Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What kind of electrical wires or sensors around the oil filter?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of electrical wires or sensors around the oil filter?

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if I'm in the right forum but I hope one of yours can help me.

To make story short, I bought a very clean and very low mileage of 1999 Honda Civic today (DX sedan). I fed this baby with the synthetic oil right away after coming back home. The problem I got was when I was trying to remove the oil filter with a metallic oil filter wrench, I saw some electrical sparks at the top of the oil filter. I removed right away the wrench and the car seems ok (no fuse burned). I didn't take any chance and I removed the oil filter with my bare hand ( It was very tight and It took me more than an hour). I have only an hydraulic jack and I was unable to lift the car higher enough to see what are around the oil filter. I also did some search with google for the engine diagram but I found nothing. So if one of yours know what are the electrical wires or sensor around the oil filter please let me know.

Thanks again and sorry for my English.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:37 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: What kind of electrical wires or sensors around the oil filter?

The only thing that could have made a spark that would make sense would be the alternator wire that goes to the battery. There is the wiring harness and oil pressure switch, but it's all protected by loom and most of it wouldn't create sparks like you say.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Isn't there a tsb about the wire harness on the 6th gen civics?

RonJ got rid of his signature but I could have sworn he had a link to it.

I think where it's known to short and blow fuse 15 I think is in the harness under the IM around the oil filter area.

Found it:

TSB-x99-029e.pdf

I'm going to request this moved to the 92-00 section as it's not related to engine building or machine work.

OP please read the TSB I posted and check your fuse 15 to see if it's blown. You may be near having the issue of not already have the issue in the TSB.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My comment has nothing to do with your electrical issue. If you are weary of using your oil filter wrench again, try a piece of sandpaper about the size of your hand next time to grip the oil filter to remove it. Worked excellent for me in a pinch when I didn't have a wrench. Just my two cents worth and it will save you an hour of trying to get the filter off without a wrench.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ttommytucker
........... If you are weary of using your oil filter wrench again, try a piece of sandpaper about the size of your hand next time to grip the oil filter to remove it. Worked excellent for me in a pinch when I didn't have a wrench. Just my two cents worth and it will save you an hour of trying to get the filter off without a wrench.
I've never met a oil filter that could resist rotation when punctured by a phillips screwdriver (instant handle).
Old 06-14-2015, 01:54 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ejv8s10
I've never met a oil filter that could resist rotation when punctured by a phillips screwdriver (instant handle).
I've tried that twice. Both times, it cut through the casing of the filter before making it rotate. On the plus side, once that happens, you have all these nice little holes that you can stick things into, to spin the base of the filter out.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Isn't there a tsb about the wire harness on the 6th gen civics?

RonJ got rid of his signature but I could have sworn he had a link to it.

I think where it's known to short and blow fuse 15 I think is in the harness under the IM around the oil filter area.

Found it:

Attachment 396732

the TSB.

Big thanks TomCat for your help and for the PDF. I visual checked the fuse #15 and also I tested it with a multimeter and the fuse is fine. I was busy today but I didn't notice anything abnormal while driving the car. OneBadTurboCRV probably was right, maybe the spark was from the alternator. Anyway I think I'm going to buy a plastic oil filter wrench adapter for the next oil change.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ejv8s10

I had this option in my mind as well. But there was not too much space which allow me to punch or to rotate the oil filter with a screwdriver and I was also afraid that if I failed, I cannot drive the car to a garage anymore. This option is also very messy. Now I'm looking for a plastic oil filter wrench adapter, but I need the spec of the oil filter, especially about diameter.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Hysterically Calm

This might serve you better, it's my favorite filter clamp that uses the 3/8" drive ratchet.

Oil Filter Wrench | Princess Auto

I've never had a filter I couldn't get off with it.

The one picture is the small one for our small honda filters. They have a large one for the big diesel filters too.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
The only thing that could have made a spark that would make sense would be the alternator wire that goes to the battery. There is the wiring harness and oil pressure switch, but it's all protected by loom and most of it wouldn't create sparks like you say.

You probably right. Hope I didn't damage some diodes inside of the alternator. The battery warning light is off so far (knock the wood).
Old 06-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This might serve you better, it's my favorite filter clamp that uses the 3/8" drive ratchet.

Oil Filter Wrench | Princess Auto

I've never had a filter I couldn't get off with it.

The one picture is the small one for our small honda filters. They have a large one for the big diesel filters too.

Thanks TomCat. Unfortunately the clamp is made of the steel . What I'm looking for is like this.

Performance Tool W54075 - Filter Wrench | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I bought this yesterday and this thing is a real crap.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automo...ontent=Default
Old 06-14-2015, 05:07 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Yeah, strap wrenches are trash, unless you have weap hands/wrists. Those clamps can work fairly well, though. I have one in my toolbox, and the only times it didn't work were with the aforementioned "screwdriver cut the filter in half" moments. The filter cap tools can work, if you don't have a "grippy" oil filter like a lot of companies are making now.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:06 PM
Hysterically Calm

I'm not a big fan of the cap type oil "wrench". The only time I used those was on paper cartridge filters like on the Mazda 3. Even then you have to have the exact one that fits the application or they are worthless.

I never did like the screw driver trick as usually the filter just shreds and then it's even more a PITA to remove in most cases. At least I never had luck with that method.

In the two years I spent in oil lube shops doing nothing but pit-man oil changes, the c-clamp never failed me while every other type has at least once.

The only one the c-clamp doesn't do is the paper cartridge filters that use the plastic outside casing that is a part of the car.

In two years, you can imagine how many oil filters I've seen and twisted off. And how many dry gasket filters I would have to do because the owner of the car didn't know better when they did their oil change at home the time before.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not a cap wrench fan either, but the metallic wrenches make me little bit nervous with those sparks. I tried the strap wrench made by Fram and I should sue them for fraud.

I did the screwdriver trick with my fist car when I was teenager ( not enough money to buy tools). The trick worked but It was a mess and I needed ton of towel for cleaning.

The Civic is an excellent car and this is my second Civic. But the location of the oil filter from both cars are hard the reach. They are the only cars I need to jack them up for oil changing.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:45 PM
Sol to Sol

Before you puncture it in the middle with the phillips, puncture a hole in the lowest part of the filter on the end, and catch it in the pan

I had a great strap one that used a thick rubber strap, but I think it may have been for opening jars originally lol.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:19 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by SteveT2008
I'm not a cap wrench fan either, but the metallic wrenches make me little bit nervous with those sparks. I tried the strap wrench made by Fram and I should sue them for fraud.
I understand your concern.

Hopefully now that you've put the filter on with an oiled gasket and hand tight (not super reefed) you will be able to twist it off by hand next time.

Personally I like the easy access and space around the older Honda oil filters. You should try some of them Isuzu Side Kick filters, or even Chevy Cavaliers where you have to pull the the under hood fuse box out to get to it from the top side.

Even Mazda 3 you usually have to drop the plastic air dam/skid plate to get to the cartridge filter. And don't get me started on new Volkswagen Beetles!!

/rant

I hope you find something that works for you that you feel comfortable using.

Cheers.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand your concern.

Hopefully now that you've put the filter on with an oiled gasket and hand tight (not super reefed) you will be able to twist it off by hand next time...

I hope you find something that works for you that you feel comfortable using.

Cheers.

Thanks again TomCat. You're really a very helpful person. I should be fine for the next oil change. Today I also bought a cheap cap wrench from Walmart as plan B. The car is still in great condition. I think I can keep it for another 4 years or +

Anyway thanks again.