Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics?

Ok, given that these are your only two options, what would you guys choose? Koni shocks with a good spring combo or Tein Basic coilovers?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (Honda Bob)

MMMmmm Tein Basics. I know I did. Love the Tein quality and the adjustable ride height.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:37 AM

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (Honda Bob)

Konis with springs.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (Matt B)

I got the Koni's with springs (aka H&R cup kit)
Old 11-14-2003, 10:39 AM

in the same boat. koni yellows and h&r springs, or tein basics? or would the cost for better be justified?
Old 11-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koni's with H&R Race if you're going to race your car.

Basics if you're just a cruiser.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:47 AM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (SkyeC)

Koni Yellows + Ground-Control threaded coil-over sleeves + Eibach ERS custom springs.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:34 AM

I got Red koni's with Vogtland springs.
I am not going to sayi that Tein is bad.
But I went for a suspension-upgrade.
Mounting coilovers without mounting different shock isn't improving your suspension, it's just lowering your car. You could even make you suspension worse by dropping +1" on stock shocks. especially without adjusting for camber.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:09 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: (zanthrax)

I know you're from some other country and all but don't post up about what you have no clue about.

TEIN Basics are Tein non-adjustable shocks, threaded sleeves, and springs. Entry-level system good for cruising but not-so-great for racing.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:17 PM

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Koni Yellows + Ground-Control threaded coil-over sleeves + Eibach ERS custom springs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll second this suggestion.
Koni Yellows (Neuspeed spec) + Ground-Control threaded coil-over sleeves + Eibach ERS custom springs

The Teins are nice but I would rather have the adjustable Konis. But if your set on having Teins I would just save up for SS versions.
Old 11-15-2003, 11:35 AM

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (BROOD)

So how many of you guys with the adjustable shocks actually adjust them and actually auto-X your car?
Old 11-15-2003, 11:54 AM

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (King Tut33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how many of you guys with the adjustable shocks actually adjust them and actually auto-X your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I do.

And recommend adjustables. No matter who makes them.
Different situations need different settings.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should just go with koni yellows and ground controls with custom spring rates. that's all you will need great quality and rebuildable
Old 11-15-2003, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spraa)

Tein SS's

talk to vtecvoodoo
Old 11-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (King Tut33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how many of you guys with the adjustable shocks actually adjust them and actually auto-X your car?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean how many people with expensive green coilovers do more than photoshoots?
Old 11-15-2003, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (SkyeC)

i do more then photoshoots with my expensive green coilovers
Old 11-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get tein. Way too BLING, for a fraction of the price, you could get a setup that outperforms the tein's. Koni yellows with custom gc springs with their extended top hats would be a great setup. Check it out!
Old 11-15-2003, 03:27 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you mean how many people with expensive green coilovers do more than photoshoots? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, the question was should he get Koni Yellow's with shock adjustability and no ride height adjustability or Tein Basics with no shock adjustability, just ride height adjustability. I don't plan on ever seriously racing mine, so I went with the Tein Basics for a decent ride and high quality. I just wanted to know how many Koni Yellow guys actually adjust their shocks.
Old 11-15-2003, 05:06 PM
VX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Koni Yellow's with shock adjustability and no ride height adjustability.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Koni Yellows + Coil-over Sleeves (Ground-Control) = Ride Height Adjustable.

On the shock body are grooves which a clip can be transfered onto any of them where the threaded coil-over sleeve sits.

This is the main height adjustment feature.

The second way is to adjust the spring perch up or down the threaded sleeves.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:46 PM
Boba Connoisseur

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No, the question was should he get Koni Yellow's with shock adjustability and no ride height adjustability or Tein Basics with no shock adjustability, just ride height adjustability. I don't plan on ever seriously racing mine, so I went with the Tein Basics for a decent ride and high quality. I just wanted to know how many Koni Yellow guys actually adjust their shocks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So Koni's are low quality? lol.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:50 PM

get the teins, and you can brag about them being jdm (hehe).

side note(my personal opinion): since tein is such a big name here now in the states, and that many shops now carry them i feel like they lost some of their jdm sence of pride, you can say.

you can save up for some zeal shocks, or mugen full suspension coil-overs, those both would be yummy.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:08 AM

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (VX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Koni Yellows + Coil-over Sleeves (Ground-Control) = Ride Height Adjustable.

On the shock body are grooves which a clip can be transfered onto any of them where the threaded coil-over sleeve sits.

This is the main height adjustment feature.

The second way is to adjust the spring perch up or down the threaded sleeves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You didn't read his post, "Koni shocks with a good spring combo ". He didn't mention coilovers.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:09 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So Koni's are low quality? lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No Koni's are great, that is why everyone uses them. I just wanted a perfectly matched setup so I wouldn't have to worry about adjusting them, which is why I went with everything in one package, the Tein Basics.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:13 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Koni's with H&R Race if you're going to race your car.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i got
Old 11-16-2003, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics? (Navid OG)

koni's with the Grod control sleve for them,

tein basic's are just good for nice ride, thats it i rode in a car with them and it road great handeled shitty.

with koni/GC you get to pick any spring rate you want and any ride height you want from 0-5 inchs and it will be around 600 so saves you a few bucks too

Quick Reply: What would you guys choose? Koni's with springs or Tein Basics?