Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What would be faster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would be faster?

What would be faster? A Complete stock GSR setup, or a B18c1 block with a b16a head, with the b16a tranny. All in same car same driver.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What would be faster? (nefariousyellow)

a gsr set up...... if your gonna do a frank motor i would think doin a B16a block with a B18c1 head will be better cause the B18c1 has a better chamber then the b16
Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be faster? (95_acc0rd)

I'm going to say the gsr block with the b16 head and tranny. The b16 head flows better and with the gsr block you'll be a 1.8 liter...and if I'm not mistaken...isn't it the poor man's type r? Not trying to be misleading but anyways that's what I think about it.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 PM

actually they will be pretty close, the b16a trans will help yeild quicker pick up, but the gsr cams provide more power... i would suggest the gsr (dont forget factory dual valve springs!) for a few reasons:
tranny has imo better gearing (5th is actually ment for the freeway) while u will be in vtec @75mph with a y1. if u need to pass any kind of smog, it will be easier. gsr head provides better quench. and putting a skunk or blox, ect intake manifold on there alone puts u faster than with the b16a head on there.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: What would be faster? (devney)

benchracing is a no no.

and research poor man type R.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be faster? (sol2hatch)

and do your own reasearch/ hence search...just reading these last few posts...its filled with garbage...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be faster? (CW-R hatchback)

and... What was the first thing you said??? If you've got nothingg to say in terms of my question, don't say anything at all.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

actually i answered your question better then anyone else here..

and here is my reasoning on this...

the first few posts were nothing but E-bench yo yo i did this "once" and i yeilded B/A results....there filled with garbage....

my answer to your question was....do some research/hence search and see on your own what you find and skim thru the B/S by searching

i dono why i'm even bothering...these kinds of threads aren't allowed anyway
Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, all I've come up with is ECU jumpers, and a chipped ECU for the Integra, but I am not sure if it really is that simple...
Old 09-12-2007, 09:14 PM

i just saw ur other topics... y didnt u just post all that here??? would have made things easier.
cw-r what garbage do u speak of??? i posted my opinions based on owning a b16a, gsr, and funny enough, a gsr w/ a b16a head he asked a question and gave my answer, so what are we supposed to show him dyno charts of each??? he came here to seek advice and im sure he is going to weigh multi people's opinions to make his decisions.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

gsr block with a b16a head will flow much better. i read somewhere that a full gsr motor made 300whp with a bolt on or whatever, and then the guy put on a b16a head and made an extra 15 whp same psi retuned. i could imagine that going with a full gsr motor and an aftermarket intake mani would flow the same as a stock b16 head, as one previously said. just as long as you get rid of those dual runners i think it'll flow the same.

go with a gsr trans. 1st gear is shorter by just a little bit (3.3xx compared to a 3.2xx) but both have the same FD, which is debatable for the b16a because the helms said it was like a 4.2xx or whatever but someone counted the teeth and calculated it to be a 4.4 fd, same as gsr.

trash both trans and get a type r trans. comes with lsd and a sick 4.7 fd.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be faster? (SoCal B18b 4dr)

Wow, you have all three of those setups!? So do you know what other components would be needed to put the b18c1 in my hatch, since it already has a b16a? All I see that are need are ECU conversion harness' for each car. Do you know if anything else is needed?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr x civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i could imagine that going with a full gsr motor and an aftermarket intake mani would flow the same as a stock b16 head, as one previously said. just as long as you get rid of those dual runners i think it'll flow the same. </TD></TR></TABLE>
thanks for seening what i was getting at
nefariousyellow, what gen hatch are we talking here? i dont mind giving u info or pointing to the info u need, but i just need to know what gen hatch u have
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: What would be faster? (SoCal B18b 4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SoCal B18b 4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
thanks for seening what i was getting at </TD></TR></TABLE>

shh, buddy

now really quick, can u explain why the b16a stock head flows much better than a gsr stock head? is it because of the runners on the intake mani ?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be faster? (gsr x civic)

Its a 94 hatchback DX. It currently has a JDM B16a in it. I am just unclear on what I need to swap the B18c1 into it, and the B16a into the Integra to get them to run correctly, so far I can only see that I need the Ecu Jumpers for both. Am I also unsure about the mounts, if the mounts in both cars can recieve the different engines. Am I missing anything else? Any help would be appreciated. I am still searching to get rid of any confusion.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

