Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what performance parts should i get for my ls motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what performance parts should i get for my ls motor?

i have an 94 hatch w/ ls motor but i dont know what performance should i buy for my ls, because im making it boosted and more performance parts also, what else performance parts should i buy?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what performance parts should i get for my ls motor?

clutch flywheel... if you go boosted change your whole fuel system including fuel pump!!!! get msd set up and your intake manifold also... i would recommend changing headers but theres no point since your going boost
Old 04-16-2010, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

better trans. everything else should be covered if you go boost
Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 300whpej
better trans. everything else should be covered if you go boost
X2.

Just make sure you have a good exhaust. Boost plus stock exhaust piping=Bad.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Exhaust - light weight, you can get a catback or get a shop to do a 3 in strait with a decent muffler.

Trans - Ged a differential, everything from a gsr or si trans is interchangeable.

Intake - lots of good intakes, big open mouth throttle bodies with a good flowing intake.

Turbo - for the turbo, your going to need a different tune on your ecu, bigger injectors, and invest in a good set of cv axels especially if you get a peformace clutch that likes to ******.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

or you can put LSD into your LS tranny.. from research ive done... gsr or si (b16) trannys have shorter gears than the LS and for boost it would be great to have those long gears for that greattttt wideband stretch
Old 04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hit up ebay, buy a used JR supercharger for $800. HP and TQ will be way up giving reliable power
Old 04-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by burnykawizzle
or you can put LSD into your LS tranny.. from research ive done... gsr or si (b16) trannys have shorter gears than the LS and for boost it would be great to have those long gears for that greattttt wideband stretch
yup i agree on the trans ls gears are the best for boost
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup... ive done wayyyy to much research and from the looks of it i can at least be completely right about parts but not so certain about certain things... you can get a LSD for your LS tranny and it would be better than any si or gsr tranny since it will be LSD like these transmission but the gears would be longer and better for that boost stretch
Old 04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my post was pretty simple, get a Diff. not an si or gsr trans, but the diff out of one.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how about skunk2 performance part, now are they good parts as well?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is it a good idea to have the block clean and smooth, resurface the block?
any comment.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things you can do that are actually worth the money (haven't seen a lot (if any) mentioned here thus far) - there's trade-offs to all:
- Throw on a B16(A2/A3), CTR, GSR, or ITR trans on - any of the above has shorter gearing with or without a limited slip differential (LSD). That will help you in terms of acceleration. Only get an LSD if you A) autoX, B) Drag race, or C) Are going to boost and will have trouble putting the power to the ground - if your tires aren't barely on edge, it's completely useless. If you're only doing it for more power in a daily driver with an occasional street race here and there, I'd say screw it. It's not worth all the extra cash if you're not really going to stress breaking that inside tire loose.
- Put a B16 or GSR head on it - go LS/VTEC. That's pretty much the only worth while all motor performance enhancement you should legitimately do to your motor. Do that with a nice GSR or Si trans swap and you'll have a nice, quick, all motor power setup. Doesn't cost a hell of a lot, either.
- Make sure you have I/H/E - if they'll give a little bit of power - if you have them, then the next step is a performance intake manifold (although the B16 mani outperforms half of the aftermarket IM's) and a ported (or larger) throttle body to match it - going either/or isn't really useful, you need to go both. Either way, these simple bolt on's, in total, won't net you a lot of power.
- Obviously, boost. That's how to extract the most amount of power possible out of an engine, especially a 4 cylinder engine. MOST N/A bolt-ons are pretty negligible on a stock LS motor, but boost sets the record straight. If you have trouble launching or do autoX then you might want to look into an LSD, though at ~200whp you shouldn't have problems putting the power down, a regular diff would be fine with practice.

Realistically it depends on your budget. High budget, go boost, or LS/VTEC, LS/VTEC requires more knowledge of the system, though, IMO, either way you have to get it tuned right or you can easily be looking at a busted motor. If you're only looking for a slight pick-me up that may not even show up on any dyno except your *** dyno? Get some bolt-ons, I/H/E, IM, TB, and if you want some quicker accel, definitely get a shorter trans. If you have only a couple of hundred I'd say go for the trans.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by LSbeast10
how about skunk2 performance part, now are they good parts as well?
They are great parts, but.....consider my earlier post!

