Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What to replace rear fenderwell trim with?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to replace rear fenderwell trim with?

What can I replace the rubber strip with so I won't get chips on my wheel well? I know that many people just throw them away but sand in the winter near my area can cause problems. I was thinking of just taking it off washing it twice a month and waiting for it to dry and re installing it. But if there are any other better ideas. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: What to replace inner fender with?

What car?

It's called the inner fender (title edited):

Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bk7794, are you talking about the ~1/2" strip that goes over the edge of the sheet metal? The strip holds moisture and is at least partially to blame for rust starting and was supposed to be removed at the dealership. Keeping the plastic inner fender to protect the metal and possibly spraying undercoating would probably be the best solution.

Otherwise over time you're probably going to scratch the paint up on the edge from removing and replacing the rubber piece I think you're talking about. Once it's scratched and moisture stays there, bye bye metal.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
What car?

It's called the inner fender (title edited):

It would be the protector. The Inner fender is like you posted and if that was removed I am sure it would rust like there is no tomorrow. Plus this goes on the back.
Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
bk7794, are you talking about the ~1/2" strip that goes over the edge of the sheet metal? The strip holds moisture and is at least partially to blame for rust starting and was supposed to be removed at the dealership. Keeping the plastic inner fender to protect the metal and possibly spraying undercoating would probably be the best solution.

Otherwise over time you're probably going to scratch the paint up on the edge from removing and replacing the rubber piece I think you're talking about. Once it's scratched and moisture stays there, bye bye metal.
Yes that is what I am talking about. I heard that if you remove it then you must keep a watch for chipping then you will get rust on the fender wells anyways. I heard that you can also caulk it or replace it with a small piece of rubber stripping. Do you think that would work?

This is all part of a research phase I am doing for the 96-00 civic. I don't own the car yet and I want to get a quick jump on the rust prevention so I don't end up like me EF civic.

It is either this or replacing head gaskets on the 01-05.

This is off of a prelude but I am talking about the same thing. It is number 8
Old 01-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: What to replace rear fenderwall trim with?

To avoid confusion, providing detailed descriptions or, even better, pictures is usually best for this type of thread. And you never mentioned it was the rear wheel well.

It's called the rear fenderwell trim. Title re-edited.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
The strip holds moisture and is at least partially to blame for rust starting and was supposed to be removed at the dealership.
They do hold moisture but they weren't something that was supposed to be removed at the dealership. The idea was the strip keeps the paint from getting rock chipped and rusting. Personally I'd remove the strip, fill it full of an oil based undercoating and put it back on.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
They do hold moisture but they weren't something that was supposed to be removed at the dealership. The idea was the strip keeps the paint from getting rock chipped and rusting. Personally I'd remove the strip, fill it full of an oil based undercoating and put it back on.
Okay, thats what I was thinking of doing. Where should I put the oil based undercoating on though? Like all around it?
Old 01-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by bk7794
Where should I put the oil based undercoating on though? Like all around it?
Directly in the channel in the strip, reinstall and wipe off the excess with a rag.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Directly in the channel in the strip, reinstall and wipe off the excess with a rag.
would motor oil work aswell? And can I still take it out to wash it every once in a while?

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
To avoid confusion, providing detailed descriptions or, even better, pictures is usually best for this type of thread. And you never mentioned it was the rear wheel well.

It's called the rear fenderwell trim. Title re-edited.

Yeah that was my fault..thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Seagull Management

would motor oil work aswell?
Not well, it's kind of thin and washes off easily. You want something a bit thicker, almost waxy. I'm not sure what type of commercial products are available where you live. In Canada we tend to use Rust Check or Krown.

And can I still take it out to wash it every once in a while?
I wouldn't, those strips don't stay on very well once they've been removed more than a couple of times.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not well, it's kind of thin and washes off easily. You want something a bit thicker, almost waxy. I'm not sure what type of commercial products are available where you live. In Canada we tend to use Rust Check or Krown.

I wouldn't, those strips don't stay on very well once they've been removed more than a couple of times.
I fear to use some of those products because I fear that I will lock moisture in...and if I do it wrong I may not be able to fix the rust..

And Damn..I guess I could always use a different kind of rubber to stop rocks from getting thrown up there. Maybe like a rubber piece that just goes on the bottom? Or heck even painters tape, or masking tape...it will come off in the rain but just reinstall it...or electrical tape or something.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Seagull Management

I fear to use some of those products because I fear that I will lock moisture in...and if I do it wrong I may not be able to fix the rust..
Make sure the metal lip the rubber strip goes over is clean and dry before you reinstall the strip full of undercoating. As long as there's lots of undercoating you shouldn't have any moisture, or problems. That's basically what undercoating does, it protects the metal surface from moisture and oxygen.

And Damn..I guess I could always use a different kind of rubber to stop rocks from getting thrown up there. Maybe like a rubber piece that just goes on the bottom? Or heck even painters tape, or masking tape...it will come off in the rain but just reinstall it...or electrical tape or something.
Tape wont help anything. it's just going to look bad and fall off.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure the metal lip the rubber strip goes over is clean and dry before you reinstall the strip full of undercoating. As long as there's lots of undercoating you shouldn't have any moisture, or problems. That's basically what undercoating does, it protects the metal surface from moisture and oxygen.

Tape wont help anything. it's just going to look bad and fall off.
Okay let me just clarify, the rust starts becasue the rubber is holding moisture and other debris in right? And the wax type undercoating will keep it sealed up. Is this all correct?

Thanks for responding and all your help.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:20 AM
Seagull Management

Okay let me just clarify, the rust starts becasue the rubber is holding moisture and other debris in right? And the wax type undercoating will keep it sealed up. Is this all correct?
That is correct, where I live that happens to be road salt. It lays on that rear shelf the lip creates and then gets in under the strip. If you fill the strip with undercoating and spray the inside of the wheel well with undercoating though you should be ok. It's also a good idea to remove the interior in the trunk/hatch area and spray undercoating in there as well to coat the inside of the sheet metal, inside doors etc.

Thanks for responding and all your help.
You're welcome
Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is correct, where I live that happens to be road salt. It lays on that rear shelf the lip creates and then gets in under the strip. If you fill the strip with undercoating and spray the inside of the wheel well with undercoating though you should be ok. It's also a good idea to remove the interior in the trunk/hatch area and spray undercoating in there as well to coat the inside of the sheet metal, inside doors etc.

You're welcome
excellent really looking forward to working with this car. This will help it look its best.

Thanks a lot!