Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what headlight bulbs???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what headlight bulbs???

ok so i searched and didnt find the answear i needed.....

i have a 95 civic LX...i wanna change the headlight bulbs to some that light better than stock without going to HID kit (too expensive) soo i was looking at some reviews and they say that sylvania silvertar ultra are really good...i want something that light white or light blue...

so my question is...what bulbs do i need??? some of them say H4? are those the one i need? some of them say 9003 HB2???

are this the ones i need?

anyone have any comments on this bulbs???
Old 06-28-2009, 05:41 PM

Default Re: what headlight bulbs???

Look here
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/
Old 06-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

9003 hb2=H4

silverstars are decent bulbs. You can always buy a re wiring kit and get some PIAA bulbs to make it much brighter without having to get HID's
Old 06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Never mind your silverstars. Your best bet is with Osram (basically same company as Sylvania) NIGHT BREAKERS or Philips X-treme Power. Here is a review on Honda-Tech. I went with the Philips X-Treme Power after I read the comprehensive and independent reviews here at Auto Express in the UK. (Rated #1 over the Osrams.) Philips has less blue to it than the Osrams, which means less filtering of the light at the bulb and more light hitting the road. Safety is my #1 priority here over aesthetics, so I went with the Philips for a few dollars more.

Purchased at AutoBulbsDirect.co.uk. Prices include worldwide shipping. You want the H4 bulb.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

silverstars will work for him, he already has them, so why would he buy another brand? Ive never even heard of philips or osram for bulbs
Old 06-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by mattliston
silverstars will work for him, he already has them, so why would he buy another brand? Ive never even heard of philips or osram for bulbs
Nowhere does the OP mention that they have already purchased a set of Sylvania Silverstars. They ask about 9003 HB2 vs. H4 bulbs, and at the bottom of the post they ask for "any comments on these bulbs".

If you have never heard about Osram or Philips bulbs then I would encourage you to read the reviews here and here that I mentioned above. These write-ups along with a few others had a big influence on my choice for new bulbs.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, your right, I wrongfully assumed he had them because he posted a picture lol

i dont know, I guess I favor PIAA.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I read those reviews, I may have to rethink my bulb choice, thanks for the links!!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just remember the brighter the bulb the shorter the life span will be. I think i was getting about 1 year out of the above listed bulbs and it gets quite expensive replacing them all the time. You might want to look at installing a quality set of driving lights to givr you the extra lighting you are looking for.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HID's FTW. When you start adding up your bulb cost (friends Silverstars lasted 8 months) HID's aren't that expensive.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...94&postcount=3

Technically they're different specifications for the same approximate bulb design. The difference is just where the filament is placed within the bulb and the brightness of the bulb. The specifications for the 9003/HB2 are more stringent than the H4.

For most people it's not going to really matter.

In case anyone might want to learn though, I'll include some tech info. I think it's pretty interesting myself.

http://candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/H4_9003.pdf

For those who don't wish to load (or can't load) the PDF:
Originally Posted by CandlePowerInc.com
H4, HB2, and 9003 bulbs
9003 and HB2 are different names for the same bulb, so these numbers apply to just two kinds of bulb: H4 and 9003/HB2.

9003 and H4 bulbs
look alike, fit in all the same headlamps, have the same wattage rating and seem to be completely interchangeable, but in some places, the law says that only one or the other type must be used.

In 1971, the H4 bulb was introduced in Europe as the world's first halogen headlamp bulb that could produce both low and high beam from a single bulb. It quickly became the world's most popular headlight bulb except in the USA, where cars had to have sealed beam headlamps with non-replaceable bulbs. Motorcycles in the USA have never been required to use sealed beam headlamps, and so the H4 bulbs became popular for motorcycles in the US and worldwide. It is widely used to this day.

In 1983, the US Department of Transportation (DOT) first permitted cars in the US to use non-sealed-beam headlamps with replaceable bulbs, but DOT requirements differ from those in force outside the USA. On of the US requirement is that the beam aim must not change when the bulb is replaced. This can happen is a low quality replacement bulb is installed, because in a poorly made bulbs, the filament is often improperly positioned. Headlamps are optical instruments, and they depend on the filament being very precisely placed. If the filament is not precisely where it's meant to be, the beam pattern will be shifted or changed.

