Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What parts to replace with a bad clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts to replace with a bad clutch?

My clutch is going bad. I was wondering if i have to replace the flywheel and pressure plate as well. It's a stock d16z6. 95k.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:40 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (CRISIS)

You don't have to replace the flywheel, but while you have the transmission off, you should get it resurfaced. Autozone will do it in about an hour for around $20-25.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you HAVE to replace the pressure plate. Just remember though, that if you start having problems with it, then you have to tear everything apart again to replace it, and the transmission is not exactly the quickest thing to get to. I'd replace it while you have it apart.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you throw a fresh throwout bearing, and maybe get some new fluid to bleed he clutch lines
Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

Cool. I am currently trying to pick up a new OEM clutch, new OEM flywheel, and new OEM pressure plate for 200. Sounds like a good deal? And i will get a new throwout bearing for free. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (Vindicator9000)

autozone can really resurface a flywheel??
Old 07-23-2006, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (byronl)

if you're doing it replace all common items at one time it saves trouble in the long run

pressure plate
clutch disk
throwout bearing
pilot bushing
resurface the flywheel

good luck
Old 07-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vindicator9000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't have to replace the flywheel, but while you have the transmission off, you should get it resurfaced. Autozone will do it in about an hour for around $20-25.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you HAVE to replace the pressure plate. Just remember though, that if you start having problems with it, then you have to tear everything apart again to replace it, and the transmission is not exactly the quickest thing to get to. I'd replace it while you have it apart.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, I didn't know autozone did that.... word up

Buy an aftermarket performance or OEM clutch kit, it'll come with the pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing, sounds like ur probably going regular like it's ur daily driver or something, so just go with a Honda OEM clutch, but if u wanna get a lil more grab get like an exedy, clutchmasters, or ACT stage 1 clutch...won't cost much more, but even on a stock engine I prefer them over stock clutches...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by built562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you're doing it replace all common items at one time it saves trouble in the long run

pressure plate
clutch disk
throwout bearing
pilot bushing
resurface the flywheel

good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, the pilot bearing usually isn't replaced with the rest of the clutch setup...just usally replaced when it dies...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRISIS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool. I am currently trying to pick up a new OEM clutch, new OEM flywheel, and new OEM pressure plate for 200. Sounds like a good deal? And i will get a new throwout bearing for free. Thanks for the advice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good deal & have fun getting it in...or not getting screwed on labor (seriously..I'm not bein an ***)

Old 07-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did my first ever clutch install on my b16 a month ago and to tell you the truth, it wasn't really that hard. I did the job 100% by myself without a trans jack, so if you can't find a freind to help you line it up, no worries...here is what I did.

I have a craftsman aluminum jack and I placed the transmission on the jack pad so that it would be lined up when raised. Then take one of those yellow ratchet typed hold downs and strap it to the jack arm so that the front end of the trans stays put and so the weight of the unsupported trans doesn't cause it to fall off. As long as the hold down stays (check it every once and a while) then you should be able to maneuver the jack into place by yourself.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:27 PM

get a clutch kit, lightweight flywheel combo. i think its the best way to go. you might as well do it right once you take the time to rip your tranny out
Old 07-23-2006, 12:52 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, I didn't know autozone did that.... word up</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just got to thinking about it and realized that I had it done at O'Reiley's. I'm not sure if Autozone does it or not, but they probably do flywheels if they turn brake rotors.

Sorry for the bad info.
Old 07-23-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

don't forget to change out the rear main seal while you're at it. only 10 bucks.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

Modified by CardDealer at 9:33 AM 11/16/2006
Old 07-23-2006, 02:04 PM

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (schlit)

Everyone, That I have talked to about clutches/flywheels highly recomends getting the flywheel resurfaced.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would get and exedy stage 1 w/ a lighter flywheel....
Old 07-23-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: (EKEJ6)

Awesome. Thanks for all the replies. This is my first manual car so i was told i needed to replace the clutch soon. Still learning how to drive it. Haven't stalled once and i've had it since last night! I really don't know my way around a manual transmission so i will most likely have my buddy help me with it. He works in a shop so it'll cost me but at least i won't get raped on the price. It is just a daily driver. I might throw a homemade turbo kit on later but that won't be for a while. Again, thanks for the replies!
Old 07-23-2006, 07:15 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (LSEGHATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSEGHATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did my first ever clutch install on my b16 a month ago and to tell you the truth, it wasn't really that hard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it's not that hard, just time consuming. The hardest part is getting the axle nuts off.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the hardest part will be getting the spline to line back up
Old 07-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (UNKNOWN_MEMBER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vindicator9000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, it's not that hard, just time consuming. The hardest part is getting the axle nuts off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just replaced my clutch on my EJ, took the axle nuts off with a roll cage bar. . my buddy just got one and it wasnt welded into his car yet. so i put my 32mm on the nut, put on my half inch socket (big beefy one) and threw a 5' or so breaker bar on there (roll cage) aha h came right off. . get some penetrating catalyst. . should come right off. . then its only an hour until that clutch is in. . good luck

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UNKNOWN_MEMBER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the hardest part will be getting the spline to line back up</TD></TR></TABLE>

with my act. i got a little tool . .
Old 07-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (IWantATurbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IWantATurbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i just replaced my clutch on my EJ, took the axle nuts off with a roll cage bar. . my buddy just got one and it wasnt welded into his car yet. so i put my 32mm on the nut, put on my half inch socket (big beefy one) and threw a 5' or so breaker bar on there (roll cage) aha h came right off. . get some penetrating catalyst. . should come right off. . then its only an hour until that clutch is in. . good luck

with my act. i got a little tool . . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Who the expletive buys a roll cage and doesnt put it in the damn car and uses it for a breaker bar??? Oh right, thats me

If i were you, OP, i would get the act hdss plate and organic street disc kit. I've dealt with oem, act, and exedy and i recommend the act over the other 2. The act was a little cheaper then oem and still is holding up better then the exedy (which has tossed 2 throw out bearings)

When the tranny is down, several things to look at. Rear main seal and see if its cracked or leaking, check axles for torn or lost cv boots, check lower ball joints since you have to remove them to get to the axles for play, and replace the tranny fluid with Honda Transmission Fluid (d-series get 3 qts to be safe), fully gravity bleed the clutch line (its brake fluid you replace it with) therefore it has all new fluid. Check the slave cylinder and make sure no cracks or leaks. Replace if broken, from honda is like 150.00 or something like that.

As far a the flywheel, If you choose to pull it, check it for deep groves and resurface if needed. Not alway the case. A lighter flywheel will runn about 200.00 or so. But makes a world of difference goin from 18 to 12 or 7lbs.

Also, inspect the shiftlinkage bushing since that needs to be dropped.

Good luck
Old 07-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What parts to replace with a bad clutch? (IWantATurbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IWantATurbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

with my act. i got a little tool . . </TD></TR></TABLE> thats to align your clutch and flywheel so the shaft can fit to the pilot bearing. that's not to line up the splines from the tranny to clutch.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:56 AM

i picked up an exedy stage 1 clutch kit for $65 usd on ebay. came to $95 usd (to canada)
way cheaper then $250 in stores.
came with clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing/pilot bearing/alignment tool. was a great deal imo.