Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What full size radiator to use???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What full size radiator to use???

Looking to do a full sized radiator on my EK and have done quite a bit of research but can't come up on any part numbers or DIYs
Lots of pictures though

Let me know what your working with and how you made it work.
Would like to get one for my car asap before my swap goes back in and my bay is finished
Old 07-21-2015, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What full size radiator to use???

Anyone have a similar set up?
Old 07-22-2015, 01:15 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whichever one fits your budget.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:35 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you doing that you think you need a full sized radiator? There's probably something else wrong with your setup.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an aluminum full size from a DA in my hatch. It's pretty straightforward. Drill out the spot welds on the lower radiator mounts and move them both over to where they need to be so your full size fits right then weld them in. Then you will have to fabricate upper mounts.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
What are you doing that you think you need a full sized radiator? There's probably something else wrong with your setup.
at the moment im not running ac and i like the look of a full size much better when there's no condenser sitting next to it
just looks off balance

my 1/2 flows and cools just as it should

was going to go tucked but a little out of my budget at the moment
Old 07-22-2015, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rollinmyda
I have an aluminum full size from a DA in my hatch. It's pretty straightforward. Drill out the spot welds on the lower radiator mounts and move them both over to where they need to be so your full size fits right then weld them in. Then you will have to fabricate upper mounts.

i have the bottom mounting brackets all drilled out already just looking for what size everyone was using in terms on height and width

ill look into a DA one, you have any pictures of your set up???
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

So you're doing this for looks? Well **** pick the most bling.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I'm not rich but it's for looks and performance

Just looking for pictures and what people have used
Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM
Fish Twig

STock setup, what performance are you looking to get out of a bigger radiator? If it ain't broke, don't break the wallet.....
Old 07-22-2015, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default What full size radiator to use???

No one has any pictures of there set ups?
Old 07-22-2015, 09:55 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it that hard to find a picture of a Civic with a full sized radiator? Considering you can't even really see the radiator from the front of the car, I don't even know why this is a question. We don't use full sized radiators, because we realize they're a pointless waste of money.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure I could find a picture of my setup but you really wouldn't be able to see anything from it since everything is out of sight once installed. The only reason I used the full size was that I put a B20 in the car and wasn't going to use the puny original radiator with the B swap. I had the full size laying around so it made more sense to use what I had rather than buying a dual core half size.

*Edit* found a picture of my setup for you. Like I said, hard to see much...

Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure I could find a picture of my setup but you really wouldn't be able to see anything from it since everything is out of sight once installed. The only reason I used the full size was that I put a B20 in the car and wasn't going to use the puny original radiator with the B swap. I had the full size laying around so it made more sense to use what I had rather than buying a dual core half size.

thank you, is that an integra radiator?
Old 07-28-2015, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it is, specifically for a DA model. It's what I had laying around unused so that's why I chose it.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:44 PM
Fish Twig

You do realize that the em1, b16a2, had a half size radiator right? And I also had my em1 w/ b20 running on a half size for DD in hot *** humid weather. Doing just fine. Full size wasn't needed or necessary.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I run the del sol si b16 radiator which is a dual core in all three my ek hatches and it looks factory but performs twice as well. A standard d16 radiator is single core and paper thin. It seems your going for looks over function. I'm going for the sleeper look in my cars and that's the kinda stuff people won't notice about my car and expect me to be running stock internals.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
You do realize that the em1, b16a2, had a half size radiator right? And I also had my em1 w/ b20 running on a half size for DD in hot *** humid weather. Doing just fine. Full size wasn't needed or necessary.
I'm fully aware the EM1 comes equipped from the factory with a DUAL CORE half size radiator. I'm sure the DUAL CORE half size provides adequate cooling in the 96-00 chassis. If you chose to read what I posted though you would see that I said I wasn't going to reuse the SINGLE CORE half size with the B20. I had the full size sitting on a shelf in my garage and decided to spend 30 minutes moving the lower tabs over rather than purchasing a new (dual core half size) radiator that will perform effectly the same or worse.

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
I run the del sol si b16 radiator which is a dual core in all three my ek hatches and it looks factory but performs twice as well. A standard d16 radiator is single core and paper thin. It seems your going for looks over function. I'm going for the sleeper look in my cars and that's the kinda stuff people won't notice about my car and expect me to be running stock internals.
So you're saying the full size won't perform as well as the half size? You even stated that the oem single core is paper thin yet don't understand why I'd run an essentially free (unused) full size aluminum radiator? Wtf?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where in my post did I say anything about the full size radiator in comparison to a half size dual core? Also never said I don't understand why you would run a full size radiator. I was simply stating a dual core option that wasn't flashy and said nothing about you or your radiator so reread that before you start running off at the mouth over the internet.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ek9_beast
It seems your going for looks over function.
So you're saying the full size won't perform as well as the half size? You even stated that the oem single core is paper thin yet don't understand why I'd run an essentially free (unused) full size aluminum radiator? Wtf?
You made a direct relation between looks (full size) and function (half size) as if the full size didn't have both. So I asked a question, not "running off at the mouth", so I could understand why you chose to word it like that or why you felt the full size "compromised function." Why would you take a question as a personal attack? No need to take these forums so personally...
Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You made a direct relation between looks (full size) and function (half size) as if the full size didn't have both. So I asked a question, not "running off at the mouth", so I could understand why you chose to word it like that or why you felt the full size "compromised function." Why would you take a question as a personal attack? No need to take these forums so personally...
My definition of looks was geared toward the aluminum look and a full size gives function (just as a dual core half size does) for those who have room for a full size. I was trying to give people who read this thread in the future another cheap option other than a full size for those of us who don't have room for a full size
Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I understand that then. I was thinking you were saying the full size wasn't functionally as good as the half size which is why I asked you to clarify what you were saying. I would definitely say the full size IS unnecessary for daily driving and if someone was simply looking for a replacement the full size would be overkill and an unnecessary cost and modification. In a road racing scenario I could actually see the full size being beneficial but for the majority of people who daily their car (myself included) it's actually pretty much pointless. As I stated before though, in my case it made sense since the radiator was going unused and I have a welder so the modification wasn't difficult and it was free.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok now we're on the same page. Just want somebody out there to realize there are parts from other models that will work great as factory upgrades with their model and cool their higher hp setup without having to go aftermarket.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:16 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The only reason I used the full size was that I put a B20 in the car and wasn't going to use the puny original radiator with the B swap.
Even with the stock paper thin D-series rad they wont run hot if everything else is setup right,