Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What a fun morning already...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What a fun morning already..."brake expert please"!!!

So im heading to work an i get caught at a red light, no biggie.. Light turns green an i goto accelerate an from the get go i feel like im being held back kinda, so in mid shift between first and second my car is like SERIOUSLY sluggin it, than i go into third gear an it almost feels like im deaccelerating rather than accelerating.... So after driving like that for a couple blocks i pull over, an i notice a pretty substantial amount of smoke coming from front drivers tire... Also note, the brake pedal is about as bricked up as it gets, no movement whatsoever... Well i did like some back an forth an left an right turns with my car thinkin maybe i have a seized up caliper an somehow or another can upseize it.. To my suprise i think it worked cuz now my car drives with not as much hesitation an actually speeds up when i press the gas but it still feels like somethings not right... Could I have possibly locked up a caliper, than unlocked it, but not all the way or something..?? And also, my brake pedal now goes like almost all the way to the floor instead of being locked up like it was an hour ago... Anyone whos got some insight feel free to chime in cuz im stumped... Im lettin the car cool down before i go an check it out.. Im gonna jack it up an try to spin the wheels an see if i find my problem maybe..

Modified by JDM_SOHC at 10:33 AM 3/6/2008
Old 03-06-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What a fun morning already..."brake expert please"!!! (JDM_SOHC)

BRAKEEXPERT, if u read this please PM dude..!!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What a fun morning already..."brake expert please"!!! (JDM_SOHC)

do you have a brake light on? did you check your brake fluid to see if it was low. my friends prelude sticks sometimes and it does the same thing...except it doesnt smoke. it just is not very responsive to acceleration.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What a fun morning already..."brake expert please"!!! (slo_hatch)

yeah bro, "not very responsive to acceleration" <~~ thats about the best description to explain this situation...

like i feel as if im pressing on the brake, while tryna drive too ya kno... i just jacked up the car an all the wheels seem to be moving in rotation as necessary, with little to no hesitation... im really like WTF dude...
Old 03-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What a fun morning already..."brake expert please"!!! (slo_hatch)

no brake light, brake fluid full, an after about 30 pumps of the pedal it seems to have some of the pressure back in there.. Could a bad Brake Master Cylinder cause any of these issues..??? "give the feeling of the brake being pressed while driving, brake area start smoking pretty bad, an than go back into a perfect working condition..??
Old 03-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Smoking brakes are never a good thing.
Whens the last time any brake components have been changed out?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

**** dude, i just did pretty much a total renewal of my whole front end... skunk2 camber kit, gsr lca's, ball joints, tie rods, rack n pinion, rotors, brakes, brake clips, brake fluid, **** man just about everything.... an all has been fine so far, an its been about 3-4 months.... brake pads still have plenty of meat left... I'm really stumped man, and im usually pretty good at this honda thing lol... Maybe something got jammed into my piston inside the caliper an unjammed itself or something..!?!?! I'm just startin to think outside the box now, slight dimensia is taking over
Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_SOHC)

also note, im not leaking anything an all hoses seem to be intact an have sufficient pressure...
Old 03-06-2008, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Jack the front tires off of the ground and put it in Neutral. See if you can spin the tires. If not, you might have a bad MC that isn't letting the pressure back in. If it is only one side, you might have a seized caliper.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:04 AM

Default Re: (D50boy)

I would inspect everything as thouroughly as possible. If all looks good on the outside, try bleeding the system until all the fluid is new. Make sure to go in the right order and use the proper fluid rating. I foobar'd a brake job once by bleeding in the wrond order. Mushy pedal feel and poor stopping power- granted, it's nothing like you're experiencing. Once I re-bled correctly it drove great.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah bro, "not very responsive to acceleration" &lt;~~ thats about the best description to explain this situation...

like i feel as if im pressing on the brake, while tryna drive too ya kno... i just jacked up the car an all the wheels seem to be moving in rotation as necessary, with little to no hesitation... im really like WTF dude...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm thinkin maybe bad master cylinder as well, but im still unwary of buying a new one since its not totally clear to be my malfunction...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Swerv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Swerv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would inspect everything as thouroughly as possible. If all looks good on the outside, try bleeding the system until all the fluid is new. Make sure to go in the right order and use the proper fluid rating. I foobar'd a brake job once by bleeding in the wrond order. Mushy pedal feel and poor stopping power- granted, it's nothing like you're experiencing. Once I re-bled correctly it drove great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol @ fubar'd

an yeah man im thinkin i might try to bleed the system again an see wassup, i just hate havin these random anonymous problems all the damn time lol... i should have never test drove that new M3, now gods punishing me for almost leavin the honda game...
Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D50boy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you might have a bad MC that isn't letting the pressure back in. If it is only one side, you might have a seized caliper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My thought too. I had a car in the shop that was driving the same way and the master wasn't allowing the pressure to bleed back into the reservoir.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (King V)

Is there a way to test it though....? I dont wanna take it off to bench bleed it if thats not gonna signify the same factors as if it were on the car functioning...
Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess the best way to ask this question is, what supports the smoking brake theory better.. Bad m/c or Bad caliper..?? Like stated before the brakes now work again, magically.. The car does shift gears an runs fine, magically... And no more smoke from wheel well area, magically also... All i did was jackup my car to check out what the hell was goin on, an now somehow everything works again... Although the brakes seem a bit sluggish still... im thinkin i might just go buy a 91 ex m/c "15/16's" since i did do rear disc swap an i have my 40/40 prop valve sittin here on my desk unused... What a weird *** day so far... I'm still taking insight if anyone can help me figure out what was goin on...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:50 AM
* B A N N E D *

Your brakes only started smoking when they got really hot, i used to do it on puprose on my jetta (which had a enough power to warrent the need for high stopping power) you accelerate and brake hard over and over till just as they smoke, it heats them up and cools them again, forgot the technical term but its like breaking in your brakes.

Yours most likely stayed clamped, started over heating and smoking, then glazed... That woudl explain why it feels better..

Do this, jack the car up and start spinning the tire, step on the brakes hard and see if it stops spinning instantly. When you let go immediately try to turn that wheel again and see if theres any resistance. If there is your caliper might have scarred a piston, and won't go back in all the way... Your going to need to replace the pads on that side too depending how badly they are glazed, you might be able to take some sandpaper to them and deglaze though..
Old 03-06-2008, 10:51 AM
* B A N N E D *

bedding in the brakes, thats what i was looking for, of course i wouldn't think of it until after i hit the Post button...
Old 03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99GreenEX)

sweeeet.. thanks for ur input bro i really appreciate it... i've been waitin kinda for someone to gimme some hope or an idea to try... lemme get right on that an be back asap with an update... to u and ur goofy terminology lol... "jk i like knowing the professional terms as well"..
Old 03-06-2008, 12:24 PM

**** sucks!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sleepingegg)

the worst.... time to get to work.... if anyone comes up with anymore ideas or has had this problem an can put some water on this fire, please post....
Old 03-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i just went an checked further... the wheels when spinning freely an brake is applied, stop immedietly.. like no hesitation to it... but when i took off my wheel an checked the pads, i found some weird issues...

1. im missing my skid plates on back of pads, check out what piston did to brake pad.. is this normal if im missing the plate..??

2. When taking off the calipers, all these shaving type peices kept falling, is this like burnt brake pad or something..??

3. when whatever happened earlier was goin on i guess the pads musta not been engaging right or w/e cuz it looks like the pad is smeared into the rotor...

Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

looks like that piston got stuck, you difinately glazed those breaks, to shoot lol...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99GreenEX)

lol, so new brake pads... do i need new rotors too or will that glazed **** wear off..?? im gonna check into new caliper tomorrow... as well as new M/C, might as well do my brake upgrade while the funds are around... hopefully ill fix the problem along the way, because im still stumped as to what caused it...
Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM

as long as the rotors aren't scored. just get some brake cleaner on them and see if that helps
Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been getting a burning smell in my rear drum brakes - no smoking tho and it's like the exact same thing that happened to you

Quick Reply: What a fun morning already...