Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what sort of MPG should i expect with a b18b1 in an EG hatchback?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what sort of MPG should i expect with a b18b1 in an EG hatchback?

How many miles per gallon could I expect to get from a stock b18b1 in a EG hatch? And what about a b20z(#)? With the LS transmission.

I have been enjoying the nearly 40MPG of my factory SOHC, but I can't stand the idea that I'm burning 5 liters of oil every 400-500 miles. I cant find a low miles factory-correct engine, either. At this point I'm confident my core is shot, the cam journals were real sad and the cylinder walls dont look much better. I can only imagine how beat up my crank is.

Thanks folks.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a b18b1 in my eg hatch with a gsr trans and I still pull 30+ if I don't run the living hell out of it
Old 09-30-2014, 05:36 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: what sort of MPG should i expect with a b18b1 in an EG hatchback?

The mpg will vary so if you're easy on the pedal than you can see what kind of mpg you get.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Typical driving around town: 26-28ish.
100% highway at like 70mph: 32-35ish.
100% highway at like 80mph: 28-30ish.

SOHC's don't seem to care how they're driven. Magical MPG at all times.

Enjoy your 12-45 extra hp, though. Idk which SOHC you have.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I guess I'll see. I would be disappointed to see 25ish though, so you guys telling meni could get 30 is pretty cool
Old 09-30-2014, 07:21 AM
Fish Twig

Why not find another D?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I can get 33 city out of a stock 97 GSR you can get 35 or better out of a B18B swapped EG.

Every 125lbs in weight reduction equals a .9 increase in MPG. EGs have a better C of D as well, so they should get better freeway fuel economy.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thats funny baller, I heard that weight doesn't effect cruising as in a high way but rather getting up to speed.

anyway, I looked under the valve cover of every.single.integra and they were, each and every single one, missing their rocker arm assemblies. Cams were on the ground or probably thrown under cars.

I found a *mint* eh9, incredibly minimal quarter panel rot, perfect paint, 8 or 9/10 interior. Sadly, they bought it as scrap rather than a car so theres no title. AND someone took the p28 and vtec solenoid. It said "Smokey motor" on the windshield but i inspected what i could in the yard and it appears to be a good core to rebuild unlike my 1.5.

so, I'm going to do something with a d16z6 i guess. I figure with the DX transmission it should get close to the b7's MPG. Or I might throw my y7 head on it and sell the z6 head to regain some funds. Dunno yet, thanks for your comments guys.

plz close this thread I guess do whatever you want I dont care lol
Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by baller status
If I can get 33 city out of a stock 97 GSR you can get 35 or better out of a B18B swapped EG.

Every 125lbs in weight reduction equals a .9 increase in MPG. EGs have a better C of D as well, so they should get better freeway fuel economy.
In which CITY does one get 33mpg in a GSR? For God's sake....
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by taco_hut
Thats funny baller, I heard that weight doesn't effect cruising as in a high way but rather getting up to speed.

anyway, I looked under the valve cover of every.single.integra and they were, each and every single one, missing their rocker arm assemblies. Cams were on the ground or probably thrown under cars.

I found a *mint* eh9, incredibly minimal quarter panel rot, perfect paint, 8 or 9/10 interior. Sadly, they bought it as scrap rather than a car so theres no title. AND someone took the p28 and vtec solenoid. It said "Smokey motor" on the windshield but i inspected what i could in the yard and it appears to be a good core to rebuild unlike my 1.5.

so, I'm going to do something with a d16z6 i guess. I figure with the DX transmission it should get close to the b7's MPG. Or I might throw my y7 head on it and sell the z6 head to regain some funds. Dunno yet, thanks for your comments guys.

plz close this thread I guess do whatever you want I dont care lol
Instead of being depressed...have you considered a JDM D series? They're like $500-700. Low miles. Delovered to your door.

