Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What are my chances of Skunk2 SOHC Cam not working in Z6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my chances of Skunk2 SOHC Cam not working in Z6?

I'm lookin to buy a Skunk2 Stage 1 cam...but I heard about what happened to Blackeg...so I don't wanna buy a cam(possibly his) and have it not work. Money is tight right now...and I don't wanna have it not work. I'd be installing this in my D16z6. Anyone on here with a Skunk2 cam in a D16z6 and have it without modifications? From what Blackeg said...it happens in some heads and not others. Any way to tell which heads these are? Need helpful insite please.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: What are my chances of Skunk2 SOHC Cam not working in Z6? (H23 EG Hybrid)

What exactly happened to Blackeg's car?

From what i know, is that a non VTEC cam wont work on a VTEC head, same as a VTEC cam wont work on a Non VTEC head. So if you make sure the cam goes to the head then you should be fine, provided you put everything back to the correct specs and everything. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, without a link to what happened to him (we don't all read every post) no real way to tell.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92b16vx)

Sorry about that...here is the link

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=744244
Old 05-12-2004, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H23 EG Hybrid)

just cuz his messed up doesnt mean yours will
Old 05-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if you read it and the link in the other post...it says that Skunk2 claims that there have been other people with the same problem. So I wanna make sure that mine isn't one of those kinds of cases.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (H23 EG Hybrid)

TTT
Old 05-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump

C'mon...anyone have any insite on this issue?...
Old 05-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What are my chances of Skunk2 SOHC Cam not working in Z6? (H23 EG Hybrid)

why waste your money on that cam? Isn't it still like $600? Just buy a zex stage 2 or crower stage 2 for around $250-350. I believe they are more agressive than the skunk2 stage 1 also.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are my chances of Skunk2 SOHC Cam not working in Z6? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why waste your money on that cam? Isn't it still like $600? Just buy a zex stage 2 or crower stage 2 for around $250-350. I believe they are more agressive than the skunk2 stage 1 also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Skunk2 Stage 1 is a lot more agressive than a ZEX cam. Though I might go with the 59300 cause it works with NA and FI. I know where to get the cam cheaper than 500...so I wanna make it worth my money.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: What are my chances of Skunk2 SOHC Cam not working in Z6? (SOHC_MShue)

whats up guys. yes i had fittment problems with this cam. when i called skunk2, i talked to chris in the tech department and he told me that i was like the second person to have this happen. he also told me that on the sheet that comes with the cam it says that mild headwork might be needed.( grind down the relief of the oil journals) i know some very aggressive cams need to have the head worked a lil, but i was not expecting it with this cam. the head it didnt fit into i bought off ebay, in attempts to save myself downtime. stupid mistake. it also turns out that this cam fits perfectly fine in the head thats sitting in my basement, which i had taken off when the new machined head was put on. so its like it fits fine in one head, and not in the other one. it just happens that the one it dont fit is i spent a few hundred on for machinework . its because of this that i feel kinda wierd about selling it, cause i dont want it to happen to anyone else. i personally feel that its just a casting problem with the specific head on my car now, which is what numerous people have told me. i called skunk a few times and talked to diff people, and they would not refund my money, which puts me in a fucked situation, cause the cam cost me over 400 dollars, and i never even used it.( **** i even dumped 270 on the valvesprings too). it should also be noted that other people have run this cam and not had any problems (daniel had one and sold it to axhandler, and no reported problems from either of them).
Old 05-14-2004, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are my chances of Skunk2 SOHC Cam not working in Z6? (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats up guys. yes i had fittment problems with this cam. when i called skunk2, i talked to chris in the tech department and he told me that i was like the second person to have this happen. he also told me that on the sheet that comes with the cam it says that mild headwork might be needed.( grind down the relief of the oil journals) i know some very aggressive cams need to have the head worked a lil, but i was not expecting it with this cam. the head it didnt fit into i bought off ebay, in attempts to save myself downtime. stupid mistake. it also turns out that this cam fits perfectly fine in the head thats sitting in my basement, which i had taken off when the new machined head was put on. so its like it fits fine in one head, and not in the other one. it just happens that the one it dont fit is i spent a few hundred on for machinework . its because of this that i feel kinda wierd about selling it, cause i dont want it to happen to anyone else. i personally feel that its just a casting problem with the specific head on my car now, which is what numerous people have told me. i called skunk a few times and talked to diff people, and they would not refund my money, which puts me in a fucked situation, cause the cam cost me over 400 dollars, and i never even used it.( **** i even dumped 270 on the valvesprings too). it should also be noted that other people have run this cam and not had any problems (daniel had one and sold it to axhandler, and no reported problems from either of them). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Daniel and Axhandler both are running D16y8's...if it makes any difference...if so I'm guessing that the casting is more open in those heads. I'm lookin for anyone else who is running a skunk2 cam in a D16z6 basically so I can see if it's just z6's in particular that have the problem and how often this problem happens. Like you...I don't have the money to do a trial and error...and I can see your dillema. I have almost enough to buy the cam...but then I don't wanna have the same thing happen to me as you and not be able to use it. It's either buy the cam or finish off the turbo setup. I would like to try to get more money together and just have the shop p&p and do any necessary head work to make the cam fit...but I don't think I can come up with $1,000 in time if you're still goin to put it up for auction on ebay. If it comes down to it...I may just bite the bullet and buy it and hope it works...if not...either wait or sell it off.

Still would like to find out if anyone else is running this cam in a z6 head. Pics would be an added bonus too if possible...that way I can see what the clearance is like. If it comes down to it...I'll measure the inside of my head and see if the specs are the same...just to make sure.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt