Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What exhaust system to chose!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exhaust system to chose!

I drive a 00 civic si and I have my mind set on two exhaust systems. Apexi WS2 and/or Mugen Twin Loop. If any of you have had an experience with these two please fill me in on your positive and negative inputs. Your help is well appreciated. I want a nice quiet exhaust but one that can produce maximum power. If there are any other systems you would recommend please all fill me in. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What exhaust system to chose!

Apex'i WS2. There is a reason why everyone on H-T loves it. Even though it's a little pricier than others it's extremely well built and the sound is perfect. It's never too loud and it doesn't drone like other exhausts do. Great performance also.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My only argument is the size and looks of WS2. It does sound good!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Size and looks? I'm pretty sure that people buy it because it's not a "fart can" exhaust like almost every other exhaust out there. It's not supposed to be like all the other "fart can" exhausts, it's supposed to be the exhaust that should have come on the car from the factory and look like a factory part. The reason it sounds good is because it's a resonated and chambered exhaust, not a ****ing straight pipe.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Apex'i WS2. There is a reason why everyone on H-T loves it. Even though it's a little pricier than others it's extremely well built and the sound is perfect. It's never too loud and it doesn't drone like other exhausts do. Great performance also.
WS2 is one of the cheaper systems imo. GREAT EXHAUST!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ws2 is restrictive as well from what Ive heard
Old 12-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard good things about the Mugen Twin Loop as far as sounds and looks. My buddy has the Apexi on his RSX (I know this is a different engines thus different sounds) but it's a bit loud for my tastes.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by itsnotfast
I've heard good things about the Mugen Twin Loop as far as sounds and looks. My buddy has the Apexi on his RSX (I know this is a different engines thus different sounds) but it's a bit loud for my tastes.
What Apex'i does he have? Apex'i makes several different exhausts for every car.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a clip of the Mugen Twin Loop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-52yeK5n4

And here is the Apexi WS2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVmzpXRnL3Y

Both vids are on B series engines
Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mugen Twin Loop and the Apexi are kind of in a different league, IMO. If you're talking about a real Twin Loop, it's going to cost dramatically more than the WS2... I'd say at least double.

I've got a WS2, and I love it. IMO, it's the best you can get for a DD street car. Obviously, it's more restrictive than a straight-through style, but it's much quieter. I can vouch for the video posted above: it's quiet as stock at idle. It's only a bit louder than stock under load. But it sounds sooooo much better than stock.

It's put together very well, made of quality materials, looks good, sounds good, and is cheap. It's quiet enough that you shouldn't attract police attention, cheap enough that you don't have to worry about banging it around constantly. I'd recommend it for any Civic that isn't highly boosted, or spends most of its time on the track. I'll be the first to admit that the Mugen is almost certainly a better exhaust, but the price difference isn't worth it to me.

Buy it.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the mugen twin loop is hella pricey.. if you can get one for cheap then props to you.

the ws2 is a great choice for a daily, its very quiet.

. buy an exhaust that works with your set up.
if your going to running boost, you can get the ws2 muffler in a turbo version ( 80mm piping), and have a muffler shop make a custom exhaust.

if you want a twin loop for the bling factor, you can get a Netami Twin loop. they look like the mugen , and are 1/3 of the price. The netami has a nice deep tone and isnt loud at all.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

twinloop is great. Great sound, and minimum droning.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Holy crap, I never realized the Twin Loop was so expensive. I will gladly pay the 395 shipped for the Apex'i World Sport 2 any day before the Twin Loop. lol
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Holy crap, I never realized the Twin Loop was so expensive. I will gladly pay the 395 shipped for the Apex'i World Sport 2 any day before the Twin Loop. lol
haha, yeah... it's like BMW. It's expensive because it has the magical Mugen dust in it.

And I'm vouching that you can definitely still get WS2 catbacks for around $400 shipped if you know where to look.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For me, I wouldn't get either. Here is why....

Apexi sounds like complete crap (to me). Sure for a DD where you never "race" or reach a high top end, it sound magnificent, but once you hit the higher rpm (6200 or more) it begins to sound like complete dog crap.(my motor red lines at 7200 and fuel cut at 7400, and some other Honda's may got to 8200 or even 9200, 11k if you got a spoon motor).

Mugen Twin Loop is fantastic, but the price far exceeds the need in my honest opinion.

You should either get a Skunk2 exhaust system (which I own) or a Fujitsubo exhaust system. (you can find the skunk2 cat-back on ProCivic.com and the Fujitsubo on PasswordJDM.com). I have the skunk2, and sure its louder than most exhausts, but the whole RPM band sounds perfect. No crackle, pop, sizzle or snore. And it doesn't "wine" either. So far where I live everyone who owns "other" brands end up asking what mine is because its so awesome, and I easily say "skunk 2". If I had 400 more dollars when I baught my exhaust, I would have gotten a Fujitsubo instead. But I am a "price for performance" buyer, so in the end, they do the same thing, but the Fujitsubo sounds better, and the Mugen sounds better than that.

The real idea would be to go to a car meet, and talk to people. Find out what exhaust they have, ask for a ride along to see how it sounds. Some may tell you to **** off but some may be cool about it.

Just whatever you do, don't buy your exhaust from ebay. Half the people I know went to ebay for a "cheaper" skunk2 kit and ended up with a car that sounds nothing like mine (and it should sound similar if not the same depending on motor and parts etc.)
Old 12-06-2009, 02:34 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

I agree with most of your post, but:

Originally Posted by Del Namco Solo
Apexi sounds like complete crap (to me). Sure for a DD where you never "race" or reach a high top end, it sound magnificent, but once you hit the higher rpm (6200 or more) it begins to sound like complete dog crap.(my motor red lines at 7200 and fuel cut at 7400, and some other Honda's may got to 8200 or even 9200, 11k if you got a spoon motor).
I know it's your subjective opinion, but what sounds so bad to you about the WS2? My engine redlines at 8200, and it sounds fantastic in vtec, all the way to 8200. It's just a deep throaty howl with no buzz or anything. Doesn't even sound like a 4 cylinder.

What engine/headers did you hear it on? You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm just curious, seeing as how most people, myself included, really like the WS2 sound a lot more than most other Honda exhausts.

Seriously, you don't like how this sounds? This is very close to how mine sounds on the gsr: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU-2fbuuoZY
Old 12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For me, I wouldn't get either. Here is why....

Mugen Twin Loop is fantastic, but the price far exceeds the need in my honest opinion.

You should either get a Skunk2 exhaust system (which I own) or a Fujitsubo exhaust system. (you can find the skunk2 cat-back on ProCivic.com and the Fujitsubo on PasswordJDM.com). I have the skunk2, and sure its louder than most exhausts, but the whole RPM band sounds perfect. No crackle, pop, sizzle or snore. And it doesn't "wine" either. So far where I live everyone who owns "other" brands end up asking what mine is because its so awesome, and I easily say "skunk 2". If I had 400 more dollars when I baught my exhaust, I would have gotten a Fujitsubo instead. But I am a "price for performance" buyer, so in the end, they do the same thing, but the Fujitsubo sounds better, and the Mugen sounds better than that.

The real idea would be to go to a car meet, and talk to people. Find out what exhaust they have, ask for a ride along to see how it sounds. Some may tell you to **** off but some may be cool about it.

Just whatever you do, don't buy your exhaust from ebay. Half the people I know went to ebay for a "cheaper" skunk2 kit and ended up with a car that sounds nothing like mine (and it should sound similar if not the same depending on motor and parts etc.)
EL OH EL "11k if you got a spoon motor"
Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

And another clip to defend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIVQ6jyu5E

That's exactly how they're supposed to sound on a B series. It's really not loud, just sounds good when you romp on it.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

once you hit the higher rpm (6200 or more) it begins to sound like complete dog crap.(my motor red lines at 7200 and fuel cut at 7400, and some other Honda's may got to 8200 or even 9200, 11k if you got a spoon motor).
****, screw the exhaust, get that spoon motor =P
Old 12-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
See that right there, is nothing like the WS2 I've heard. In that you hear the motor over the exhaust, its really quiet. THAT one video is not bad I will admit that. But from the in person cars I've seen, they sounded like complete shyt (I dunno what they had done, open cat/high flow/stock cat, headers, whatever.)

My Skunk2 is clean as hell sounding. I wish I had a video but I don't own a camcorder. I have stock header and a high flow cat and it sounds great and everyone tells me it should sound like ****. I am also on a D series, you can actually hear my vtec kick in (3" intake, 2.5" exhaust, high flow cat, D16z6).
Old 12-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Skunk2 is clean as hell sounding. I wish I had a video but I don't own a camcorder. I have stock header and a high flow cat and it sounds great and everyone tells me it should sound like ****. I am also on a D series, you can actually hear my vtec kick in (3" intake, 2.5" exhaust, high flow cat, D16z6).
D series Vtec = Joke.
i dont really understand how an exhaust sounds "clean" either, it either has a nice tone, or it sounds like a recently sexually molested wasp. Why do you have such big piping on your single cam?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nix94delsol
D series Vtec = Joke.
i dont really understand how an exhaust sounds "clean" either, it either has a nice tone, or it sounds like a recently sexually molested wasp. Why do you have such big piping on your single cam?
Going turbo within the next year (mid 2010). I planned ahead.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeeaaahhh...

How come you ruled out the RSX muffler? i always thought it had a really nice tone.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get the apexi ws2, i have it on my civic coupe gsr swap and it sounds real nice
Old 12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Going turbo within the next year (mid 2010). I planned ahead.
then you ahve short changed yourself for now and the long run. 3 inch is really the best for a street turbo set up. 2.5 will work but imo 3 inch is best.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What exhaust system to chose!