Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what the heck... dash guages burn out. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what the heck... instrument panel lights burn out. HELP PLEASE!

i was driving on the highway and all of the sudden all the instrument lights go out. speedometer works everything works.... but the lights dnot work... and the climate control one doenst work either. frustrated, i look for the fuse to replace. i replaced the fuse and flicked the light on. POP it goes out again... i take my instrument cluster out and clip the wires to the indiglo guages. fuse in, POP.... ok heres the deal... i really dotn want to take this into honda cause they will make me sell my soul to them for their services to find a ******* short in my system. any ideas what it could be?

(the instrument pael lights run on the same fuse as the parking lights. so at night time this is BAD. no rear lights until i hit the brakes
Old 04-21-2003, 05:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what the heck... instrument panel lights burn out. HELP PLEASE! (phantom_sol)

did you try unhooking your bling gauges?? and replacing the bulbs after?
Old 04-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the heck... instrument panel lights burn out. HELP PLEASE! (Irishweird00)

i completely disconnected the indiglo guages, since it wasnt working anyways... the lights flicker on then short out when i put in a new fuse. i am completely stumped. but my friend mentioned maybe the switch on the steering column is bad. whereas theres a short in the courtesy light switch and it kicks back and blows the fuse. this will also explain how my headlights and brakelights still work, yet the parking lights done come on. the turn signals still work since there are two different filaments...

but if anyone has had any other experience with this problem, please give me ideas. i'm kinda weary about changing the switch cause the whole srs system on the steering column. you know... dont want an airbag to kill me when working on my car.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what the heck... instrument panel lights burn out. HELP PLEASE! (phantom_sol)

ttt
Old 04-23-2003, 06:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phantom_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but if anyone has had any other experience with this problem, please give me ideas. i'm kinda weary about changing the switch cause the whole srs system on the steering column. you know... dont want an airbag to kill me when working on my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
common sense tells me when I work around an airbag, I unplug the battery
Old 04-23-2003, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phantom_sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i completely disconnected the indiglo guages, since it wasnt working anyways... the lights flicker on then short out when i put in a new fuse. i am completely stumped. but my friend mentioned maybe the switch on the steering column is bad. whereas theres a short in the courtesy light switch and it kicks back and blows the fuse. this will also explain how my headlights and brakelights still work, yet the parking lights done come on. the turn signals still work since there are two different filaments...

but if anyone has had any other experience with this problem, please give me ideas. i'm kinda weary about changing the switch cause the whole srs system on the steering column. you know... dont want an airbag to kill me when working on my car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Time to look at all of your previous wiring jobs. You have a short somewhere. When it was happening to me it was in the stereo harness.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:59 AM

Default Re: what the heck... instrument panel lights burn out. HELP PLEASE! (Spade)

sounds like a short. Something is touching that is only reason the fuse would blow. On a related note, can anybody look at my thread and tell me what you think? My guage lights went out as well but I'm not blowing any fuses.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=482546