Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What are signs of a high mileage motor swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are signs of a high mileage motor swap?

I've been looking to get a daily driver with a little pep in it, and lately I've seen plenty of EG hatches with B16 swaps, this is the cheapest swap for the smallest price, but every guy has the same story, It came from japan with 65,000 - 75,000 miles on it.

Basically, I want to know i'm not getting a dud, should I ask for papers of the engine purchase?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump, anyone?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: (napalm588)

Im also interested in this. Living in cal, it seems as though 95% of the swaps ive seen have been done under the table....
Old 03-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are signs of a high mileage motor swap? (napalm588)

compression test. make sure #'s are within a few psi of each other and not low.

start the car cold and see if blue smoke puffs out. if it does, you have bad valve seals... not the biggest deal but it is an example of wear and tear.

ask the guy how much oil the engine burns. It may burn a little bit but if it loses 3 quarts every oil change then that is bad

paperwork will not show anything about miles or condition generally with a jdm motor swap. it will show that it was legitimately paid for and that is about it.

If you don't feel confident, have a mechanic give you a second opinion.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: What are signs of a high mileage motor swap? (EH2palmyblueSIR2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EH2palmyblueSIR2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">compression test. make sure #'s are within a few psi of each other and not low.

start the car cold and see if blue smoke puffs out. if it does, you have bad valve seals... not the biggest deal but it is an example of wear and tear.

ask the guy how much oil the engine burns. It may burn a little bit but if it loses 3 quarts every oil change then that is bad

paperwork will not show anything about miles or condition generally with a jdm motor swap. it will show that it was legitimately paid for and that is about it.

If you don't feel confident, have a mechanic give you a second opinion. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Compression and leak down test are pretty much the only way to determine weather a motor is somewhat legit or not. If whomever selling the car is serious about selling it, and it confident in the car, then he will have no problem with you double checking.

Also, get someone knowledgeable to look through the car and further inspect it. I've looked at a few Hondas with some intent to buy, and it seemed like every car that was modded was complete junk. Countless shortcuts were taken, the car was neglected ect. Regular maintenance was tossed to the wind because they were to worried about mods. Get a mechanic, or someone you know to be smart with cars to look over it. Be patient, and only spend you're money if you're confident in the car.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:04 PM

Default Re: What are signs of a high mileage motor swap? (93eg2james)

i dont know if its ever happened to anyone else but... i went to look at a guys car and he had just washed it, so it was dripping water everywhere. a little into inspecting the car i found out it leaked what appeared to be oil which he failed to mention. im guessing he tried hiding the oil leak by making the whole damn car saoking wet. just my 2 cents.

anyhow compression test
Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy from some place reputable like Hmotorsonline.com