Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What would YOU choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would YOU choose?

Wanted to make this a poll, but I guess as a trial user I don't have that ability yet

Ok, here's what I've got to choose from:

- 98 Prelude Base for $6000 (good condition, 127k, stock)

- 95 del Sol Si $3000 (good condition, 117k, stock)

Now, I'm wanting, first and foremost, a GREAT DD. I do plan to modify either one in the areas of engine, suspension and cosmetics (tasteful, I assure you). If I was to purchase the Prelude I would keep the stock engine and go completely N/A with bolt on mods. If I was to get the Sol I'd plan to eventually perform an H2D or similar swap and keep it N/A as well. I'm having the most difficult time choosing between these two options.

I like the Sol for the fact it has a targa top and roadster styling, though I've had one before, but gave up on it as it was a '94 and had crap seals around the roof and needed significant conditioning. Now, the '95's have the better seals and this one will not require any major conditioning. Also, due to it being nearly 600lbs lighter than the prelude, I'm ASSuming the H22 would feel much more lively in the Sol. Research has yielded the del Sol chassis as having a lot of flex and not the best for road courses, but this could be all chalked up to opinion as well since some say good sway bars and a few other mods and the thing would be rock solid. Still, as a DD, I would want something solid in the curves.

The Prelude is just sexy; no doubt about it. The lines are aggressive yet sophisticated. I've test driven one recently with a three passenger load on the highway and it handled flawlessly and felt powerful as opposed to the STOCK Sol Si. Of course I wouldn't have to worry with a swap as it would already come with a bad *** engine. My only real concerns with the prelude are that the gains from going N/A won't be as obvious as an H22 swap into the Sol. Also, the heavier chassis and modest gas mileage. As a DD the, 22/26 EPA ratings are not exactly persuading (I currently drive a Pilot rated at 17/22).

I'm sure I'll end up elaborating further as this discussion gets underway and everyone chimes in with their expertise, opinions and such. Basically I want a great DD that's be a kick in the pants to drive in way of handling, acceleration and still get decent mileage in these times of ever fluctuating gas prices. Again, apologies for no poll
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would YOU choose? (J.D.M)

I would go with the Prelude and use that as a DD. I would aslo put only CARB certified parts on my Prelude to keep the smog hassle down to a minimum. If you are looking to get a modded H22 Del sol w/ H2B possibly you wont be able to BAR it from what I hear.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 AM

del sol + K-series
Old 07-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would YOU choose? (Sheeley's crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sheeley’s crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">del sol + K-series</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because K-series swaps are so cheap and can easily be Bar'd in California
Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would YOU choose? (95ProjectEJ1)

Prelude FTW
Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would go with the Prelude and use that as a DD. I would aslo put only CARB certified parts on my Prelude to keep the smog hassle down to a minimum. If you are looking to get a modded H22 Del sol w/ H2B possibly you wont be able to BAR it from what I hear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Great response! Due to living in CA we must take into consideration CARB/BAR I've heard rumors to that same tune. Anyone out there with a successful/failed inspection post-H2B/D in CA, chime in!
Old 07-09-2007, 10:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because K-series swaps are so cheap and can easily be Bar'd in California </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I'll say now I'm not looking to a K swap at all as it's cost prohibitive
Old 07-09-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was in the same situation about 6 months ago.. i ended up getting a prelude... only downside is i have to do the t belt/auto tensioner which i hear is hell. i also have a civic comparing the mpg the civic is much better but it doesnt have ac... not to mention in Cali. if u get pulled over in a civic your sitting on the curb as they check everything. in my prelude they tell me to slow down lol

quick edit.. com'on and join the club.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go with the lude. a lil heavy, but still sick.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would YOU choose? (Sheeley's crx)

del sol k swap

x2
Old 07-09-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: What would YOU choose? (john666)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john666 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was in the same situation about 6 months ago.. i ended up getting a prelude... only downside is i have to do the t belt/auto tensioner which i hear is hell. i also have a civic comparing the mpg the civic is much better but it doesnt have ac... not to mention in Cali. if u get pulled over in a civic your sitting on the curb as they check everything. in my prelude they tell me to slow down lol

quick edit.. com'on and join the club.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

See what I mean!?! PURE S3XXX!!!11oneone 'specially in black

Interesting you should mention the civic as this was on my list as well, though not as exciting so it was omitted. Still partial to the 5th gen hatch exterior styling but b000 to no A/C
Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: What would YOU choose? (b20zz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b20zz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">del sol k swap

x2 </TD></TR></TABLE>

I could cut the sarcasm with a dulled spork
Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If this is a true daily driver, get the Prelude. It's simply a much nicer car than the Civic-platform Del Sol. In fact, I can't think of a Honda made - aside from a CRX - that I would enjoy less as a daily driver than the Del Sol.

