Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what are some of the important bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are some of the important bushings?

I have a 97 del sol si stock, i am not sure if I should change the bushings, but if i do, which part of the bushings should I change? I dont want to change the whole car, but just the critical ones. I'm gonna change to Energy Performance bushings, any recommendation on what to change? lower control arm, shifter..etc?
Old 07-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Re: what are some of the important bushings?

any experience?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Changing bushings isn't a performance modification on the Del Sol Si. It is more an item of upkeep. If you have bushings that are damaged or worn then your suspension will be sloppy and your steering will be vague. So, check the front lower control arms, the front upper control arms, the rear lower control arms, and the rear trailing arm bushings. Make sure all of those are in good shape. If any of them are worn out or damaged then replace them on both sides of the car.

Energy Suspension markets their master bushing kit for $150 or so. That kit will replace every bushing on the car. So, if you have more than two or three bad bushings it may be worthwhile to purchase the entire kit just to save money on the bushings you need.

My experience is that the Energy Suspension bushings are nice but they don't last as long as the factory OEM Honda bushings. Although, at roughly 1/4 the cost you could replace the bushings 4 times and still be cheaper than replacing with stock OEM Honda parts.

For my money I go with OEM Honda. I just don't have the time, money, tools, and desire to press out all of the bushings from their casings and then press in new bushings all the while knowing that I will have to do it again in 50,000 miles. So, I buy stock replacement bushings...and not worry about replacing them for 150,000 miles.

Also, it is very important to make sure that you clock the new bushings when you put them in. Clocking is when you let the weight of the car rest on the bushing before completely tightening the bolts down. If you don't clock your bushings their life span will be reduced by 75%. So, whether you go with stock OEM Honda or Energy Suspension make sure you do the job right or you will have to do it again, and again, and again....
Old 07-20-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your car is stock ur bushings should be still good. unless somebody messed with your suspension. To check them all u have to do is a visual inspect them for tears in the rubber.

Last edited by verycleanhatch; 07-20-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My car is stock and the trailing arm bushings are completely worn out. I am the original owner so nobody changed my suspension.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The rear trailing arm bushings are very important. But I woud NOT use polyurethane bushings back there. they have a reputation of causing nasty binding problems. Use OEM bushings or hard rubber Hardrace bushings. When I have to replace all my poly bushings I'm going to switch to hardrace rubber. I just dont feel like replacing poly every year or so.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not along the lines you are talking about, but if you replace the shifter bushing with the energy one, it will feel only about a million times better. I know cause I did it. Only like 15 bucks from summit, black or red buddy. Trust me, do it. There's two pieces in the kit, money well spent.