motor now that the bottom end is built, but honestly im not quite sure exactly what the valve job is or does. Does it require any other modifications like titanium springs or retainers or can you just get the valve job and stay with the stock ones. What exactly does the valve job do too? Is it worth getting one for a built SOHC z6 block? I will get a cam and turbo it down the road but not yet. Will this create a problem later on, or any other cons to it? Thanks for the info,
Matt
Old 04-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Whats a 3 angle valve job do as far as performance? (hatchback19)

ok a 3 angle is the minimum you will get.
in the bowl below the actual seat it is 60 degrees. steep.
the seat itself is either 44 or 45 degreea. depending on what the valve face is.
the last cut is closest to the top of the seat it is 33 degrees. in kinda lest the seat gradually bend around. a 5 angle is good too as it makes a more gentle curve not letting as many turbulence.
the idea of the 33 and 60 degree angles, raises and lowers the valve in the seat moving the installed height either up or down.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Whats a 3 angle valve job do as far as performance? (hatchback19)

You see the valve seats????

these and the valve edges are cut with 3 different angles(don't know the degrees in my head) for better air flow and sealing. It allows the air to travel more "freely" around the valve. Since you can't have a perfect round valve seat and valve, you need to cut angles in them. Lots of people do 5 angle valve jobs, which is more intricate and expensive. All it means is the amount of different angles cut to allow for better flow, that's all.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:44 PM

Is this something worth getting for a built turbo sohc? Some things don't benifiet F.I. motors, just like some don't benifiet N/A much. I just wondered if this was one of those things or if its a good investment in increased horsepower for both N/A and FI.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (hatchback19)

a three angle valve job is not a necessity unless you are having problems or getting the motor rebuilt. there is no 1 or 2 angle job. 3 is the bare minimum you will get. depends on how far you want to go with the car. do a compression test, it is within specs dont worry about. tune it well. if they are lower then normal, use a cylinder leakage test to see where they are leaking. fyi, if you get into the head dont be surprised if it snow *****. i built mine knowing where i was goin. once the head was off, i needed springs and guides as well and all this is more labor. the 5 angle job is the one you do for racing applications. a 3 angle is normal.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Whats a 3 angle valve job do as far as performance? (Emerika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Emerika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I miss it...Send it to it's daddy.