So you go out and spend $800 on a Skunk Intake manifold and a set of cams and make 20hp......or spend $80 on a super charger and make 60hp and 45ft lbs torque.

See where i am going with this?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deetz
They are great parts, but.....consider my earlier post!

So you go out and spend $800 on a Skunk Intake manifold and a set of cams and make 20hp......or spend $80 on a super charger and make 60hp and 45ft lbs torque.

See where i am going with this?
I see where you're going, and he wouldn't even make 20hp realistically. Maybe if it was tuned but let's be honest, 90% of the people that put an IM and/or cams on their car don't tune it worth of ****, they either put a crappy "run rich" ebay chip, or do nothing at all.

Probably be looking at 5-10 at the wheels...maybe...? Still a bit low for a super charger, you should be able to get a higher lb pulley on there and make a bit more. Though they also generally cost less..
Old 04-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

800 for a supercharger??? umm no theres a supercharger right now on ebay i saw it was night and the bid was at 1100 so far!!! but its jackson racing.... that guy only has to think about WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET? 600,1000,3000???? FOR FOR 600 JUST GO BOOST and put out 6psi so your engine will be fine until it gets tuned... for 1000 if you do the work yourself go lsvtec and buy some cams to go along with me... for 3000 go lsvtec,supercharged,hondata with some bolt on's and youll be great
Old 04-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

800 for a supercharger??? umm no theres a supercharger right now on ebay
You certainly suck at searching

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/jacks...item2306848706

There are "always deals" on ebay, of not week, then wait a week or two. This auction is current at $660 and one day to go.

It's great bang for the buck. I don't know why i am able to pull stuff like this in seconds, when other people can't find it at all
Old 04-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tranny
V-tec head
turbo

then have fun
Old 04-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you suck at reading!!!! the current bid is at 660 thats not the final selling price.. if you look at another one the buy it now is at 1100 for a gsr.. if he wants to go ls vtec hes gonna need the 1100 dollar charger.... yeah 1 day to go and everyone always waits for the last minute to go crazy bidding you can see the bid jump to 900 in just a few minutes of bidding.... and by the way parts on ebay aren't always on ebay which seems like the only thing that you do know about ebay... i know about ebay im a ebay seller so you can't tell me that i dont know how to use ebay
Old 04-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

you suck at reading!!!! the current bid is at 660 thats not the final selling price.. if you look at another one the buy it now is at 1100 for a gsr.. if he wants to go ls vtec hes gonna need the 1100 dollar charger..ay
My point of the post was to show they don't cost that much!! That auction even has an ecu, it'll probably end up about $1000. But you missed my point completely. My point was, you can make good hp for cheap! Superchargers are very user friendly and way way less trouble than a turbo setup. In fact, thats why JR would offer a 100,000 mile warranty, good luch finding a turbo kit with that promise, lol

Don't go spouting off about a vtec head swap...waste! Why would you bother? Your running boost with a major gain in power already.....not point to change it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Swapping vtec heads on B18 non vtec engines are way over rated imo. Yeah, you gain like 50-60hp and 10 ft lbs torque.....that's jack for torque. A JR supercharged stock LS would eat an LSvtec for lunch. I hope you are taking notes
Old 04-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ride a single cam and build the motor you want. that way your not constantly working on your dialy driver.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like to work on my car myself and turbo's + ls vtec are completely overly over rated that is true... finally we can agree on something lol but he wants vtec and boost... so why not tell him what he wants to hear... me myself if i had 1000 to spend on something for my engine i would get a supercharger due to the fact that its less maintance then a turbo kit and you get constant power unlike turbo it has no turbo power in the lower rpm's
Old 04-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude i know a guy that works at skunk2 personally, pro1 cams are known to make 75 to 100hp on a stock block and you can get in good with those guys and get parts cheaper then distributer and you dont wanna go to ebay for parts on engine builds trust me i would know, go with skunk2's full vt and cams and your gonna make alot of power with a great tune
Old 04-19-2010, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xero_xero
ride a single cam and build the motor you want. that way your not constantly working on your dialy driver.
and that would be the smartest way to go, you always need a car on stand by

Quick Reply: what performance parts should i get for my ls motor?