B18c1 block with B16 head. B16 head will flow better. The gearing in the B16 tranny is shorter so you will be able to accelerate faster.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsr x civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
go with a gsr trans. 1st gear is shorter by just a little bit (3.3xx compared to a 3.2xx) but both have the same FD, which is debatable for the b16a because the helms said it was like a 4.2xx or whatever but someone counted the teeth and calculated it to be a 4.4 fd, same as gsr.

trash both trans and get a type r trans. comes with lsd and a sick 4.7 fd. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The B16 trans is definetly geared shorter. I used to have a GSR and now I have a B16 huge diffrence.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: What would be faster? (smileycvc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">B18c1 block with B16 head. B16 head will flow better. The gearing in the B16 tranny is shorter so you will be able to accelerate faster.

The B16 trans is definetly geared shorter. I used to have a GSR and now I have a B16 huge diffrence. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The oem headflow is so similar it's negligible.

A b16 head on a gsr block yields lower compression than a gsr head, so he'd lose power in that regard.

b16 trans ftw.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

uh..isn't this guy comparing a poormans type r vs and stock gsr motor??? of course the poormans going to be better. It has the best of both words.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uh..isn't this guy comparing a poormans type r vs and stock gsr motor??? of course the poormans going to be better. It has the best of both words. </TD></TR></TABLE>

To really do a poormans R you need the itr cams/pistons and valve springs.

But yes, good setup and CAN eb done for less, but often times the poormans R is more expensive than the real ITR motor.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To really do a poormans R you need the itr cams/pistons and valve springs.

But yes, good setup and CAN eb done for less, but often times the poormans R is more expensive than the real ITR motor.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The oem headflow is so similar it's negligible.

A b16 head on a gsr block yields lower compression than a gsr head, so he'd lose power in that regard.

b16 trans ftw. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i guess i was wrong to assume that everyone here was retarded i also wanted to point out when he inquired on putting a b16a head on there, i was under the impression he was talking stock cams and all. so just sticking a b16 head on the gsr block isnt the whole "poor man's" type R. even though the guy asked what was "fastest" i wanted to point out the differences between his options
nefariousyellow, im pretty sure that if u do the swap motor for motor then u will just need the jumpers to take the ecu from one car to the other. if u swap the heads when doing the swap then u can retain ur hatchs current ecu and no need for the jumpers. the reason being is that stupid IAB (if i remember correctly) will through a code if it isnt plugged in on the gsr computer. but im sure some one here can reinforce that statement. as i had toyed with the combinations u have here on an ef chassis with a pr3, i am not 100% sure. there may be an easy way to trick the gsr computer for that sensor....
i did a quick search and found no useful info on if removing the iab stuff will throw a code. so if someone here is sure it doesnt then u dont need to swap the ecus.

Modified by SoCal B18b 4dr at 8:27 PM 9/13/2007

Modified by SoCal B18b 4dr at 8:43 PM 9/13/2007
Old 09-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr
Old 09-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would be faster? (rleonekc)

I built a poormans R the right way and have a little over 3 grand just in the long block because I already spent 700.00 on a Y21 lsd tranny.

Poormans R is:

B18C1 block
P30 or P73 usdm or jdm pistons

B16 head or type R head which I opted for plus I had it pnp vj and resurface
Better valvetrain and CTR/ITR cams or SK2 St2 cams or better

ITR manifold or better

My motor netted me roughly 11.6:1 compression although I was shooting for more and I threw B16 cams in it because I am selling the motor before I am able to buy buddy club spec III or IV cams.

A stock gsr will beat a gsr with B16 head if no other modifications are done. Same car and driver of course. Stock gsr with B16 tranny would be fun.

H2B FTMFW
Old 09-13-2007, 08:13 PM

if you already have a b16 reuse the tranny and buy a gsr motor... but that to me would seem like a waste when you could spend money on a turbo... that will own any poorman type r for around the same money
Old 09-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: What would be faster? (sauceja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">H2B FTMFW </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-13-2007, 08:20 PM

Default Re: What would be faster? (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> H2B FTMFW </TD></TR></TABLE>

boosted b16

Quick Reply: What would be faster?