Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What short throw to get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What short throw to get?

I am helping out a friend from work and was wondering what short throw brands are good and durable?

It's a ~95 coupe
TIA
Old 01-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What short throw to get? (sandman)

short throws are bad on linkage and trannys. but to answer your question, just stay away from aluminum. skunk2 is pretty good.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What short throw to get? (Spoon Hybrid)

what's so bad about aluminum shifters?
Old 01-18-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: What short throw to get? (joe_bocc)

i HIGHLY recomend B&M.
and yeah. STAY AWAY FROM ALUMINUM!
the heat from your exhaust which is pritty much right below your shifter heats up the aluminum and weakens it to the point of when you go to slam it into gear or something it will break...

[Modified by 91SIvic, 4:29 AM 1/19/2003]
Old 01-18-2003, 07:35 PM

short throws arnt bad on linkage or trannys at all, how can you even **** up a linkage?!!!!, ive read so much about people saying its the short shifters fault they grind the syncros and all sorts of other bullshit, wrong... THE PERSON grinds their tranny. learn how to drive, when you can get your foot up to the same speed as your hand, youll understand why its a good thing to have a short shifter. and stop spreading info you dont know about. send me pics of the tranny that got messed up soley b/c of the short shifter, and ill laugh at you further for buying into some dumbasses excuse for wrecking his nearly bulletproof transmission.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Re: What short throw to get? (euclid)

and b&m sucks, they rattle so much you could use it for a vibrator, theres no bend in the arm which means you gradually develope scoliosis, and they sit too low... i can say this b/c i know, i have one and im gonna rip it out and throw it away b/c i wouldnt sell myself out for 30$ trying to sell someone else a piece of **** product.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im talking from experience, not from something ive heard. my friend installed a DC shifter, and about 1 month later it started grinding going into 2nd and 3rd. we had changed the fluid about 5 months earlier with redline, and it was working great. the car only had 35K on it, and he can drive a stick very well. i know 100% that the shifter was the culprit. a mechanic, and the honda dealership blamed the shifter. this is my experience, so thats why i am against short throws. if you have had good experiences, well then to you, no need to flame me. thanks.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:47 PM

the mechanic might have said that b/c he didnt want to replace the tranny under warranty. i dont know your particular situation but if the dealer doesnt install aftermarket mods waranty is ussally void. and somehow ive had a short shifter on my car for about 20K on a tranny w/ 130k and it still runs like a ****** champ, and i drive my car very hard sometimes.

im sorry for snapping on you, but some of this **** is really starting to get to me.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:50 PM

short throws dont mess up your tranny....mis-shifting does
Old 01-18-2003, 07:54 PM

i'd go with the dc sports. i've been through 3 civics with the same shifter switched from car to car and never had a problem with grinding or any of that nonsense. if you can drive the car you dont have to worry bout messing anything up.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What short throw to get? (HybridHackBatch)

yep that;s the case

oh and b&m sucks too. I had one, that dam thing rattles alot and it does sits low and without the bend which also sucks. I'm glad I got the skunk2 shifter now-perfect height and is closer to my hand so I don't have to reach out everytime I shift. I'd just wish I bought the skunk2 in the first place.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:20 PM

Default Re: What short throw to get? (sleeperciv)

yep that;s the case

oh and b&m sucks too. I had one, that dam thing rattles alot and it does sits low and without the bend which also sucks. I'm glad I got the skunk2 shifter now-perfect height and is closer to my hand so I don't have to reach out everytime I shift. I'd just wish I bought the skunk2 in the first place.
which skunk2 did you get the single or double bend? thats the one i want too, but im going to try the double bend made for the integra, those bearings on the skunk shifters are such a better component than bushings imo.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and b&m sucks, they rattle so much you could use it for a vibrator.
haha wtf. yea, short throw doesn't mess up trannys.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:32 PM

Default Re: What short throw to get? (tominos)

and b&m sucks, they rattle so much you could use it for a vibrator.

haha wtf. yea, short throw doesn't mess up trannys.
errrr, uhhhh, i meannn,,,, not me but someone with a **** ya know
Old 01-18-2003, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the mechanic might have said that b/c he didnt want to replace the tranny under warranty. i dont know your particular situation but if the dealer doesnt install aftermarket mods waranty is ussally void. and somehow ive had a short shifter on my car for about 20K on a tranny w/ 130k and it still runs like a ****** champ, and i drive my car very hard sometimes.

im sorry for snapping on you, but some of this **** is really starting to get to me.
the mechanic was a family friend, and we just wanted to know what was wrong with it so me and my friend could fix it ourselves. he said he was sure it was the shifter. the honda dealership said the same thing. the car is a 99 so it wasn't under warrenty. there was no reason for the dealership to lie, and i know the mechanic didn't lie. like i said man, im glad you have had good experiences with short throw shifters. just chill a little bit, don't let horror stories of shifters make you mad. just because your **** works, that doesn't mean everyone else's will.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:13 PM

well i have a c's. and i love it. Short throws can mess you synchro's, but only if the throw is like less than 2''. which means your thing is always pressuring your synchro's. DONT REST YOUR HAND ON THE SHIFTER. that will kill em too..
Old 01-18-2003, 09:44 PM

Default Re: What short throw to get? (2k1_ITR_0736)

well i have a c's. and i love it. Short throws can mess you synchro's, but only if the throw is like less than 2''. which means your thing is always pressuring your synchro's. DONT REST YOUR HAND ON THE SHIFTER. that will kill em too..
are there any aftermarket shifters that shorten the throw that much? do you have the fully adjustable c's or the weighted one? i would like one, but i cant justify the money now, i figure the skunk is comparable but for alot less $.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:10 PM

c's? it has adjustable throw? cool , hows that work , and does it work well? where can i see these?
Old 01-18-2003, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep that;s the case

which skunk2 did you get the single or double bend? thats the one i want too, but im going to try the double bend made for the integra, those bearings on the skunk shifters are such a better component than bushings imo.
I got the dual bend for my car
Old 01-18-2003, 10:19 PM

Default Re: What short throw to get? (sleeperciv)

if anyone needs the skunk shifters there is a special on best buys about them.... im so exited
Old 01-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a few different ones. DC, OBX, Neuspeed, and B&M. They all seemed the same. If anything the Neuspeed ss was my favorite. That takes a lot to say too, cause I don't like Neuspeed at all. Price wise, OBX was $40. Never had a problem either.

My friend gave me his B&M when he sold his car. I sold it after a few weeks. Drove an Accord with the DC shifter. Didn't really notice anything different. Neuspeed came with my CRX. New in the box. I loved it. I put an OBX one in my EH though. $40 and feels pretty much the same.

I've also heard that Neuspeed has the shortest shifter of them all.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

most durable= C's short throw
Old 01-19-2003, 05:52 AM

Default Re: What short throw to get? (mugen76)

I have a dc shortshifter on my car, and have had it on there for 1 1/2 years now. No problems, no grinding, or anything. I have also put about 40k miles on the car with that shifter on there. I recomend DC or skunk2.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What short throw to get? (black2kcivic)

I have been personally using a JDM ITR piece (same as USDM but in stainless steel). it a stock piece so defiantly you won't run into any issues, and its much shorter.

here is a comparison (by ryanR - hybrids.jp)
R shifter -- EF stock piece -- C's Shifter
Old 01-19-2003, 06:24 AM

Default Re: What short throw to get? (eg6ajk)

Short shifters are bad for syncros yo. Proven fact after time they can have an affect on wearing syncros. But if you must have one go with skunk 2.

Quick Reply: What short throw to get?