Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what rpm vtec is best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what rpm vtec is best?

i just wonderin if you have your vtec set at different rpms when it starts to engage if it will decrease/increase your perfromance with a b16?? i think mine is between 5200 and 5500 ...not sure though? around there though
Old 09-16-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (nemesiskrp)

if ur running a stock setup i wouldnt really switch the engagement point around unless ur going to throw cam gears on the head and actually tune the motor. but if ur just playing around with a vafc and dont know what ur doing then i would leave it at the stock engagement point.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:37 PM

Mine seems to hit vtec at 5800rpm, jdm B16, SIR-2 swap with P30 ecu, I'm gonna leave it alone, it runs great
Old 09-16-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (hondaman1320)

so if you adjusted your vtec down to 5200 if yours is at 5800 like you said.... then their would or wouldnt be a difference in performance???
Old 09-16-2007, 10:49 PM

if any it would be so small of a gain u wouldnt even notice.

alot of times with stock setups when u change the vtec engagement point lower u loose ALOT of torque. i wouldnt mess with it.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:03 PM

Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (cartune network)

I'm sure there would be a difference, although I'm not sure if it would be a good or bad difference, I'm happy with it, and it IS quicker than any of my friends B16 powered civics... It's in a 94 del Sol S
Old 09-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if your motor is stock then just leave it as is...honda set the vtec engagement at that certain RPM for a reason..if ur motor is modified then settin it at a diff. rpm might help but for a stock motor, just leave it
Old 09-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaman1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine seems to hit vtec at 5800rpm, jdm B16, SIR-2 swap with P30 ecu, I'm gonna leave it alone, it runs great</TD></TR></TABLE> P30
Old 09-17-2007, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (hondaman1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaman1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine seems to hit vtec at 5800rpm, jdm B16, SIR-2 swap with P30 ecu, I'm gonna leave it alone, it runs great</TD></TR></TABLE>
i have the exact same swap and u are right ..i leave it alone at 5800rpm and all the way to 7600rpm
and if u adjust your vtec to pop earlier than it was originally set rpm.u are not going to gain any horsepower..and in fact u might not make it quicker...
Old 09-17-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (crazyguy)

if you lower the engagment point you will lose power...the crossover is set where the power bands of both lobes meet so you get a smooth crossover
Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if you adjusted your vtec down to 5200 if yours is at 5800 like you said.... then their would or wouldnt be a difference in performance???</TD></TR></TABLE>

people do this cuz there butt dyno tells them too.

yea lower for slower, and louder crossover.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekb16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your motor is stock then just leave it as is...honda set the vtec engagement at that certain RPM for a reason..if ur motor is modified then settin it at a diff. rpm might help but for a stock motor, just leave it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-17-2007, 07:04 AM

Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (speedooo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you lower the engagment point you will lose power...the crossover is set where the power bands of both lobes meet so you get a smooth crossover</TD></TR></TABLE>
that is what i meant.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by speedooo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you lower the engagment point you will lose power...the crossover is set where the power bands of both lobes meet so you get a smooth crossover</TD></TR></TABLE>

They show this in the repair manual, where the two power curves overlap.
Likewise if you raise it, your probably losing power as well, on a stock engine.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

X500

Leave it stock, where it was made to be.
Butt dyno's lie.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaman1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine seems to hit vtec at 5800rpm, jdm B16, SIR-2 swap with P30 ecu, I'm gonna leave it alone, it runs great</TD></TR></TABLE>

same here cept non swap

it dose make a noticable difference
as long as your not at a dead stop then it shouldnt be below 3.5

hook it up to the horn button so you can enguage it after you get momentom
OR
get a 2step most 2steps run while over 3.5rpm and set the tec up to 4

my question:
why would you set the vtec up higher?

Old 09-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (kayelemenohpee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

people do this cuz there butt dyno tells them too.

yea lower for slower, and louder crossover.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, stock, the optimal VTEC engagement point is deemed by the computer based on a few different sensors (not just RPM, RPM is a factor, but it's based on how hard you're on the gas, too).

Leave it the way Honda set it...that's the best way if you have a stock motor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaman1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sure there would be a difference, although I'm not sure if it would be a good or bad difference, I'm happy with it, and it IS quicker than any of my friends B16 powered civics... It's in a 94 del Sol S</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're trying to say that because you lowered your VTEC engagement point with some hack **** VTEC controller you can beat the 400lb weight gain you have on civics with the same swap, you're just lying.

So if you follow that philosophy that 100lbs = .1 in the QM, you're saying that you gained OVER .3-.4 of a second by lowering your VTEC engagement point from the stock setting?

LoL!

Your *** dyno =/= real dyno.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (crazyguy)

there is more than one point for a smooth cross over, there are many.
its up to you to find those points, for those of you who know your car well it should be no problem finding vtec control settings to work with
and for others who dont know there car as well
you can usually see an improvement at any lower setting as long as you listen to each point for the cross over

less noticable crosses are better performance
DONT GO BY just SOUND
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: (kayelemenohpee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kayelemenohpee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my question:
why would you set the vtec up higher?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

When you're running a bigger cam(s).
Old 09-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (kayelemenohpee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kayelemenohpee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is more than one point for a smooth cross over, there are many.
its up to you to find those points, for those of you who know your car well it should be no problem finding vtec control settings to work with
you can usually see an improvement at any lower setting as long as you listen to each point for the cross over

DONT GO BY just SOUND</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL

No, not at all.

You cannot find the optimal VTEC engagement point, a dyno can. That's why it should be done correctly, on a dyno.

You're 100% ricer if you think you can change it and after 1 or 2 trips up the road "tune" it to be "faster."

Your *** dyno =/= real dyno.

lol "if you know yoru car well" - hahahahha.

If you know your car well than you should know what's best for it and you should know that you need to take it to a dyno for this **** to be done correctly.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:29 AM

stock is best unless you are heavily modded
Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (THEDirtyDseriesWOOT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THEDirtyDseriesWOOT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock is best unless you are heavily modded</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but they're not, lol, they just have like header and an exhaust...

That's what makes this so comical.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 AM

on my s300 stock p30 map the vtec is set @ 4900rpm from hondata and it doesent pull for **** till vtec hits.. so im pretty sure its in the right place .. ill play with it when i go tune her i/h/e
Old 09-17-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what rpm vtec is best? (Syndacate)

YOU cant find an optimal point
my points came out fine

dyno is THE BEST way to go
but a waste for a dialy driver since its rare that i pop vtec
Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM

I never said I messed with my stock engagement point, nobody is lying, 5800rpm is what mine is at!!?? And MY car is not 400 lbs heavier than a civic...

Modified by hondaman1320 at 3:37 PM 9/17/2007

Modified by hondaman1320 at 3:40 PM 9/17/2007
Old 09-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kayelemenohpee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is more than one point for a smooth cross over, there are many.

DONT GO BY just SOUND</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure where you are going with this...
No there is only one optimal place for vtec.

Quick Reply: what rpm vtec is best?