Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what will be the best set up dohc vtec?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what will be the best set up dohc vtec?

this is what i have and need help on what to use to make the best all motor performance with stock parts.

b16 head

gsr head

b16 cams

gsr cams

grs block with type r pistons

b16a2 stock block

ls tranny

gsr tranny!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
eg hatchback
Old 12-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (diggy)

gsr block with type-r pistons.

If you're boosting you might want to go with the b16 with oem pistons. rod/stroke ratio is slightly better.

b16 tranny will be the best choice of what you have,

Old 12-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lego much?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you're boosting you might want to go with the b16 with oem pistons. rod/stroke ratio is slightly better.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard this before, so it's probably true...but in my head I want to say that the extra displacement of the b18 would be ideal
Old 12-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (andoxviii)

Yes. In the long run the b18 would have more potential.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:34 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is what i have and need help on what to use to make the best all motor performance with stock parts.

b16 head

gsr head

b16 cams

gsr cams

b16a2 stock block

ls tranny

gsr tranny!
eg hatchback</TD></TR></TABLE>

GSR Block with TR pistons
B16 head with GSR cams and valve train
GSR trans

sell the rest for for cash for more upgrades
Old 12-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (wicked_b16eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wicked_b16eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

GSR trans

sell the rest for for cash for more upgrades </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm just curious but why would you add the GSR cams to the B16 head? Aren't both heads about equal?
Old 12-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (blu eg22)

GSR cams will have a notable but slight increase in performance over b16 cams.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:49 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is what i have and need help on what to use to make the best all motor performance with stock parts.

b16 head

gsr head

b16 cams

gsr cams

b16a2 stock block

ls tranny

gsr tranny!
eg hatchback</TD></TR></TABLE>

In my opinion, go with everything GSR. If these are the choices.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (SkoundrelUSA)

the gsr cams have slighter lift and duration then the b16 witch will add a slight increase during vtec and the gsr head has tighter intake chambers will yeild more torque in the lower rpms while the T/R pistons with unlease the power up top. this setup that i have just describe to you is know as the " Poor mans type R " this is one of the best bang for the buck N/A builds.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:03 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wicked_b16eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the gsr cams have slighter lift and duration then the b16 witch will add a slight increase during vtec and the gsr head has tighter intake chambers will yeild more torque in the lower rpms while the T/R pistons with unlease the power up top. this setup that i have just describe to you is know as the " Poor mans type R " this is one of the best bang for the buck N/A builds. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol can't be a poorman's R with a GSR head and shitty GSR cams
Old 12-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol can't be a poorman's R with a GSR head and shitty GSR cams </TD></TR></TABLE>

At first i was like

But then i lol'ed :-D
Old 12-23-2007, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR cams will have a notable but slight increase in performance over b16 cams.</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wicked_b16eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the gsr cams have slighter lift and duration then the b16 witch will add a slight increase during vtec and the gsr head has tighter intake chambers will yeild more torque in the lower rpms while the T/R pistons with unlease the power up top. this setup that i have just describe to you is know as the " Poor mans type R " this is one of the best bang for the buck N/A builds. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good look on the info. Guess I need to learn a bit more on the B series.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (blu eg22)

I did this same build except using a b16 block.

B16a block
CTR pistons
CTR crank
CTR rods
JDM 4-1 header
CTR crank pulley
9lb flywheel

GSR head
CTR cams
skunk2 70mm throtle body
skunk2 IM
skunk2 valve train
Stainless Steel valves

power from 2k all the way to 9800

and by far the best build for the money I ever did. Out of all the motors I had this one was the best.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wicked_b16eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

GSR trans

sell the rest for for cash for more upgrades </TD></TR></TABLE>

On an NA setup, the only good use of a GSR trans would be to throw it off a cliff.

Use a B16A trans if you're going NA.

Do you really have all that stuff laying around or is this a hypothetical question to make people start arguing?

Old 12-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

On an NA setup, the only good use of a GSR trans would be to throw it off a cliff.

Use a B16A trans if you're going NA.

Do you really have all that stuff laying around or is this a hypothetical question to make people start arguing?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
X2
Old 12-24-2007, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (ukdmegg5)

b16 trans for n/a FTW
gsr trans for boost
Old 12-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (ek4_b16a)

unless he gets to shifting into 5th gear in the 1/4, the b16 will be plenty fast for boost too guys.

He's be running ~low 12's/11's if he's shifting into 5th before trapping.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (ek forever guy)

Let's see. All Motor.... GSR block/Type R pistons, GSR Head/Cams, GSR tranny. This is only if you're keeping just these parts. A GSR head will yield higher compression than a B16 head, roughly .2 of compression.

Find a B16 tranny though, and you're set.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blu eg22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm just curious but why would you add the GSR cams to the B16 head? Aren't both heads about equal?</TD></TR></TABLE>

See above.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (black_EM1)

your all telling him to use a B16 trans when the OP says that he wants to know what to use with what he has....

