Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What is the point of the bumper that has holes across the back of it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the point of the bumper that has holes across the back of it?

This has to be a stupid question but I haven't been able to figure out if it has a purpose or not. Attached is a picture that I found in some post, I apologize if this person is offended and I will take it down immediately. But can someone fill me in?

Old 06-15-2005, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

diffuzer.. lets under car drag escape, and yes they work...
I got the same one you got but powder coated it flat black on my black coupe. Now it looks better...
Old 06-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PK SPEED)

There are better alternatives to diffusers, a company makes an undersheild for eg's so block air from being trapped underneath, this greatly imporves aerodynamics at higher speeds. but pointless on a street car since you cant legally drive at the speeds where its beneficial.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the point of the bumper that has holes across the back of it? (SL!M)

Wind reduction. Your bumper basically acts like a parachute ,so those hole basically lets out the trapped air...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SL!M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This has to be a stupid question but I haven't been able to figure out if it has a purpose or not. Attached is a picture that I found in some post, I apologize if this person is offended and I will take it down immediately. But can someone fill me in?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 06-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the point of the bumper that has holes across the back of it? (SL!M)

damn that muffler looks huge
Old 06-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Yeah you can sheet metal the underside also if wanted.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:16 PM

alot of the supra guys that track their cars and alot of the FD guys buy what is called an under diffuser. it goes underneath the car in the front, the rear, or under the whole car to smooth the air flow underneath the car for better down force.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGRacersInc)

Yes, and if you properly design a venturi, you can create less drag, and more downforce at the same time. Does anyone know why?
Dan
Old 06-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (rawkus)

Just take off your back bumper at the track.

I hate seeing those things on cars that are 20 mins track cars, just so they could look fast
Old 06-15-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: (Luserkid)

ive seen people that just cut out a large section of the rear bumper does it really help that much? any times to prove it?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive seen people that just cut out a large section of the rear bumper does it really help that much? any times to prove it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I don't have numbers, but these make a lot of sense. Two problems with a regular bumper setup. At high speeds, in front of the bumper (towards the front of the car) you can create a high pressure zone, in a place you don't want it. You create Drag and Lift because of this. This would slow the car down and make it unstable at higher speeds. Now with holes in the bumper you decrease the high pressure zone, which is good when it is under the car, decreasing drag and lift. The other bitching thing is, there is a low pressure zone directly behind your car at high speeds too. This creates drag, even though the air is all past body of the car. If you put holes int he bumper you take that high pressure zone you once had, and move air into that low pressure zone that was behind your car, lessing that low pressure zone and making less drag. Holes in bumpers are neat, but in these cases, ugly.
Dan
Old 06-15-2005, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not jsut remove your bumper?
Old 06-16-2005, 04:44 PM

Default Re: (stock93cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock93cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not jsut remove your bumper? </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just take off your back bumper at the track.

I hate seeing those things on cars that are 20 mins track cars, just so they could look fast </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Will you make something up for me please?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PK SPEED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">diffuzer.. lets under car drag escape, and yes they work...
I got the same one you got but powder coated it flat black on my black coupe. Now it looks better...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless you're making very high numbers, the difference between having one and not having one is negligible.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stock93cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not jsut remove your bumper? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Still creates some drag. Air won't flow smoothly past that jagged mess.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shamoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Still creates some drag. Air won't flow smoothly past that jagged mess. </TD></TR></TABLE>
But not as much air will flow thru those small holes...

this is how I would (and will) do it.

Dan
Old 06-19-2005, 09:49 PM

Here is a shot of mine, had to go snap a shot of how I powder coated it flat black.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albu...2.jpg
Old 06-19-2005, 10:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PK SPEED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here is a shot of mine, had to go snap a shot of how I powder coated it flat black.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albu...2.jpg</TD></TR></TABLE>

what are those pea shooter things you have sticken out of your trunk to the right of your plate?
Old 06-19-2005, 11:57 PM

and what is that thing that is coming out of your bumper on the right above the muffler???

Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: (eg4usdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg4usdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and what is that thing that is coming out of your bumper on the right above the muffler???

</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is for missile attacks when theres a bogie on his tail
Old 06-20-2005, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wont less drag also equal better gas mileage? Maybe not by much but those of you with tight asses then Im pretty sure every little bit count
Old 06-20-2005, 01:19 AM

i think cx or vx or some hatch ive never had use an oem diffuser. so ive heard.
but id rather pay for this eventho its $$ than ever cuttin holes in my bumper

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">carbon fiber diffusers allow the re-direction of air flow over, under or around the vehicle. this gives the driver the option of either creating more drag to keep the wheels (front or rear) planted on the ground or reducing drag to maintain good air velocities around the vehicle at high speed driving. the ability to "fine-tune" this air flow is a small but still significant way to increase the overall performance and look of the vehicle.</TD></TR></TABLE>
http://www.importfan.com/index...=1481
im sure if you really wanted 1 you could find it in fiberglass or aluminum
Old 06-20-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: What is the point of the bumper that has holes across the back of it? (92CiVicSI79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92CiVicSI79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wind reduction. Your bumper basically acts like a parachute ,so those hole basically lets out the trapped air... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. Air gets trapped in the bumper and can create drag. Holes in your bumper are not diffusers! I'm sick of hearing people say that.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:05 AM
H.crx-si

Default Re: (eg4usdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg4usdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and what is that thing that is coming out of your bumper on the right above the muffler???

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Probably a kill switch
Old 06-20-2005, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (shamoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shamoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Unless you're making very high numbers, the difference between having one and not having one is negligible.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Money's better spent elsewhere. Look at all out racecars. Not too many of them use these sweet holes in the rear bumpers.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:22 AM

yes because it is not needed. the difference is something you will not notice very easily. now with a TRUE diffuser that goes underneath the car you will notice a difference.

holes in the bumpe are not called diffusers. a diffuser goes underneath the car either in the front, the rear, or underneath the whole car

Quick Reply: What is the point of the bumper that has holes across the back of it?