Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What type of clutch disk?!

Old 07-11-2005, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of clutch disk?!

Heres something i dont hear many people talk about... sooner or later I will need to invest in an aftermaket heavy duty clutch. Problem is, I see many types of clutch disks around(3-puck, 6-puck, full disk), and i am wondering what type you are running and how it affects the feel of your engine . By that I mean would it act like a lightened flywheel if you used a 3-puck disk? Thanks for clearing this up for me..
Old 07-11-2005, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a 6-puck sprung clutch...and a lightened flywheel...
A flywheel and a clutch are totally different, the flywheel will let your engine spin up faster, but it also spins down faster.

The clutch....it's very touchy, you'll probably stall out a bunch of times because it engages soo hard and the revs need to be almost perfectly match to avoid damage to the drivetrain.

To put it another way, there is only a small margin of error when engaging the clutch...this window gets even smaller with a lightened flywheel. But if you know how to drive it, you'll love it because you can launch real hard, and get good throttle response (w/ lightened flywheel) but it really sux in traffic, reverse, and really sux when you have to stop at a light on an incline, with some oblivion in an SUV parked right on your ***.....you can certainly burn these clutches up fast..

and FYI, this gets asked all the time....
Old 07-11-2005, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What type of clutch disk?! (Gunmetal_B20_Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gunmetal_B20_Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres something i dont hear many people talk about... sooner or later I will need to invest in an aftermaket heavy duty clutch. Problem is, I see many types of clutch disks around(3-puck, 6-puck, full disk), and i am wondering what type you are running and how it affects the feel of your engine . By that I mean would it act like a lightened flywheel if you used a 3-puck disk? Thanks for clearing this up for me..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I use a heavy duty pressure plate with a 6-puk sprung hub disc. Before this disc I had a 6-puk sprungless. I like the sprung hub. Because It's not too aggressive when engaged, but still has a good grip. Don't know what you mean by saying would it act like a enlighten flywheel.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree with pioneer182. ih ave a n action 1md 6 puck unsprung clutch with a exedy flywheel. i have a drove a stick for 5 years and every once in a while i will stahl in traffic. however it seems to grip excelent and if u want a lucth i recomend the action clutches due to the fact they have similar clutch pressures to stock
hope this helps some
Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the differefnce between an unsprunug and a sprung disk?

Would a 3-puck wear down much faster than a 6-puck? The less surface area seems like it would wear down quicker.