Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what the hell is this noise comming from my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 09:42 AM
david

Default what the hell is this noise comming from my car?

Ok… I’m having a little problem with my car. 94 s model del sol. After I dropped the thing with h&r race springs on stock struts (no money for koni yellows yet) and I’m hearing a clunking whenever I drive over a little bump. It sounds like the car just hit the floor. only comming from the rear though. I’m thinking it’s because my shocks are blown. I’m not sure though. It drives fine on flat surfaces.

forgot to mention: did a rear disc conversion also. doubt it's that though. I think that noise is common among cars that have been slammed on stock shocks.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what the hell is this noise comming from my car? (david)

probably your bump stop. how low is it? also, did you trim them at all?
Old 11-01-2005, 09:43 AM

shock bottoming out-
question did you cut the bump stops, if not your supposed to !
Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 AM
david

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b204dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shock bottoming out-
question did you cut the bump stops, if not your supposed to ! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya… I chopped the bump stop in ½.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by david &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok… I’m having a little problem with my car. 94 s model del sol. After I dropped the thing with h&r race springs on stock struts (no money for koni yellows yet) and I’m hearing a clunking whenever I drive over a little bump. It sounds like the car just hit the floor. only comming from the rear though. I’m thinking it’s because my shocks are blown. I’m not sure though. It drives fine on flat surfaces.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds a lot like the struts are gone.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:48 AM
david

Default Re: what the hell is this noise comming from my car? (Hybrid93Eg)

it rode well for a while... then randomly. clunked.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could also be a worn away busing where your strut meets the lower control arm.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by david &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it rode well for a while... then randomly. clunked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lowered car on stock struts = recipie for failure.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:36 AM
david

Default Re: what the hell is this noise comming from my car? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could also be a worn away busing where your strut meets the lower control arm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my lower control arms are new. i got them from honda with the sway bar install option. can't be that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Lowered car on stock struts = recipie for failure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol. just wanted to keep it low for now while i do alot more work to it.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote: "lol. just wanted to keep it low for now while i do alot more work to it."

lowering it while trying to work on it makes it a total pain in the a$$. I raised mine as high as it could go so it's easier and I won't do any damage while I do any work or have to use a hydraulic jack. I'm gonna lower back down once I'm finished with everything. Easier that way.

I don't know how to do those originally quoted from things.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:27 PM
david

Default Re: what the hell is this noise comming from my car? (Darkhour Racing)

just wanted to see how it looked. i'll have a set of koni sports pretty soon. hopefully that's the problem though. if not my shocks being blown... imma have a hell of a time figuring it out.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 PM

what it is..... when you hit a bump or something the spring will lost contact with the top cap cause it doesnt expand like the stock spring so when the car comes back down the spring "resets" itself into the top cap.... its like your shoulder dislocating the relocating itself... happens all the time. No worries
Old 11-02-2005, 09:06 AM
david

Default Re: (TsukubaDreams)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TsukubaDreams &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what it is..... when you hit a bump or something the spring will lost contact with the top cap cause it doesnt expand like the stock spring so when the car comes back down the spring "resets" itself into the top cap.... its like your shoulder dislocating the relocating itself... happens all the time. No worries</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... sounds painful. dude, i wonder how my car is feeling . i'm gutted so you can imagine the sound from it. thanks people.