Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What type of coolant do our cars use?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What type of coolant do our cars use?

Acura/Honda coolant is the same. Honda dealer is probably cheaper though. I actually get my fluids from Acura because I have a friend in parts and I pay cost.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by furious94ls
Acura/Honda coolant is the same. Honda dealer is probably cheaper though. I actually get my fluids from Acura because I have a friend in parts and I pay cost.
Thanks for confirming. Do you remember how much you paid for a jug of coolant last time?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
People need to pull your heads out of your rear ends and go read about silicates and how they effect the cooling system components... specifically the water pump. I used to be just like you guys and assumed there was no difference and it was a just a marketing ploy... until my pregnant wife had to walk a mile home when the water pump failed and ripped the timing belt on her car. Didn't "weep" beforehand or anything. No signs of an issue. Someone before us supposedly had it serviced and it had the traditional old green coolant in it. Needless to say, I don't gamble on crap like this any longer. I’ve learned my lesson, unfortunately the hard way.

You want to use any old coolant because its all the same? Let your ignorance guide you. I’m here to tell you its NOT all the same and there is a reason that companies like Honda/Toyota have their own coolant.

Read this:

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-wrong-coolant

Well you wifes vehicle fell victim to a faulty/blemished/defective part that was a ticking timebomb.
WATERPUMPS DO NOT CAUSE MISSION CRITICAL FAILURE LIKE THAT UNLESS THERE WERE FLAWS IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE PART/METALS

sorry for what happened but just cause it happened to you, you will NOT come across a similar incident.

Come on if your a mechanic you know voddo **** just happens sometimes to cars/parts

I agree 100% with you that manufactures imploy propeitery fluids that tend to the design of their own products, hence seals, metals, special parts that make up the part that are not the same and rely on these fluids to not damage thier special design.

We are talking about honda civics here though. If a user decides to run prestone 50/50 then he maybe will shave off some of the mileage he would normally get running the manu spec stuff. I am personally gonna run honda stuff from the start simply because its a new build consisting of only honda parts, but a user with a salty 150k mile civic is better of not changing things around. These cars are already trained to neglect and cheap $#!T.

I just believe your being to much of a **** bout it.

Last edited by beecee18; 05-14-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hybrid96EK
People need to pull your heads out of your rear ends and go read about silicates and how they effect the cooling system components... specifically the water pump. I used to be just like you guys and assumed there was no difference and it was a just a marketing ploy... until my pregnant wife had to walk a mile home when the water pump failed and ripped the timing belt on her car. Didn't "weep" beforehand or anything. No signs of an issue. Someone before us supposedly had it serviced and it had the traditional old green coolant in it. Needless to say, I don't gamble on crap like this any longer. I’ve learned my lesson, unfortunately the hard way.

You want to use any old coolant because its all the same? Let your ignorance guide you. I’m here to tell you its NOT all the same and there is a reason that companies like Honda/Toyota have their own coolant.

Read this:

http://www.ricksfreeautorepairadvice...-wrong-coolant

You are blaming coolant for the wife's water pump failing? Give me ****ing break.
Do you even know what kind of water pump it was?

My car has been runing Prestone bascily it's whole life, with no issues. I personaly have been runing it for 6 years that i've owned it. I am the second owner, and the first said it's always had Prestone in it, since the first flush.

I had 1 pump weep, it wasn't Honda, and had over 100k on it.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
You are blaming coolant for the wife's water pump failing? Give me ****ing break.
Do you even know what kind of water pump it was?

My car has been runing Prestone bascily it's whole life, with no issues. I personaly have been runing it for 6 years that i've owned it. I am the second owner, and the first said it's always had Prestone in it, since the first flush.

I had 1 pump weep, it wasn't Honda, and had over 100k on it.
An airtex, in a salty 150k mile prolly lol.

Fk'n thing just ripped my T-belt right off!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anyone is really that worried about their coolant, a full system flush takes all of 30 minutes in a garage/drive way, and requires ZERO tools.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
If anyone is really that worried about their coolant, a full system flush takes all of 30 minutes in a garage/drive way, and requires ZERO tools.
Can you tell me more about the flush?
I just ordered this and am trying to find a local stealership that sells the OEM coolant for a fair price (it's not the 5 bucks, it's principle).

I was planning on draining the coolant, filling up with distilled water, run the car for the day and fill up again with the new coolant.

The swap was done a year ago (new water pump and all) and the radiator is less than a year old. The reason I want to put new coolant is because when I swapped radiator I was on the road and filled up with regular water and completely forgot to replace with proper coolant until recently.

I am not concerned with freezing + coolant colour is still blue, so some of the lubricants are still flowing, but it's time to make this right.

Bottom line: my system is not too dirty, what kind of flushing would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DSMAddicted
Can you tell me more about the flush?
I just ordered this and am trying to find a local stealership that sells the OEM coolant for a fair price (it's not the 5 bucks, it's principle).

I was planning on draining the coolant, filling up with distilled water, run the car for the day and fill up again with the new coolant.

The swap was done a year ago (new water pump and all) and the radiator is less than a year old. The reason I want to put new coolant is because when I swapped radiator I was on the road and filled up with regular water and completely forgot to replace with proper coolant until recently.

I am not concerned with freezing + coolant colour is still blue, so some of the lubricants are still flowing, but it's time to make this right.

Bottom line: my system is not too dirty, what kind of flushing would you guys recommend?

Thanks!
I personally use compressed air (blower gun) paired with the ol' garden hose and flush the hell out of the radioator through the top tank, then through the lower tank. I have succesfully flushed clogged radiators this way many times.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18
I personally use compressed air (blower gun) paired with the ol' garden hose and flush the hell out of the radioator through the top tank, then through the lower tank. I have succesfully flushed clogged radiators this way many times.
Yes, that's the HomeDepot method, which I've used many times myself...

Either way, while researching the types of Honda/Acura coolant (PN: OL999-9011/OL999-9011A) I came across this DIY.
Look at picture 3 (yellow circle)... I had no idea the ITR motor had that. I thought that was pretty cool.

BTW... based on my research and a few phone calls, it looks like they no longer sell non pre-mixed coolant.
Only 50/50 (PN above) and these bastards are listing it for nearly $26 and offering me a "discounted price" of $19.23.
Fùckin' thieves. >.<
Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that's the HomeDepot method, which I've used many times myself...

Either way, while researching the types of Honda/Acura coolant (PN: OL999-9011/OL999-9011A) I came across this DIY.
Look at picture 3 (yellow circle)... I had no idea the ITR motor had that. I thought that was pretty cool.

BTW... based on my research and a few phone calls, it looks like they no longer sell non pre-mixed coolant.
Only 50/50 (PN above) and these bastards are listing it for nearly $26 and offering me a "discounted price" of $19.23.
Fùckin' thieves. >.<
All B-series have this plug on the engine block I think.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beecee18
All B-series have this plug on the engine block I think.
yes.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good.
I read one of the comments in that thread saying that certain motors (B18B?) didn't.

Either way, glad I saw it.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds good.
I read one of the comments in that thread saying that certain motors (B18B?) didn't.

Either way, glad I saw it.
They all have it, all the D-series do to ('96 - '00 are on the back of the block) All Honda engines from about '88 on should have it, the block heater replaces that plug btw.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
They all have it, all the D-series do to ('96 - '00 are on the back of the block) All Honda engines from about '88 on should have it, the block heater replaces that plug btw.
Good to know, thanks for clarifying.