Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What is this, what does it do, and can i replace it?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this, what does it do, and can i replace it?

It was a long time ago i worked on a engine for the last time.
I cant remember i ever saw this thing, its connected in the motor, but on top of it there is just something that goes to the top of the manifold..

can someone tell me what it does, and if i need it, and if i need it.. do i need a better one for turbo?

And if i need it, can i replace it with something i can attach to the firewall (engine side) and not directly in the engine like it is now?

Edit, i found this:

What Does a Breather Filter Do on a Honda?
A breather filter aids in prevention of problems in engines that are related to excess carbon accumulation. They release some of the exhaust fumes that are reprocessed back into an engine via the EGR system.

But I don't have EGR...

^^ yup, dont plug it unless your planning on using a catchcan

Does this means i can replace it with a catch can? and if i use a catch can as replacement.. do i still need the Charcoal canister? or does the catch can replaces everything?

Or can I just make the connection longer and mount it at the firewall? I want as less as possible directly mounted at the engine and more at the firewall
Attached Images   

Last edited by Asmooh; 04-23-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:28 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: What is this, what does it do, and can i replace it?

That is called a breather box. It is supposed to separate the oil from the air of the crank case for the PCV system.

Don't need to replace it, just replace the Rubber grommet and o-ring on it.

It's function is so-so in my opinion and I plan on adding an oil catch can in addition to on my vehicle at some point.

The charcoal canister I think is on the fuel line isn't it? This is part of the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system. The pressure from the piston ring blowby goes through this back into the intake to be burned. You could replace with just an oil catch can but I think you will accumulate more oil in the can without than just adding the can in addition to the breather.

I personally don't want to have to clean out the can as often so plan on keeping the breather and adding the can before the PCV valve.