Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What should I do with my Civic? Trash it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I do with my Civic? Trash it?

So its been a longgg tough life for this one, but its time to put her to sleep!
Its got 460,000km+.
Just wondering if I can still squeeze some $$$ out of it somehow or just drive it to the junkyard? Because the engine and AT trans are perfect.
I've never actually been through this process before, so anyone that has, can chime in!
Its not in sellable condition by any means!

Its got a swapped SOHC ZC VTEC motor (equivalent to D16Z6?), with about 100,000km on it.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What should I do with my Civic? Trash it?

if it's trouble free and all your doing is maintaining it...
keep driving it...
you have a fairly new motor in it... drive it until the wheels fall off
if it's at the shop more than 3-4 times a year junk it.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:23 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Not that this is technical by any means but maybe you should just part it out. What ECU are you running BTW?
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would definitely say tryin parting it out first. interior looks to be in sellable shape, and you could get something for the motor and trans as well. most of the OEM honda trim pieces, steering wheel, air bags, dash, and such could all be turned for a profit before sending it to the crusher.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The thing is i can't keep driving it, I've gotten pulled over for it being being in un-drivable shape.
The motor pulls hard as hell, even with an AT tranny, so I reallllly don't wanna just waste it! And its got a P28 AT ecu .

I would part it out, but I don't have the $$ or tools to take any powertrain components out.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:30 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by alldemtingz
The thing is i can't keep driving it, I've gotten pulled over for it being being in un-drivable shape.
The motor pulls hard as hell, even with an AT tranny, so I reallllly don't wanna just waste it! And its got a P28 AT ecu .

I would part it out, but I don't have the $$ or tools to take any powertrain components out.

Would the junkyard give me next to nothing for it?
Probably. Just sell it for parts (parts car). Pull off anything that you CAN remove. I'd post this up in the Marketplace. People do this all the time.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Post it online for a you-pull situation. Sell the parts a little cheaper if people are willing to pull them theirselves. Interior parts...if you have a basic tool box from wal-mart you can take those out.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well you'll be losing out on some cash in the long run by not selling some major components, but if you need a large lump sum of cash in a hurry it seems as the junk yard is your best bet.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Who is pulling you over for it being undriveable? OPP? Toronto Police? What was the infraction? I don't believe it, unless they are inspecting for rust when it's parked on the street. PS. I'll buy the steering wheel.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The engine and ECU are worth something, So is the steering wheel (put it on ebay, you wont get much for it in Canada) Door panels, Rad looks really good, A/C stuff, seats look pretty good, transmission is just about worthless though, unless you can find someone that needs one. Front knuckles, exhaust, brake calipers etc all sell.

The way it sits now i'd pay $150 - $200 for the car as whole, but i'd probably pay $300 - $400 for the engine alone. You really don't need much for tools to take one of these cars apart.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Interior is CLEAN from what i see.. and i dunno bout where u live but where i live most u can get from a car going to junk yard is 300... u can Put it up on craigslist for like 1000 OBO bet u can get atleast 700 for it.... its a project car
Old 02-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
Who is pulling you over for it being undriveable? OPP? Toronto Police? What was the infraction? I don't believe it, unless they are inspecting for rust when it's parked on the street. PS. I'll buy the steering wheel.
X2
Old 02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

X3, I've never heard of that. I mean, it looks rough, is there any problems that actually make it undrivable?

I guess your options are part it out and scrap, donate it to charity or swap the good parts into another chassis.

Personally, I'd try to find a way to be able to drive the wheels off it. I've got two of them in my drivew ay I'm doing that with now.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Seagull Management

I dunno what Ontario is like, but here in New Brunswick the vehicle must not have any rust perforations. I'm told sometimes the OPP like to go a little nuts and really look stuff over, it may have bad ball joints, tie rods ends etc rotten brake lines, who knows. I really don't like seeing vehicles with front end parts falling off on the road, it's kinda scary when you see someone that can't steer, rust, no brakes etc i'm not overly concerned with.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It looks undriveable cause cosmetically, it looks so. I'd take some sandpaper and remove the scale and rust put some bondo and sand it and then try to match the paint with rattle can paint and touch it up and then drive it as a daily. Engine is new according to my standards, its a good cars still
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been told by OPP it needs an insurance inspection or something, nothing in writing really, but is deemed unsafe to drive.

