Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

What Engine Do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Engine Do I have?

I recently bought a 1997 Del Sol Si but when I bought it the guy told me the engine had been changed out. He didn't know anything more then that such as Milage on new motor, the model of new motor, etc, etc ... I am just curious as to how I would go about knowing what engine it is and whether it is possible to get the milage off the engine some how?! Also if it is a high milage motor should I bother switching it over to synthetic oil now or just keep using plain ol regular oil !?!

Thanks in advance for the help

Soc
Old 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Engine Do I have? (Socratez)

Go outside right now and look at your motor. On the left side of the engine block, below the distributor, just under the head, there is a flat square about 2". Stamped on it will be an engine code. For example, d15b7, d16z6, b16a2, or something similar.

Tell us the engine code, and we will tell you whats up with your motor.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:20 PM

no way to find the actual milage that i know of. you can find the engine type though. it will be engraved into the side of the block right under the left side of the head. heres a pic to help

Old 10-01-2006, 08:11 PM

Ok thanks I'll go out and check it when I am off work ... I was hoping the ECU would somhow tell me milage but it is not a big deal .. .I think I will upgrade the motor within the year so I am not worrid oo much. I just want to make sure all the gaskets got changed and the timing belt is all good etc etc .. You never know what you get when buying somebody else's car ... I'd just like to be sure it is running in optimal form.

I am going to run Seafoam engine treatment on it this coming week and change all filters (Air, Fuel, Oil) and decid whether or not to go with synthetic oil. Somebody told me it is rougher on gaskets and high milage engines to use synthetic. Is this true??

Thanks Again

Soc
Old 10-01-2006, 08:20 PM

from what i understand, using regular oil on the car for many years and miles will cause sludge to build up.

if you start using synthetic now, it will get rid of the sludge and might cause a leak because your valves has been adjusted to the sludge.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Default Re: (ATEJ8FTW)

A buddy of mine has had a few cars that he has ended up changing to synthetic oil. He said the best luck he has had is to run the motor on part-synthetic for a little while, and then go to full synthetic.

-Shane
Old 10-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (nighttrain33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nighttrain33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A buddy of mine has had a few cars that he has ended up changing to synthetic oil. He said the best luck he has had is to run the motor on part-synthetic for a little while, and then go to full synthetic.

-Shane</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm in this process as well. i've gone 6k on castrol syntec blend 5w30. this next change im going full synthetic. only 69k on motor, y8..metal head gasket

i've heard good things about mobile1 synthetic, but for some reason im a castrol fanboy...can anyone change my mind? hope this helps the original poster also, not intending to thread jack.
Old 10-01-2006, 09:03 PM

So I should get the Garage doing the filter changes and oil change to do a blend the next few times ? Then after that go Full synthetic? Also would changing the gaskets avoid the possbility of things leaking after the switch over? I am willing to put the $$ in if it will be beneficial to the car. I figured a Timing belt + Gasket change would be good for the car anyhow ...

Thanks again

Soc
Old 10-01-2006, 09:12 PM

its a good idea to start off with a syn blend before going full syn.

well if you were to switch over, wait to see if you leak then fix it. no point in spending $ if not need, unless you want to.

mostly, if you don't plan on building up the engine, i don't recommend going through all the trouble and $ to "better" the engine because most honda engines last forever even on dino oil.

you said you wanted to seafoam too, their has been post about ppl leaking because of getting rid of the sludge aswell as the possibility hydrolocking your engine. just read the instructions posted somewhere here carefully and pour SLOWLY.