Www.jdmenginescorp.com
Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I was looking at the carbureted engines since I figured those would be the cheapest, the few websites I checked said out of stock and my 'local' importers didnt have any either. Plus I figure it might be sorta cool to mess with a carburetor since IV never really, really dealt with one before. IV fucked with a Chevy 350 & a Toyota 22r carb but never rebuilt a carb or hooked one up so I figure it could be fun. Plus, my obd1 vehicle could maybe allow me to use it, all they test in my state is tail pipe emissions, CEL, and a couple dumb things like 'do the brakes stop the car? Does the gas cap hold pressure?' so I dont see why I wouldn't be able to. My friend's car burns a lil oil and it just passed emissions with like 6 out of 244 and 0 out of 100 or something like that I could look but I dont feel like it.. Lol failed for a gas cap tho, I grabbed 4 from the junk yard today.

I have a feeling this z6 just needs a head gasket. I'm gonna start running diagnostics on it tomorrow or maybe friday/sat/sunday, I have a spare graphite head gasket so I'm more than likely going to try that out before I really actually do anything. If it has good compression in every cylinder, minimal C.C. Leakage, etc, then I'll be stabbing random crap in the dark.....

which I'm not interested in, so I'll pull the head off (which appears to be fantastic, but I haven't checked the lil mill tab. Maybe its warped and already milled more than it should be?)
and then I'll bring the block to a machinist, have em thoroughly inspect that and go from there. Hopefully it doesn't need to be bored, if it does I'll probably just scrap the block and sell the head and try to break even. Having to buy oversized pistons sounds like a **** deal lol.. If I do, I'll do that vitara rebuild and buy a turbo manifold some other time.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:10 AM

I have never seen so much passion for wanting to work on a D series. Installing a carburetted engine would take a SUBSTANTIAL amount of work and net much less MPG.

Graphite head gasket? Just use a Genuine Honda gasket if that's what your car needs.

If your car drinks oil....its probably not the head gasket.

All of that seems too crazy for me. I'd just longblock swap it and go on living my life.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome back, shotoutacc0rd. Besides your Chevy and Toyota experience, your use of the compound word "I have" as IV is pretty much a dead giveaway.

Example:
Originally Posted by shotoutacc0rd
IV had to beat on em with a hammer before. IV never had one that said "screw you i'ma keep spinnin!!". But IV gotten cars to start by beating em with a hammer before

When did you get a hatch?

eH.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Fish Twig

graphite head gasket?

carburetted engines?

GL with that swap.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a stock b20b with ls tranny in a ej2 i get 300miles to the tank beat on it at least once during tjose 300 miles, mostly high way and some city get the same mileage every fill up
Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I wasn't clear. First comment was regarding city mpg and the second was saying you should also get better highway.

Originally Posted by B serious
In which CITY does one get 33mpg in a GSR? For God's sake....
Salt Lake City? The car's in San Diego currently but not being driven.
I averaged 35 on the drive down there.
I have a folder full of gas receipts with calculations written on them and I also put them in a maintenance spreadsheet to track in relation to mods and maintenance. For a long period of time I even had an ITR trans in there, but it's back to the original trans until I learn to rebuild this thing this winter.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 PM

Driving at 2AM thru SLC? No traffic/no lights?

Nobody gets that MPG. And the ITR trans would net better MPG in the "city".
Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Lol do you have a probably with the fact that I'm too lazy to tap the E key in "I've"? I also spell tho without the ugh...

anyway some of the folks here are confused incredibly easily.. I know I write like a retard but com'on ya'l are derping.

this is the third time IV written this, IV been tryin to take Hatch's advice on ignoring the derpers here, but why not I'll post again....

1. My b7 is shot out, IV driven it around the trip-o-meter a couple times now, tried lots of nonsense and I'm convinced that this engine hates me for saying I'm gonna sell it for $.50 cents a pound. I should have listened to 'that guy' when he told me I'll end up blowing up any engine 4 times unless I completely rebuild it the right way.. So thats what I'll probably do with this new engine

2. The only back story on my engine is that it smoked. Who knows if it was coolant or oil? Not me, only the person who sold a mint vtec fully loaded 4 door for like $300, without the ****** title!!! Grrr! So, I poked at it a little and I think its in damn good shape compared to my b7. if the combustion chambers have leakage thru the fluid jackets, why on earth wouldn't I install a new head gasket and see if that fixes it....??????? Why would folks talk **** about that??? If the rings are still very good, and the bearings are too, why fix what's not broken?

3. I'm not a fan of carburetors, but why not see if the twins will run? What could be so difficult..? If its a mechanical fuel pump, I'm pretty sure I could get the whatever-it-is that bolts into the tank instead of the electric pumps, or use an old fuel cell or something. Besides that, what else could hold it up from running? They're carburetors they do all the work, if I'm not mistaken (perhaps)

4. You can simply put in a new guaranteed imported engine, but that's no fun and it could end up being even more of a headache than rebuilding a head with a burnt valve, only to find out the shitty b7 oil control rings were the problem the whole time?. There's only a few Japanese engines I actually like, and nun of em are hondurrs cuz a ****** sweet 300 hp aluminum v6 is like six fiddy. And a dumb sub 200hp, 15+ yr old GSR motor is 4,000....? Meanwhile a ******* turbo supra motor (350hp) is like less than $1,000, and with a 5speed instead of the supra 6 speed a motor set is more than a thousand less than a GSR... It makes no sense, yo. Well, it does I suppose but anyway Hondas are lame I'ma goin to figure something out with this z6.. Maybe it'l run good without any moneys. Maybe I'll spend too much money and do the dumb Suzuki thing.. Maybe, what I really should do anyway, is install a b13 and drift a civic cuz I can't find any videos of a rotary civic drifting. Ya'l will be mad jealous of my civic, thats really a civic, that drifts. Blowing miatas away erry day with a proper Mazda power plant.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

P.s. Guys how do I take off a real z6 automatic transmission..?

undo the splash guard thingy that covers the torque converter, undo all the bolts, and unbolt the case and thats it or are there bitch pins in these awful Honda automatic transmissions too?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:31 AM

This is another one of those "oil change supplies" threads. OP is hopeless if this isn't a joke.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:56 AM
yippee-ki-yay

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
This is another one of those "oil change supplies" threads. OP is hopeless if this isn't a joke.
OP has been banned four times. Read his other threads. This is his MO. Ask questions, confuse the issue, never do any actual work.

Grumblemarc, NotARacist, Ron J and Tony_2018 are all very familiar with him.

Quit feeding the troll.

eH.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I have a motor set now tho. And my Most Wanted valve cover looks ****** sweet guys.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

P.s. eh, I never "confuse(d) the issues".

sure, the title is misleading, but that's not my fault. I fully intended to pull a motor set out of an Integra, and I'm not repeating myself about what happened. if B serious actually read what I posted he wouldn't have thought that I said a headgasket will fix my b7.

mad people being dumb, yo. These b7s are trash though. The high compression factory pistons are cool but the rest of it is trash. I figure thats why Honda abandoned that series' molds in favor of the 1.6, and eventually the 1.7. You can call me a trolll all you want but all that IV done wrong is not expect ppl to take the rockers out of every b18b1

Last edited by taco_hut; 10-02-2014 at 09:38 AM. Reason: dang i repeated myself
Old 10-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Fish Twig

There is no god damn way of getting 33 mpg/city with a gsr. The engine requires premium gas and no matter the light foot stop/go traffic will kill you. So unless your holding up traffic by going slow as possible and taking forever to get to your destination than its not possible.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Fish Twig

P.s. eh, I never "confuse(d) the issues".

sure, the title is misleading, but that's not my fault. I fully intended to pull a motor set out of an Integra, and I'm not repeating myself about what happened. if B serious actually read what I posted he wouldn't have thought that I said a headgasket will fix my b7.

mad people being dumb, yo. These b7s are trash though. The high compression factory pistons are cool but the rest of it is trash. I figure thats why Honda abandoned that series' molds in favor of the 1.6, and eventually the 1.7. You can call me a trolll all you want but all that IV done wrong is not expect ppl to take the rockers out of every b18b1
Whose mad? You sitting here asking about mpg for a certain engine but end up adding info that is irrelevant to your question and start rambling about Toyota's this/that. Thats why your question never gets a good answer because you bringing shitty information to the fight. You haven't learn anything since you were last banned?

If you think its a headgasket issue why haven't you replaced it with the spare? You not broke anymore and want to go big or something? Than do the swap then show and tell. Other than that its just another one of your hopeless "ask a theory question".

Quick Reply: what sort of MPG should i expect with a b18b1 in an EG hatchback?