Need to pay attention to details.

And a gsr trans for 1st 2nd 3rd (the gears for 1/4) are pretty close to same.

further more the gsr head would yeild higher compression then the b16 but the main thing is that the smaller intake chambers would make better torque down low were the b16 head wouldn't but the Type R pistons would bring the high compression up top and make the HP needed in the upper RPM band.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would have to agree with whomever stated it above:

gsr block w/itr's
b16 head
gsr cams
gsr trans.

poor-mans type r= fun for everyone!!

Throw in a mugen/spoon 2 layer h/gskt, and a chipped p28 for spice!! haha

Id recommend getting rid of the rest of your stuff, and picking up some jspec itr/ctr cams, and a b16 trans. Just my .02
Old 12-24-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Re: (tecMNSTR719)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tecMNSTR719 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would have to agree with whomever stated it above:

gsr block w/itr's
b16 head
gsr cams
gsr trans.

poor-mans type r= fun for everyone!!

Throw in a mugen/spoon 2 layer h/gskt, and a chipped p28 for spice!! haha

Id recommend getting rid of the rest of your stuff, and picking up some jspec itr/ctr cams, and a b16 trans. Just my .02</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be me...

The CTR intake cam is the only one that is different from the rest.. if you want a nice set of OEM cams get ITR.. other wise pick up some aftermarket cams.
If you want to get a chipped ecu, get a blank E-prom and have a tunner write the program for you setup.

And for trans find a lsd trans.. this will make sure all you power gets put down when you launch.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wicked_b16eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your all telling him to use a B16 trans when the OP says that he wants to know what to use with what he has....

Need to pay attention to details.

And a gsr trans for 1st 2nd 3rd (the gears for 1/4) are pretty close to same.

further more the gsr head would yeild higher compression then the b16 but the main thing is that the smaller intake chambers would make better torque down low were the b16 head wouldn't but the Type R pistons would bring the high compression up top and make the HP needed in the upper RPM band. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's funny how you re-write my post in your own words. Really. And for the tranny, 1st is the same. 2nd is slightly longer, and so is 3rd.

And for the last time:
The CTR intake cam is the only one that is different from the rest.. if you want a nice set of OEM cams get ITR..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

98-01 ITR cams are the same as all CTR cams. 96-97 ITR cams have something like 3* less duration or something.

Lesson for everyone because I'm feeling nice.

Why does a GSR head yield higher compression than a B16 head? Is it because of the square intake ports?

No, its because of the smaller Combustion Chamber Volume(cc). The B16 head has a (cc) of 42.70cc, whereas the GSR head has a (cc) of 41.60. The GSR head is also more resistant to detonation.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: what will be the best set up dohc vtec? (black_EM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's funny how you re-write my post in your own words. Really. And for the tranny, 1st is the same. 2nd is slightly longer, and so is 3rd.

And for the last time:

98-01 ITR cams are the same as all CTR cams. 96-97 ITR cams have something like 3* less duration or something.

Lesson for everyone because I'm feeling nice.

Why does a GSR head yield higher compression than a B16 head? Is it because of the square intake ports?

No, its because of the smaller Combustion Chamber Volume(cc). The B16 head has a (cc) of 42.70cc, whereas the GSR head has a (cc) of 41.60. The GSR head is also more resistant to detonation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's funny that your say that I rewrite what you wrote when you just did the same thing on the GSR head subject... lol. I'm not going to sit and throw pissing match like you. I don't need a lesson on this topic.

On the trans subject I said there basicaly the same... You said there slightly different.. Am I the only one catching this here...You just agreed with me on the subject of them basicaly being the same you just wrote it as if you were trying to prove me wrong. All you did here is make your self look like an *** hat. "There slightly different".. In other words there basically the same.

You my friend need the lesson....
Old 12-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's funny that your say that I rewrite what you wrote when you just did the same thing on the GSR head subject... lol. I'm not going to sit and throw pissing match like you. I don't need a lesson on this topic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I added onto my original post with some little known information that wasn't written anywhere. Henceforth the lesson "question", and the subsequent answer.

It just amazes me how people amend others answers but never care to add anything to it. Looking back on your other post, you needed to be corrected. If you can't find it your self, oh smart one, you have a problem. I'll give you a hint. "Intake Ports".

/arguement

On the trans subject I said there basicaly the same... You said there slightly different.. Am I the only one catching this here...You just agreed with me on the subject of them basicaly being the same you just wrote it as if you were trying to prove me wrong. All you did here is make your self look like an *** hat. "There slightly different".. In other words there basically the same.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually I agreed 100% with you, again I expanded on what was there. I wasn't trying to prove you wrong in the slighest.

You my friend need the lesson....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me, there's not a damn thing I could learn from you.

Quick Reply: what will be the best set up dohc vtec?