Just a list of the cosmetic problems:
Front driver fender, almost crumpled.
Front driver door, rust has eaten bottom 1/3, can see the inner metal.
Rear L quarter panel, dented to hell b/c of skidding of course on ice.
Windshield cracked from top to bottom, line crack
Was involved in a hit and run, and the rear reinforcement bar is no longer there, and rear trunk is pushed in, rear bumper held on by zip ties lol
Huge water leak near top of passenger roofline, water enters via sun visor
Hood completely rusted, passenger front door rusted badly on bottom, Roof near the windshield line rusted (hence the leak), both rear quarters rusted, paint severely faded on entire car, various rust spots and dents on car

Other non-working stuff:
A/C is kaput, don't know the reason, doesn't even turn on
One Washer nozzle broke off
Rear brakes lock up on slippery surfaces
Fuel line leaking (near fuel tank) when being driven
Heater isn't the strongest
Lights are pretty dim

Here is the goodstuff (and the reason why it pains me to get rid of it to the junker):
Engine pulls as strong as a new one (and that 1st gen vTEC sound is to die for lol)
Steering/handling is excellent without any play whatsoever, and steering wheel is leather!
OEM Wheels are soooooooooooo light
No torn/worn bushings or ball joints, very tight suspension
No atf/oil/coolant/brake fluid/power steering fluid leaks whatsoever
No CEL
Starts and drives perfectly in -30C weather!!

Btw, are those 13" OEM Honda wheels worth anything too anyone?
Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see quite a list of bads, but it also sounds like you want to keep the powertrain, which I would -Z6's are one of the better honda engines. BTW those wheels look like 14's (or at least the hubcaps look like 14's I have and if the rubber is decent on them 100 bucks for 4 is a good price that they can fetch
Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the real value of the engine if i call upon to pull it out themselves?

The hubcaps on steelies are 14", but the car is now on the polished 13" rims (1st pic)
Old 02-01-2011, 05:56 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Sell it to an American as CDM. This is what we just assume all Canadian cars look like anyway.

Seriously, I'd part it out and junk the rest. I know here in the states you can donate cars and then claim it on your tax return as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh nice,did not see em if you were closer I'd get them off of you. The engine looks real good and like 94EG said $300 to 400 but by the looks of it and it pulling hard I myself would not settle for less than 375
Old 02-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by NOFX
Sell it to an American as CDM. This is what we just assume all Canadian cars look like anyway.

Seriously, I'd part it out and junk the rest. I know here in the states you can donate cars and then claim it on your tax return as well.
LOL. Yeah, CDM is the new JDM/EDM .. I see you got that memo. "Rusted" hoods? We pioneered that isht.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:12 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I swear there is money to be made just selling stock Canadian cars to American tuner kids. "For Sale: Rare 1998 CDM Civic Si".
Old 02-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by alldemtingz
Btw, are those 13" OEM Honda wheels worth anything too anyone?
If you had these like a year or so ago I probably would have bought them for my mom's hatch, I ended up getting a set of VX wheels and refinishing them, and the hatch will be for sale in the spring anyway.

Originally Posted by fonkernuckle
BTW those wheels look like 14's (or at least the hubcaps look like 14's I have and if the rubber is decent on them 100 bucks for 4 is a good price that they can fetch
They're 13"s. They were the optional accessory wheels for hatchbacks and Canadian LX sedans in '96 (not sure if they were sold in the US at all, or if they were sold any other year, '96 was the only year any 6th gen civics came with 13" wheels)
Old 02-01-2011, 06:16 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by NOFX
I swear there is money to be made just selling stock Canadian cars to American tuner kids. "For Sale: Rare 1998 CDM Civic Si".
Hmm, in that case I may have to advertise mom's hatch cross boarder. Has the "rare" CDM airbag block off tray on the passenger's side too.

LOL. Yeah, CDM is the new JDM/EDM .. I see you got that memo. "Rusted" hoods? We pioneered that isht
We sure did, just no one has caught up to us yet, they've only gotten as far as the rusted hood. We've gone way past that, rusted quarters, rusted doors, trunk lids. If you've ever wondered why you never see gutted CDM cars it's because the carpet is the only thing keeping your feet off the road. I swear half of the '92 - '95 Civics I see have 2x4 holding up the front seats.

On a slightly more serious note hoods are oddly one of the few things that didn't ordinarily rust all that bad on their own, same with front fenders. usually it's doors and quarter panels.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:22 PM

^ I found one on Thursday. 1998 CX-G. It was too dark by then to pull it out, though. $100??!? Must. Go. Back. I did find $17 between the seats in that car, which basically paid for half of what I bought that day. Love that. It was like Scrooge McDuck in that car.

Quick Reply: What should I do with my Civic? Trash it?