Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what to lube when doing clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to lube when doing clutch

Well im going to try to tackle the clutch on mine own tomorrow(i have no previous experience ) so it should be interesting but i did search and found a BUNCH of threads to walk me though the process and such. I am also picking the Chilton manual up after work while im out getting clutch fluid but i was wondering do i need any type of grease and what should i apply it to? The threads i looked at didn't go that into depth about that so im curious any help would be appreciated for this first timer!!

Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: what to lube when doing clutch (Slow_CvC99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_CvC99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well im going to try to tackle the clutch on mine own tomorrow(i have no previous experience ) so it should be interesting but i did search and found a BUNCH of threads to walk me though the process and such. I am also picking the Chilton manual up after work while im out getting clutch fluid but i was wondering do i need any type of grease and what should i apply it to? The threads i looked at didn't go that into depth about that so im curious any help would be appreciated for this first timer!!

Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

LIGHTLY grease the smooth section of the input shaft where the throw out bearing sits, the splines on the input shaft where it slides into the clutch, the pivot point on the release fork, and the two ends of the fork that contact the throw out bearing. Remember, DO NOT pile on the grease. LIGHT.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: what to lube when doing clutch (Hybrid93Eg)

dont forget the nose of the input shaft.

to summarize grease the entire input shaft, the pivot ball, the ends of the shift fork where the TOB sits, and the slave cylinder nose.
dont forget to use a high temp grease.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so high temp grease is the stuff i should pick up.... also how long did it take you do install a clutch your first time with another person(my bud has no experience either)
Old 04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mobil 1 makes a great high temp synthetic grease. autozone sells it.

and first time? plan for a weekend. **** comes up, you get confused, etc. took me a solid day my first time. last time i did one on a honda it took a hair under 2 hours.

oh yea, dont forget to take the starter off.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright i was thinking about 4 hours to do...i have all air tools and all to make it as easy as possible...any other tips you have?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_CvC99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright i was thinking about 4 hours to do...i have all air tools and all to make it as easy as possible...any other tips you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

But remember the 3x rule... it'll take you that much longer than you thought - especially if it's your first time. Set aside the whole weekend.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to lube when doing clutch (EX_AutoXer)

i hope it doesnt i have to be some place at 5 and we are starting at 9 am. i shouldnt say NO experiance my friend dropped his dads jeep trany last weekend and also did a clutch on 2 probes about a year ago but he had his dad with him to help so we are on our own this time!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: what to lube when doing clutch (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_CvC99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright i was thinking about 4 hours to do...i have all air tools and all to make it as easy as possible...any other tips you have?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are doing this in your driveway, having air tools and a friend only means it will go a little quicker than if you only had hand tools and yourself.

My friend and I did 2 clutch changes in as many weeks. The first time I had to leave before we finished, which was around 4:30. (we started at 6:30) The second time we started a half hour later and finished around 3 ish. But the machine shop was a lot faster the second time with the flywheel. And this was not his first time, it was mine. (but I've watched him do them before)

Now if you have a lift and a tranny jack, it will go even faster. But still, set aside the whole weekend for this.

Edit: You guys should start as soon as the sun comes up, or maybe even before. 9 am is WAY too late.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: what to lube when doing clutch (SOHC4life 96)

I can do a clutch on one of these Hondas in about 2 hours with no lift or tranny jack. They aren't that hard at all. Experience is key.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you are doing this in your driveway, having air tools and a friend only means it will go a little quicker than if you only had hand tools and yourself.

My friend and I did 2 clutch changes in as many weeks. The first time I had to leave before we finished, which was around 4:30. (we started at 6:30) The second time we started a half hour later and finished around 3 ish. But the machine shop was a lot faster the second time with the flywheel. And this was not his first time, it was mine. (but I've watched him do them before)

Now if you have a lift and a tranny jack, it will go even faster. But still, set aside the whole weekend for this.

Edit: You guys should start as soon as the sun comes up, or maybe even before. 9 am is WAY too late.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bought a new flywheel so no need to wait for turn around
Old 04-26-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're in illinois? let me know if you run in to problems or need a hand... more than happy to help.