Like all engineered products, headlight bulbs are built to a technical standard which specifies all mechanical, electrical and dimensional aspects of the bulb. This blueprint makes sure all bulbs of a given type are interchangeable, and provides allowable ranges, or manufacturing tolerances, for each aspect.

In 1991, automakers wanted to use H4 headlights bulbs on cars in the US, but the DOT decided engineering blueprints for H4 bulbs allow too much variance in the position of the filaments within the bulb. So a new blueprint was made, with all the electrical and dimensional properties the same, but with stricter limits on filament placement variance. Because of the limits in the US on beam intensity in effect in 1991, the maximum allowable light output tolerance was also reduced. This new bulb specification was called "9003/HB2", because at the time, two numbering conventions were in use. Many 9003/HB2 bulbs also carry the "H4" marking, and vice versa, because it is possible to meet the specifications in both blueprints at the same time. The first headlamps with 9003 bulbs were on 1992 model cars.

Filament placement variance is not a problem with high quality bulbs made by reputable companies. At Candlepower, we make sure all our bulbs are better than the law requires. Our filaments are all precision focused inside watch bulb to ensure a properly placed, properly formed beam in any headlamp. In areas where there is no legal preference for 9003 bulbs over H4 bulbs in cars, any Candlepower H4 or 9003 bulb can be used with confidence in any headlamp.

Technical bulletin:
H4, HB2, & 9003 bulbs.

Who may use HB2 or 9003 bulbs?
9003 or HB2 bulbs marked "DOT" may be used in the US and Canada in any car headlamp that is marked "DOT HB2," and in any motorcycle headlamp designed to take an H4, 9003 or HB2 bulb. They can also be used in any car headlamp designed to take an H4 bulb.

Who must use HB2 or 9003 bulbs?
Automakers must install only 9003/HB2 bulbs marked "DOT" in the USA in headlamps marked "DOT HB2." To make sure such headlamps remain in compliance with Federal standards in the USA, use only replacement 9003 or HB2 bulbs marked "DOT." This is especially important in areas where headlamp bulbs are checked for "DOT" markings as part of a state vehicle inspection program.

Who may use H4 bulbs?
H4 bulbs may be used in H4 headlamps, in any country where such headlamps are permitted on cars or motorcycles. Outside the USA, thy may be used in headlamps designed to take HB2/9003 bulbs in areas where there is no requirement or inspection for bulbs marked "DOT."

Who must use H4 bulbs?
H4 bulbs with a circle-E mark are required in many countries outside of North America.

Copyright 2003 Candlepower Inc.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:07 PM
H-T White Ops

Oh, and I've had SilverStars last up to two years without a problem. It does not seem to be the norm though.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Oh, and I've had SilverStars last up to two years without a problem. It does not seem to be the norm though.
Nope, taken from manufactures website:

http://www.sylvania.com/LearnLightin...Lighting/FAQs/

Q) How long do the headlights last?
A) The life of any halogen bulb varies based on vehicle type, vehicle voltage, amount of time the bulb is on, road conditions, proper installation, and correct application. The average life of SilverStar® headlights is approximately one year.

Q) When is a good time to change my headlights?
A) SYLVANIA recommends evaluating you headlights once a year for optimum performance.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:40 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
Nope, taken from manufactures website:

http://www.sylvania.com/LearnLightin...Lighting/FAQs/

Q) How long do the headlights last?
A) The life of any halogen bulb varies based on vehicle type, vehicle voltage, amount of time the bulb is on, road conditions, proper installation, and correct application. The average life of SilverStar® headlights is approximately one year.

Q) When is a good time to change my headlights?
A) SYLVANIA recommends evaluating you headlights once a year for optimum performance.
So by "nope", you're agreeing with me?

Mine lasted for about two years. I've had many customers who have had them last only a few months though.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

really good info guys....i dont really drive at night that much, so i guess they will last me atleast a year or so...witch sylvania would u guys recommend? the silverstar or the cool blue??
Old 06-29-2009, 07:03 AM

An excellent counter-point made about bulb life, but if you are considering an HID retrofit as some posters mention, I suggest reading here.