If you end up with the Prelude, don't bother with bolt-ons. They're a waste of money and serve only to get you hassled by cops. A bolt-on Prelude is slow, a stock Prelude is slow. Might as well keep it cheap and low-key. They have some handling potential if you use the right combination of parts, but their natural heaviness tends to keep them from being autocross kings.

Just my $.02
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A/C is the way to go in Cali... the summers are hot, which is fine if you are constantly moving like some states, but Cali traffic sucks. It can take you an hour just to get 10miles ie. the 91E fwy at 3:30 pm+. Also have to find out what your future plans are for the car.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Common consensus says Prelude and I am inclined to agree

Now to research further into the possibilities that await +_+

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J.D.M)

GL with the car... my only suggestion would be to hit up the performance marketplace for a timing betl/water pump deal and have that replaced considering the mileage. If you can't do it yourself you can pm "Luserkid" on here and he would be able to help you
Old 07-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (95ProjectEJ1)

Just wanted to come to this side of the forums to spam. Black Preludes FTW! Buy one or die

/Spam
Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (ProjectBB6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ProjectBB6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just wanted to come to this side of the forums to spam. Black Preludes FTW! Buy one or die /Spam </TD></TR></TABLE>

best advice ever
Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would go with the Prelude and use that as a DD. I would aslo put only CARB certified parts on my Prelude to keep the smog hassle down to a minimum. If you are looking to get a modded H22 Del sol w/ H2B possibly you wont be able to BAR it from what I hear. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-09-2007, 05:49 PM

not that I advocate spamming, but since ProjectBB6 already opened up that can of worms and this forum is more active than the 'lude forum, here's what I just posted over there. The Sol for $3k is lookin' a lot nicer now...

Man, just when I had my heart set on the 'lude, the guy sellin' won't let it go for 5k. So, I ask you... the experts... is it worth more than that? The windshield is pitted in spots, the rims have been curbed, the rear deck where the speakers are may need work/replacement, will need new paint and (the real kicker) after the test drive the engine began to emit a small amount of black smoke from the area of the head and smelled of rubber (what could that be???). He wants 6,750 and edmunds TMV says around 4,500. The dude is goin' by KBB which says around 7,200 so he thinks he's givin' me a good deal already with the 6,750. As you can see there's quite a big discrepancy between what KBB says and what edmunds says. I'm more inclined to go with edmunds not just because I'm a buyer, but because it's a calculated average of what the car is ACTUALLY SELLING FOR whereas KBB is an average of what the car is being LISTED for. Ideas or guilt tactics to sway the seller to my way of thinking?
Old 07-09-2007, 06:00 PM
SiRek4

buy the prelude and trade it for my old car. the guy who bought my car wants to trade it for a lude.

here it is... http://www.hondamarketplace.co...87060
Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What would YOU choose? (SiRek4)

del sol FTW. it makes so that if some ugly girl wants a ride u can say sorry i only have a 2 seater
Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would YOU choose? (ke98248)

I had a black base model 5th gen with a jdm H22A and it had quite a few problems and a bad CEL cuz I think the guy before me put in a p28 in it, so when it was ran hard, it didn't like it at all. The interior and exterior were in amazing condition though. It got mid 20's for gas mileage. I loved how it looked. Traded it for a 07 fit, and now I'm regretting it.. PRELUDES ARE JUST TOO BADASS.

Heres a couple pics of it.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:52 PM

Ok... I'll just stick it out and save my hard earned pennies for a nice prelude that I won't have to compromise on. No matter what alternative, I think I'm gonna always regret not gettin' the 'lude
Old 07-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J.D.M)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J.D.M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok... I'll just stick it out and save my hard earned pennies for a nice prelude that I won't have to compromise on. No matter what alternative, I think I'm gonna always regret not gettin' the 'lude </TD></TR></TABLE>

good idea. my 1999 lude cost 12 grand used with 27k miles like brand new at the dealer 2 years ago.. I traded it 2 months ago with 39k miles and got 9 grand for the lude and my new fit was 13.

Quick Reply: What would YOU choose?