Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors!

Old 06-24-2002, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors!

is this sound deadening or something? i figure EG (or eh2) people would know, since you strip your cars more frequently than us DC folk. how do i take it off for a "nice uniform" bare metal appearance? LOL.
thanks
eric
Old 06-24-2002, 04:58 PM
New User

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (sutrusu)

That is sound and mostly vibration dampening material. Go to the local supermarket and pick up some dry ice, get a hammer and a wide chisel (stiff not flexable) and some safety goggles and a face mask. now put all your safety stuff on, get some trash bags and head out to the car. Lay some dry ice directly on a section you want to remove, let it sit for about 3 minutes and then remove it. Now take the chisel and hammer and tap it at an angle, dont hit to hard or you will dent the car, nice and easy, take your time and take lots of brakes.

This should let you get it out real quick.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (sutrusu)

heh, I just painted over it.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use a heat gun and a chisel. heat it up and peel it back. it's tedious and time consuming but it works... without denting.

[Modified by chainsaw, 9:34 PM 6/24/2002]
Old 06-24-2002, 05:30 PM

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (slowerthanu)

That is sound and mostly vibration dampening material. Go to the local supermarket and pick up some dry ice, get a hammer and a wide chisel (stiff not flexable) and some safety goggles and a face mask. now put all your safety stuff on, get some trash bags and head out to the car. Lay some dry ice directly on a section you want to remove, let it sit for about 3 minutes and then remove it. Now take the chisel and hammer and tap it at an angle, dont hit to hard or you will dent the car, nice and easy, take your time and take lots of brakes.

This should let you get it out real quick.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:03 PM

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Dodger2940)

gawd damn! thats a lot of work... does that weigh a lot or something?
Old 06-25-2002, 01:12 PM

my buddy stripped his all out from the entire car, and he weighed the pile.... 28 pounds!!!!! Crazy huh?
Old 06-25-2002, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (CustomCockpits)

hmmm, I have an SI and it has the most sound deadening material in any of the eh chassis and mine with the bottom portion of the firewall mat torn out only weighed 18.5 lbs
Old 06-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not that much work at all just get ALOT of dry ice and a putty knife with a lightweight hammer , let it sit and hit it

comes up in BIG pieces , use gumcutter / brake clean to get the leftover junk up and repaint cause its only primered under that crap
Old 06-25-2002, 01:28 PM

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Doctor CorteZ)

Im still in the middle of removing mine, but **** mine was so old and warped it just peeled off with a flathead. lol....but some of it is still got some stick to it.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Kasper 1)

for the firewall matt - did anyone take off their dash to get it. Just feeling it seems heavy, i might just cut it off where you cannot see it anymore..
Old 06-25-2002, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (navin)

for the firewall matt - did anyone take off their dash to get it. Just feeling it seems heavy, i might just cut it off where you cannot see it anymore..
Might as well do EVERYTHING while you can.

Old 06-25-2002, 02:35 PM

gawd damn! thats a lot of work... does that weigh a lot or something?
yah but it looks a lot better with it out and not sticking up
Old 06-25-2002, 03:14 PM

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Mario)

Nice. I hope mine will look like that one day. Is the road noise and everything way too loud?
Old 06-25-2002, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Mario)

DRY ICE...I didn't even have sound deadening in my eh2 but my coupe has a shitload of it. I probably won't remove it but if I were to do so, I would buy some dry ice. That **** just breaks apart..better than heating it up and getting goey crap all over the place.
Old 06-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't get this fascination with stripping out the interior unless the car isn't daily driven as a purpose built race car. My car is nice with it's "real heavy" pieces of foam and plastic and that 20lbs of gunk on the floor. I bet the new flywheel I put in is way more noticable than if I were to shed that 40lbs of stuff from my car. How much does gas weigh again?
Old 06-25-2002, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Mike P.)

How much does gas weigh again?
Tooo much. I try to run on E if possible. I dont' know, you don't really need
sound deadening. Jeezz....type R's don't really have any, and they
are nice..just right! No sound deadening is like a free carbon fiber hood
(in weight savings)

[Modified by 00-ITR-373, 10:30 PM 6/25/2002]
Old 06-25-2002, 06:32 PM

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Doctor CorteZ)

hmmm, I have an SI and it has the most sound deadening material in any of the eh chassis and mine with the bottom portion of the firewall mat torn out only weighed 18.5 lbs
well his was an RX7 so they must have more
Old 06-25-2002, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (CustomCockpits)

I dont' know where you bitchazzz live, but here in Florida, you can't go to the supermarket and get some dry ice.....

Any suggestions where else it could be found ?
Old 06-25-2002, 07:04 PM

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (POLLO)

HEAT GUN AND CHISEL AND HAMMER!

Only strip it if you plan on running 10's/11's.
Old 06-25-2002, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Civicdrgrcr)

do it once and do it right... u dont need that stuff anyway
Old 06-25-2002, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (ek9t)

nice interior, i'll post pics of mine soon
Old 06-25-2002, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Civicdrgrcr)

Doesn't a heat gun turn the stuff into a narsty, gooey mess? Seems like chilling it is definitely the way to go.

I'll also never understand why some of you folks ruin your perfectly good street cars by removing the air conditioning. I live in DC (which is built on a swamp) and it was almost 100 degrees here. What the hell would I want to show up to work or at my girlfriends after work with a shirt that's soaking wet for? Because I'm a "racer?" Asanine.

A genuine race car is one thing, but this is a monkey-see-monkey-do kinda fad, it seems.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (Mike P.)

Driving around every day w/ stripped interior because you think it's cool is
Old 06-26-2002, 07:24 AM

Default Re: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors! (PatrickGSR94)

Yo wat part of DC you from. I AM FROM DC ALSO!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what the hell is this! people who have completely stripped your interiors!