An excerpt:
Originally Posted by Daniel Stern
Thinking of converting to HID?

So you've read about HID headlamps and have it in mind to convert your car. A few mouse clicks on the web, and you've found a couple of outfits offering to sell you a "conversion" that will fit any car with a given type of halogen bulb. STOP! Put away that credit card.

The most dangerous part of the attempt to "retrofit" Xenon headlamps is that sometimes you get a deceptive and illusory "improvement" in the performance of the headlamp. The performance of the headlamp is perceived to be "better" because of the much higher level of foreground lighting (on the road immediately in front of the car). However, the beam patterns produced by this kind of "conversion" virtually always give less distance light, and often an alarming lack of light where there's meant to be a relative maximum in light intensity. The result is the illusion that you can see better than you actually can, and that's not safe.

It's tricky to judge headlamp beam performance without a lot of knowledge, a lot of training and a lot of special equipment, because subjective perceptions are very misleading. Having a lot of strong light in the foreground, that is on the road close to the car and out to the sides, is very comforting and reliably produces a strong impression of "good headlights". The problem is that not only is foreground lighting of decidedly secondary importance when travelling much above 30 mph, but having a very strong pool of light close to the car causes your pupils to close down, worsening your distance vision...all the while giving you this false sense of security. This is to say nothing of the massive amounts of glare to other road users and backdazzle to you, the driver, that results from these "retrofits".
Old 06-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
So by "nope", you're agreeing with me?

Mine lasted for about two years. I've had many customers who have had them last only a few months though.
Yeah I was agreeing it isn't the norm.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM
H-T White Ops

Yeah I was agreeing it isn't the norm.
Oh, okay.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
An excellent counter-point made about bulb life, but if you are considering an HID retrofit as some posters mention, I suggest reading here.

An excerpt:
I didn't like that article at all. It's obvious he is very bias. Some of his statements make no sense. "a retrofit also does not improve the lighting", "headlights should only use the bulbs they are designed for". Hello, stock projector headlights are DESIGNED for HID's. When you are doing a retrofit you are installing a system that was designed to work with the HID's.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 AM

^^ Where are those quotes you provided? I searched the article and did not find those exact statements. Just wondering so I can see them in context.

The author seems generally well versed in photometrics. I would submit that his opinion on this topic is not so much "biased" as it is "well researched", and supported by the policy position of regulators and the rigorous testing by engineers in many, many countries.

At the bottom of the article he states:
"The only safe and legitimate HID retrofit is one that replaces the entire headlamp—that is lens, reflector, bulb...the whole system—with optics designed for HID usage."
Perhaps I do not understand what is meant by an 'HID retrofit kit'. Do they commonly provide a replacement lens, reflector and bulb? ie., not all HID retrofit kits are created equal?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those quotes were paraphrased. His thinking as far as installing a HID's bulb into a housing/system designed around a halogen bulb makes sense (somewhat, because I have greater light distance as well as side vision with my HID's which contradicts what he says. ) His statements about a retrofit make no sense whatever though. In a retrofit you are placing a system that was designed to work with HID's into your halogen housings. HID systems don't use a reflector so that makes no sense at all. Please show me a reflector on these OEM Vette projector/HID's

Old 07-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HID's FTW. When you start adding up your bulb cost (friends Silverstars lasted 8 months) HID's aren't that expensive.
Yea, I went through a couple of sets of the Sylvania UltraStars in short order (less than a year). The low beams kept burning out. Customer service said that the blue coating (that makes the output white) keeps additional heat in the bulb and they burn out. I guess I don't use the high beams long enough at a time for the heat to build up. They said that the expected service life is 12 to 15 months. "Some cars don't like them." (My car is a 99 Accord EX.) Not everyone has this problem though.

I have not heard if the Philips bulbs have the same problem or not.

When I put OEM bulbs back in and have not had any problems since.

[Edit] Here is a another thread about headlight bulbs that may be of interest.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/lighting-107/interesting-read-osram-nightbreaker-vs-phillips-xtreme-power-light-output-2151068/

Last edited by Ronin1; 07-03-2009 at 06:31 AM.