Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek?

I want to buy a new set of shocks but i don't know what to get. I was thinking about tokico illuminas or koni yellow but i don' know which is better. I like the fact that the tokicos are adjustible. So i wanted to know what everyone was using?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (ramz7887)

Koni's are adjustable too, and I like my Koni's.
Old 08-13-2003, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (96coupe)

Koni Yellows
Old 08-13-2003, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (ramz7887)

Where did you get yours and what did you pay? Did they come with performance springs? Also can you drop the car 1.5" without getting a camber kit?
Old 08-13-2003, 07:17 AM

where are places to get koni yellows?? are they adjustable?? i need struts bad, and i want to know a place to get them and cheap, thanks
Old 08-13-2003, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (josups)

skunk2, and kyb agx....the poor mans coilovers.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:03 AM

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (Bandwagoneer)

I have neuspeed sports and KYB AGX's on my 98 coupe. I like this setup especially for the price I paid.

KYB's are holding up very well. I'm not into paying inflated prices for those "names"

My opinion on lowering without camber kit...don't do it...

When I did my suspension I made all the mistakes...put springs on stock shocks and blew them all the while ruining a set of tires cuz the alignment was screwed.

If you can afford it get the shocks, springs and front camber kit. The rear camber can be adjusted enought using the bolt and washer method.

Also if you do it all at once you don't have to do it all twice like me.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (axhandler)

Koni yellows can be found at http://www.tornactive.com. You might be able to find them cheaper if you look. But about the 1.5 inch drop, no, you do not need a camber kit.
And also ramz7877, do you want to slam your car of do a sport drop?If you want to do a sport drop, kyb agx's are really nice for the price. But, if you want to slam your car, it would be best to go with koni yellows because they can handle slammed cars. Agx's are known to blow out really fast with a car lower than 2 inches. (It even says so on the shocks).
Old 08-13-2003, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (slvrcivic97)

I want to go for sport. I don't like it too low.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Then go with the KYB AGX's. Their also adjustable.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what does it cost to instal a new set? What kind of springs should i get to go with those?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sport drop I'd go with Eibach Pro-Kits springs. They are really nice and drop your car about 1.5 inches. Or you can go Eibach sportlines which drop your car more, but performance wise, most people prefer the pro-kits.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (slvrcivic97)

I want to stay around 1.5 because i don't want to spend the money on a camber kit.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...69324
Then prokit is your friend. You can get them for about 180 shipped.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrcivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...69324
Then prokit is your friend. You can get them for about 180 shipped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

prokit maybe but ebay is my sworen enemy
Old 08-13-2003, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, try http://www.tornactive.com then. I know they have them.
Old 08-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah torn is a good place to buy from i bought my sk2 bars from them
Old 08-13-2003, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (Bandwagoneer)

Old 08-13-2003, 09:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrcivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Koni yellows can be found at http://www.tornactive.com. But about the 1.5 inch drop, no, you do not need a camber kit.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not flaming you or anything but re you speaking from experience? Because I am and I definately needed a camber kit...front and rear. you can run around lowered 1.5" and have no major pulling issues but you are definately pushing the limits of the camber spec's if you're even staying in spec at all. If you understand the geometry of the suspension you realize that as you lower the suspension the camber goes negative and you get "toe in." Both of which cause excessive tire wear and at times unpredictable handeling. Once again...if I had it to do over again I would do the camber kit at the same time as the other suspension mods. My .02.

Check this out... http://www.coximport.com/store/164094
Same place I got mine. Pretty good deal on the prokit springs to.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:49 AM

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (axhandler)

On my civic i have the neuspeed sports and all I had to do for the front was get it alligned and the washer trick in the rear, I think the sports are like 1.75 and 1.5 drop, but I may be wrong.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slvrcivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Koni Yellows </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, those are what I use. One of the best damn shocks out there. I highly recommend them and love that they come w/ a lifetime warranty. It has been awhile since I've adjusted them, but I think I run like 1.5 turns in front and a 1/2 turn in the rear for daily driving.

EDITED for spelling.

Modified by Daniel at 3:06 PM 8/13/2003
Old 08-13-2003, 11:05 AM

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (civickidd99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civickidd99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On my civic i have the neuspeed sports and all I had to do for the front was get it alligned and the washer trick in the rear, I think the sports are like 1.75 and 1.5 drop, but I may be wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds right on the drop but how long have you been driving it like that?
Old 08-13-2003, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by axhandler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not flaming you or anything but re you speaking from experience? Because I am and I definately needed a camber kit...front and rear. you can run around lowered 1.5" and have no major pulling issues but you are definately pushing the limits of the camber spec's if you're even staying in spec at all. If you understand the geometry of the suspension you realize that as you lower the suspension the camber goes negative and you get "toe in." Both of which cause excessive tire wear and at times unpredictable handeling. Once again...if I had it to do over again I would do the camber kit at the same time as the other suspension mods. My .02.

Same place I got mine. Pretty good deal on the prokit springs to.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What is a safe level to lower the car without getting a camber kit.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by axhandler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same place I got mine. Pretty good deal on the prokit springs to. </TD></TR></TABLE>
i believe you meant to say to out.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:33 AM

Default Re: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek? (Peagreenhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Peagreenhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i believe you meant to say to out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep...I meant Toe out....causes excessive wear on the inside edge of the tire especially when combined with negative camber. Good call.

Umm...it is safe to lower your car 1.5'...your tires just wont last as long as they should. Also the car will be less predictable...that'snot to say that it will be all over the road or anything...just not the best it could be.

Quick Reply: What kind of shock/struts and springs are you using in your ek?