Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what to look for in a civic?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for in a civic?

hi, im brand new to this list, and import cars. im currently looking for a new car, i want something economic (cheap to buy and relatively cheap to run). high on my list of things a car needs is power, i want something smooth and quick. i know my way around a wrench, what i want to know is what to look for in a used civic (i want a 2 door coupe) like engine, obviously i want the v-tech, but what i dont know is what years and engines are the easiest (have the most available aftermarket) mods. i would love to be in the 190-200hp range, otherwise im going v8 and looking at something closer to 300-400.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:07 PM

Default Re: what to look for in a civic? (mrgto)

all civics have very similair aftermarket support except 2001- on.

the only stock civic even close to your 190 hp is a 99-00 si which isn't really close.
the only stock honda/acura sold here other than the nsx and s2000 is the integra type r ..

Though you said u want a civic so unless you want to swap or turbo or build it into an NA beast (all a cost a good amount of money) you won't hit 190 hp without dropping $1000 plus into it

thats all my advice others that are a lot smarter will add to this and give way more info
Old 04-19-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: what to look for in a civic? (94blackhatch)

im looking for a civic 1993-present, in the 3000-5000 cdn dollar price range, there are lots. im also planning on dropping a fair chunk of money on the engine, 600-2000 ish. id prefer NA, but turbo could be possible if i can find one cheap enough, im confident i could do the install myself, maybe even custom fab any exhaust parts necessary. i havnt researched honda parts much yet, but i would be looking to upgrade head, cam(s), lifters, and rockers, assuming that is possible on a v-tech engine, which im sure it is. however i do have an open mind as i am new to 4 bangers and at this point am just applying older knowledge.

also obviously do the simple upgrades such as muffler, intake, and ignition.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> that is possible on a v-tech engine, which im sure it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

everybody ready on 3... are you talking about car or phone hahahaha

Welcome to H-T
Old 04-19-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Re: what to look for in a civic? (2lua)

EG hatch, with swap i say any b-series with some serious mods

OR H22 power yO and then ur right around that hp range u want w/ bolt ons
Old 04-19-2004, 04:53 PM

Default Re: what to look for in a civic? (QUICKERSILV3R)

If you want to be in that hp range you are going to have to spend a little more than just $2000. A b18c swap costs around $3000 (plus install) and that will make you much quicker but still not in the range you want to be in. If u get your basic bolt ons, chipped ecu and VAFC it might get you around where you want it...That about the point im at right now with my coupe and im lovin it. Good luck with whatever you do!
Old 04-19-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow dude use the search feature here to research some more before the post. Just a heads up it's VTEC people are really **** about that......and Honda's are nothing like dumbmestics.
$1000 into honda = 10hp
$1000 into domestic= 1,000 hp ( just being sarcastic)
But nonetheless welcome to Honda-tech and the wide world of Honda's
It's nothin but bitche's and booze from now on.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to look for in a civic? (EjCiViC)

$600-$2000 doesnt bring you anywhere.. a swap you are looking at probably around cdn $4000 installed with new clutch, timing belt, spark plugs.. etc..
Old 04-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrgto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im looking for a civic 1993-present, in the 3000-5000 cdn dollar price range, there are lots.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lucky bastard.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> im also planning on dropping a fair chunk of money on the engine, 600-2000 ish.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a drop in the bucket when dealing with a Civic. Welcome to Hondas

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id prefer NA, but turbo could be possible if i can find one cheap enough, im confident i could do the install myself, maybe even custom fab any exhaust parts necessary.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You may think you'd prefer NA, but after dealing with an NA B18C versus a boosted D16, I would have gone force-fed if I could rewind time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i havnt researched honda parts much yet, but i would be looking to upgrade head, cam(s), lifters, and rockers, assuming that is possible on a v-tech engine, which im sure it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) no lifter and rocker upgrades that I know of are made for Hondas, and if there are some they'll be hellishly expensive and a PITA to install since your average Honda powerplant has like 12-20.

2.) it's VTEC, not v-tech. It stands for "variable valve timing lift electronic control", not "valve technology" or some horseshit like that. Get it right from now on or suffer.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">however i do have an open mind as i am new to 4 bangers and at this point am just applying older knowledge.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Welcome to the club . Think of it as a gutless V8 (mid 80's Chevy 305 should about do it ) and work from there. You have two choices when dealing with Honda engines: try and reform the power curve to add torque or compliment the power curve by adding hellish top-end. Physically, the engines respond to modifications in the same respect that a similarly advanced V8 would: you add long runners on the intake manifold you gain low end torque, you do a lightened flywheel you rev faster, etc.

This site will teach you more than you can fathom, so read up and search often.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also obviously do the simple upgrades such as muffler, intake, and ignition.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Muffler - makes noise and that's it. Invest in an electric cutout instead (www.quicktimeperformance.com) and keep your quiet, stock exhaust and emissions **** intact for the daily grind while allowing yoruself to go open-header when some choad in a Metro gives you the flex.

Intake - meh, makes a lot of noise and gives you a nice ***-dyno gain. It helps a lot to hang a compressor wheel on it .

Ignition - hello wicked gas mileage and trouble-free revving, but no significant HP or TQ gains in any part of the powerband. I'm an MSD worshiper and I've got them on all my cars, and I wouldn't remove them for anything, but they don't give Hondas any extra grunt at all.

Keep an open mind and you'll learn some cool ****. Enjoy.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:03 PM

miles aren't too much of an issue for the motor, but you still wanna look for a reasonable amount, unless you plan to do a motor swap, then just look for a clean shell. civic coupes have n e where from 130 to 160hp. getiing to the desired hp you want would cost some extra bucks and precise work from the stock motor. good luck hunting!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:04 PM

thanks for the help,