Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what type of red is this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what type of red is this?

hey would anyone know what type of red this is... colour code or name would be nice or is it custom?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com...o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com...o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com...o.jpg
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what type of red is this? (d0odle)

Custom.

And this really should be posted in Appearance/Cosmetic.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:31 PM

A really nice red haha
Old 01-29-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Re: (.PLUMMM)

Thats my red! Firepepper Red Pearl...same color as my RSX
Old 01-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Default Re: (RedDC5)

A little off topic and sorry to thread jack but how do you get your bumper/hood clearance like that, while still maintaining fender/hood/light alignment? Ive always liked that look but if I prop the front of my hood like that the hood doesn't line up with the fenders at the sides and sticks up. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what type of red is this? (d0odle)

I painted my old vx a red very similar to that.(hard to really tell by pics)

It was a dupont product and the color was Cosmic candy apple red. Very expensive$$$ I paid almost $1000 (can.) for the bases and clear and I got it at shop cost through a friends bodyshop.

The complete kit comes with a heavily metallic silver base to which candy red is applied and then cleared. Go to a paint store that carries Dupont and check it out...you wont be dissapointed!

IT WAS SICCCKKKK!!!! Prolly thats why it got jacked so quick.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 PM

so this is candy apple red would anyone know the colour code? and it seems he used alot of clear coat to get the glossy look right?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:21 AM

Default Re: (d0odle)

That's definitely a Candy Apple Red. I have a Fender Strat in that color and it looks dead on.

The paint looks flawless on that car
Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (ProMotiveConcepts)

It looks rasberry pearl to me, but this is kind of an objective post because unless we can see the car in person a picture will throw the color hue off.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 AM

Default Re: (spivt11)

I have what looks like almost the same color on my Accord and thats House of Kolor kandy apple red...It was REALLY REALLY expensive though...like 2grand just on base,color,and clear +hardener,reducer etc...
Old 01-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM RuLeS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM RuLeS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have what looks like almost the same color on my Accord and thats House of Kolor kandy apple red...It was REALLY REALLY expensive though...like 2grand just on base,color,and clear +hardener,reducer etc...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you do your own prep work?? Luckily for me I know how to do bodywork and prep so I did all of my own prep work. Feel sorry for the people who can't prep their own car and want expensive paint like House of kolors or dupont hot hues. I painted my yamaha R6 H.O.K Tangelo pearl, similar to the Lambo orange but more vibrant, and that **** cost me like 500 bucks for 2 pints of base alone!!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spivt11 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It looks rasberry pearl to me, but this is kind of an objective post because unless we can see the car in person a picture will throw the color hue off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have to agree. Photos do no justice to paint.

DOODLE - Go to a paint store and ask to have a look at their color chips from HOK and dupont(specifically the Hot Hues line). Since you seen the car in person, maybe you can judge and compare a lil better. Oh and make sure your pockets are fat if you decide to buy without a friend in the trade to get you the shop discount, which can sometimes be as much as %40! Even fatter if you want a shop to do the work for you!!

Also, all you really need are 2-3 good coats of clear. After that you destroy the nice new paint with some water sanding and then polish, polish polish! Again, very expensive if you cant do it yourself.

For a job like the car in your pic, you might be looking at 5 G's or more!! Thats more than what most HT members cars are worth!! LOL
Old 01-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d0odle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by d0odle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so this is candy apple red would anyone know the colour code? and it seems he used alot of clear coat to get the glossy look right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wetsanding is where the glossy look comes from. To get a car to shine like that, you have to do a lot of wetsanding, polishing and buffing AFTER the paintjob. It may be necessary to add a coat or two of clear so you dont have to worry about cuttiing through the clear and into the paint. Doing so, would cause you to start over and respray the clearcoat.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hittnthebz)

Ok, so without meaning to threadjack, how much should a decent paintjob cost?

I'd like to get mine painted, but I don't want crazy paint or anything. Hell just factory black is fine for me. Quotes around here the last time I did it about five years ago or so were all around 3k for just a freaking paintjob. You saying that paintjob is 5g's or so makes me wonder.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dramier)

I said 5gs or more for a "custom" paint job. When you do a color chamge, you have to paint inside the door jams, inside the trunk lid and hood...etc..basically wherever a door opens. Then to get the "wet" look, you have a lot of watersanding and polishing to do afterwards as mentioned, which will add to the price tag.

If your car is black and you need very little to no body work and you are going to spray black again....1000 - 1500 bucks is more reasonable.

3 gs for a color change is quite reasonable also...IMO
Old 02-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Default Re: (JustG)

JustG: I work in a garage so i can work on my car pretty much anytime i want and i just get the bodyman to do stuff for me on the side. i spent about 25oo on supplies and between us we did the bodywork and sprayed 3coats of color over silver then 3 coats of clear..then wet sanded and buffed it all i had to do was buy him beer afterwards..lol
IMO 1500-2000 is decent for a job in the same color, 3000 for a color change, depending on how much custom work is done...